Trying the Scubapro road

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You made some great gear choices, if your local shop is a good one, you will have many years of enjoyable diving experiences with them. Also, your parts for life program is actually well worth it. I am a ScubaPro dealer in OKC, the parts kit for a MK17 costs me $19.53 so don't let anyone tell you a parts kit for a first stage is 2 bucks. For some reason a lot of people on scubaboard are just bitter when people buy new equipment. As far as your G260 goes, I took mine down to 230' and it worked GREAT. I hope you are enjoying diving so far!
exactly, folks here like to act like the cheaper the better and if it isn't a $300 BP/W set up and a $350 Apeks or HOG reg then you overpaid and are stupid. ridiculous if you ask me.

I have always dove Scubapro, always had good luck, good service, and well performing gear. I likely always will dive Scubapro. If it wasn't quality gear that will last you an entire diving career if taken care of, they wouldn't have been a leader in the industry for more than 50 years now.

Also, this was posted in the Scubapro forum, it amazes me the people that read this forum that obviously hate everything Scubapro. AFAIK those of you who like to whine, bitch, and complain have your own forum, just look for the DIR forum.

OP, My current set up is the Mk25/S600 black tech, LUNA, and Glide Pro BC w/Air II for a jacket style BC, I also have a SP XTek BP/W set up that I really enjoy as well.

Hope you enjoy your new gear, you bought quality stuff that will last you and your wife a very very long time. Much longer than the 5 years you stated. Tastes evolve, and there is always a new product to try, but what you have could be in your gear closet and give you years and years of enjoyment. Welcome to diving!

Just curious, where in Tennessee are you and the SP LDS?

I will second the comments made by ScubaBros. You made excellent choices and I am sure you will be very happy with the gear. I currently use the G250V, which is very similar to the G260, and I think it is the best breathing second stage I've ever had. I have an A700 (which is much more expensive) just gathering dust on the shelf because I like the way the G250V performs better. Once upon a time I had an Atomic and did not like it from the beginning because it has two-step breathing. The Scubapro regs perform much better than Atomic, IMHO.

Thanks! I thought I had made a good choice, I guess others think differently! LOL. After some of the flack I got I was half tempted to go back to my LDS and pick up an additional S600 and G260 for spares or Octos. I agree with your assessment that some seem to think that if it isn't cheap then I overpaid. In 15 years of law enforcement I have learned a few things and one is that cheapest doesn't protect me when it's my ass on the line. I wanted the best I could afford and I feel that my choices were exactly that.

Thanks for the welcome also. I am just North of Nashville and I go to Rhea's Diving Services in Maryville.

exactly, folks here like to act like the cheaper the better and if it isn't a $300 BP/W set up and a $350 Apeks or HOG reg then you overpaid and are stupid. ridiculous if you ask me.

I have always dove Scubapro, always had good luck, good service, and well performing gear. I likely always will dive Scubapro. If it wasn't quality gear that will last you an entire diving career if taken care of, they wouldn't have been a leader in the industry for more than 50 years now.

Also, this was posted in the Scubapro forum, it amazes me the people that read this forum that obviously hate everything Scubapro. AFAIK those of you who like to whine, bitch, and complain have your own forum, just look for the DIR forum.

OP, My current set up is the Mk25/S600 black tech, LUNA, and Glide Pro BC w/Air II for a jacket style BC, I also have a SP XTek BP/W set up that I really enjoy as well.

Hope you enjoy your new gear, you bought quality stuff that will last you and your wife a very very long time. Much longer than the 5 years you stated. Tastes evolve, and there is always a new product to try, but what you have could be in your gear closet and give you years and years of enjoyment. Welcome to diving!

Just curious, where in Tennessee are you and the SP LDS?

---------- Post added July 30th, 2014 at 11:01 AM ----------

From what I know, the G250 was their number one selling reg for a long time because it worked. I am happy with the gear that I picked up and at this point can care less what the haters think lol

I will second the comments made by ScubaBros. You made excellent choices and I am sure you will be very happy with the gear. I currently use the G250V, which is very similar to the G260, and I think it is the best breathing second stage I've ever had. I have an A700 (which is much more expensive) just gathering dust on the shelf because I like the way the G250V performs better. Once upon a time I had an Atomic and did not like it from the beginning because it has two-step breathing. The Scubapro regs perform much better than Atomic, IMHO.

Thanks! I thought I had made a good choice, I guess others think differently! LOL. After some of the flack I got I was half tempted to go back to my LDS and pick up an additional S600 and G260 for spares or Octos. I agree with your assessment that some seem to think that if it isn't cheap then I overpaid. In 15 years of law enforcement I have learned a few things and one is that cheapest doesn't protect me when it's my ass on the line. I wanted the best I could afford and I feel that my choices were exactly that.

Thanks for the welcome also. I am just North of Nashville and I go to Rhea's Diving Services in Maryville.

Cool, I have been in Rhea's before and have bought a few trinkets in there over the years. Nice shop, nice guys/gals and a lot of them are into public safety diving and also tech diving. David Rhea is a long time cave instructor and is one of the main guys/instructors with GUE, which is ironic since most of the guys being negative towards you are part of the DIR cult.

N of Nashville to Maryville is a pretty good hike as well. My folks had a house down in Copperhill close to the Ocoee, until it burned 2 months ago, so I am very familiar with that area between there and Knoxville.

Nonetheless, I think you did great and will really enjoy the gear. Eventually you may have something different, or a different set up for different types of diving, but I am willing to bet you will always have a use for what you bought currently.

Another part of it for me is, I see where some folks say to rent for awhile and figure out what you want. However, I am of the school of thought that you are making a large financial investment buying your own gear, you are more likely to continue diving and continue learning more diving skills, etc because of that investment. That is what the industry needs, as there is a decline in numbers of new divers or still active divers. I think a lot of that stems from negativity and closed mindedness within the diving community itself. We are our own worst enemy. You will also be a better/safer diver because you will be more comfortable in your own gear, know how it fits, how it works, and that it works!

Good luck with your coursework, maybe we will cross paths and blow some bubbles one day!

I had an Atomic and did not like it from the beginning because it has two-step breathing. The Scubapro regs perform much better than Atomic, IMHO.

Thank you for a new, humorous quote. What, pray tell, do you think "two-step breathing" is?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom