Trying to Decide on First BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KJ.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, Board. First post here.

Trying to amass my own dive gear collection again. I am purchasing a combination of mostly used (with a few new items).

Right now I have a Tusa Liberator BC but a local dive shop won't service it. They said I really should have a weight integrated one anyways. Having considered opinions and pros and cons of different weight options, I would think that using my weight belt (XS scuba nylon modified from 8 to 4 pockets with soft weights) should work for me. I will be diving cold water (not sure yet on warm water diving in the future) and have never dove dry before with my DS certification scheduled for next month. Right now I have a Bare neoprene drysuit and cylinder will be steel 95.

I am trying to decide on the best BC option for me:

1. jacket style with no weight integration and just belt?
2. weight integrated?
3. back inflation (A "wing"? Are they the same for all intents and purposes?), possibly with back plate?
4. harness in addition to BC?

The person that I bought some of my current gear from does a lot of underwater boat repair and other work and harness is definitely his style since he needs to change weight setup and placement for the different jobs that he does in addition to recreational diving - although I don't like the idea of buying and having another thing to throw on. I have only ever used a jacket style BC with belt and never had issues with buoyancy or maintaining trim that I remember (again, I have only ever dove warm water). From another seller I found an Aqua Lung Patriot in what appears to be excellent condition and a good price and wondered if it might be a good option but the person that I bought my gear from did not recommend it because it's only back inflation (i.e. no side flotation) and that I want something that rolls me onto my back and not my face. Here is the link:

Considering all of the above, I feel that either: a.) a jacket BC with belt or b.) weight integrated BC (with or without weights - weights in the belt if using without option) should be a good setup for me but I am wondering if I can get more recommendations for my situation? Perhaps some direct links to gear? I didn't want to spend more than $300 (for used or new) but that plan might change depending on how well and reliable I think that something will work out for me.

I am also considering just servicing the offhand Tusa myself everytime in the future but not sure if that's a good idea or not. It seems that it is currently serviceable and everything works alright.

Please let me know if I need to provide more information. Thanks a lot in advance!

If you are happy with your BCD, find another shop. This one is obviously more interested in selling you new equipment than meeting your needs. Also there's nothing wrong with a weight belt.

That said, if you want to switch, I'm one of those who will advocate for a backplate plus wing (BP/W) and harness. The following video is a pretty balanced comparison. Make sure you read the comments to get the full picture.

It's worth noting that since you are in cold water, a stainless steel backplate will let you get rid of 6-8 pounds of lead. This is probably the best deal on a complete BP/W setup ($424 with a stainless plate). DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

I have the Atomic BC2 which is back-inflate and all the talk of rolling forward on surface is absolute nonsense and I'm glad I didn't listen to that. Perhaps if you're unconscious it's an issue but if you lay on your back on the surface (think inverted turtle) is is effortless keeping your face out of the water. Can't speak to the specific BC you cited but that's my 2 cents based on my own experience with the perceived major drawback of back-inflate.

Since you're headed toward a drysuit, a stainless steel backplate & wing (30 lb lift capacity). The backplate takes the place of some of the lead you will need. Jacket BCs are typically unnecessarily padded -- requiring additional lead to offset -- so I don't see the point. You can get integrated weights for a BP/W, but doing so will probably put you a little over your $300 bogey. (A non-plate BCD will be even more unless you can find used.)

I have my single-tank rig setup with small trim pockets on the waist belt -- perfect for 3mm ocean dives. When I use this with a drysuit, I add a weight belt with the additional lead I need. This avoids having huge pockets with small lead bricks sliding/clunking around when I use the 3mm suit and greatly reduces the weight of the rig for drysuit dives (useful when changing tanks on a boat dive).

OK, now a more serious response:

I'll start with an "if I were you in this situation" response. Find a dive shop that'll service the TUSA. Or service it yourself if you're competent to do so. They are just not that complicated a device. Of the options you're talking about, I'm not thrilled.

That said, for the long run the following might help:

Back plate and wing setups (BPW) have a lot of advantages. They are definitely NOT all the same, though the differences really have to do with the wing. (How much lift, what shape, etc.) The nice thing is as a new diver you can set yourself up with a wing for single-tank diving and if you decide later you want to go to doubles and do tech diving (or what have you) you can just swap out the wing. You don't need to buy a whole new unit. You can also rig weights in all kinds of interesting places (e.g., by bolting to the backplate) which allows you to adjust to a weight distribution that's optimized to you.

The disadvantage of a BPW is that it helps if you like to tinker with them just a bit. It's not as complicated as tearing apart a regulator, but tools and creativity might have to be involved.

In terms of back inflate vs. stab. jacket, I tend to prefer back inflate because it trims out nicely under water. But it doesn't inherently keep you face up on the surface, which throws some people off at first.

On weights: I hate weight belts. I'm diving a dry suit in salt water which means a lot of weight. I'd rather have it all in the BCD or elsewhere and not around my waist. The main reason for this is I'm a guy, which means I don't have hips. Weight belts tend to slide off (neoprene especially) when you're trying to exit the water on to a beach. There are a couple of other disadvantages as well. It's one more thing to carry to the dive site. Some folks find them uncomfortable, especially if molded lead weights are involved.

With a BPW, you can get weight pouches of your own choosing. I'm fond of the SCUBAPRO style, which has clips you have to pinch to release the pouches, but the pouches themselves slide right out. I'm not a fan of the styles that have release handles: They seem to come off when you don't want them to (at least on my students) and stick in when you want them out. But this really is a personal thing, and I will admit to being biased. I'd note I really, really, really don't like Aqualung's weight system. I wouldn't put myself or anybody I loved in one if I could avoid it. Unlike split fins, they won't necessarily kill you. But I've had more students temporarily or permanently lose weight pouches from them than I can remember.

My BPW setup is from Hollis, but has SCUBAPRO weight pouches. If I had to replace my wing, I'm not sure I'd go Hollis again. (Not anything wrong with it, but I'm not married to sticking with it.) I did opt for padded shoulder straps with quick releases and a chest strap because I'm old, have some mild arthritis in my shoulders, and I'm just not that proud. (OK, old in this group is substantially older than the average person.)

(The split fins reference is an inside joke on SCUBABoard.)

Reactions: KJ.
Thank you to all for your responses. This is good info and direction for me!

I think the shop provides the gear for the DS certification so if I can use my Tusa or try different ones of theirs then that may give me an idea of those setups so I may do that first before springing on any BP/W setup gear.

That being said, I did find a few "economically-priced" items scouring around eBay that look like they would be my size (Large drysuit):

-a BP with harness (Palantic). I saw in another thread a couple people unsure of its reliability. But one forum user said the SS is solid (also the webbing looks to be the same as others that would have compatibility with common brand name wings):

-OMS rig:

I can't help but exercise caution enough to hold off now though. i don't know the exact condition of the 2nd one, either. Thoughts before I make any decisions?

Thank you to all for your responses. This is good info and direction for me!

I think the shop provides the gear for the DS certification so if I can use my Tusa or try different ones of theirs then that may give me an idea of those setups so I may do that first before springing on any BP/W setup gear.

That being said, I did find a few "economically-priced" items scouring around eBay that look like they would be my size (Large drysuit):

-a BP with harness (Palantic). I saw in another thread a couple people unsure of its reliability. But one forum user said the SS is solid (also the webbing looks to be the same as others that would have compatibility with common brand name wings):

-OMS rig:

I can't help but exercise caution enough to hold off now though. i don't know the exact condition of the 2nd one, either. Thoughts before I make any decisions?
No on the first one. It doesn't include a wing and cam bands so will end up being more expensive than the DGX.

The second gives me a bad vibe. It looks really beat up, it's some weird hybrid of BCD and BP/W, and then you've got the homemade (?) surgical tubing ties to try to keep the wing streamlined. OMS is generally a quality manufacturer, but I'd stay away from this.

Dgx, Halcyon, Helium, or Pirahna BPW's. Mix matching however you see fit. It ain't rocket science.

I use a weight belt since I'm tall. Some weight goes on the BPW, some goes on me. I use bungie weight plates on my BPW. Move weight around for trim.

A BPW is going to be better suited for a drysuit. Tends to be nicer to sling extra tanks as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom