Try to explain this to your insurance company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talk about getting in your personal space :D.

I see now theres some discussions over the validity of the photo, the key issue they say is that the skipper do's not appear to be looking at the whale.

Whatever the case, its quite an "interesting" scenario.:D

Not sure if this should've gone in the accidents and incidents forum:D

News - South Africa: Whale that jumped on boat 'harassed' [PICS]

Too Bad it wasn't the Ady Gil. the whale landed on. that would have been SOME photo! :rofl3:

:D

btw.... here is a LA Times article on the above being photoshopped

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/out...-breaching-whale-is-it-real-or-photoshop.html

<snicker>

I believe it was they who got in the whale's personal space ...

I see now theres some discussions over the validity of the photo, the key issue they say is that the skipper do's not appear to be looking at the whale.

Whatever the case, its quite an "interesting" scenario.:D

If you've ever witnessed a whale breaching, it doesn't always come up where you're expecting it to. Reports I read were that the wife was on the leeward side of the boat looking down, because they were expecting the whale to swim under the boat. That would be consistent with where the helmsman was looking, and probably saved her life when the whale landed on the windward rail ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you've ever witnessed a whale breaching, it doesn't always come up where you're expecting it to. Reports I read were that the wife was on the leeward side of the boat looking down, because they were expecting the whale to swim under the boat. That would be consistent with where the helmsman was looking, and probably saved her life when the whale landed on the windward rail ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah, maybe, - it would be a very,very,rare occurance and hense photo if its genuine.

Whales are generally very aware of their surroundings, and although these whales (Southern Right Whales) dont use sonar as they feed on krill they have excellant vision and hearing, I think it would be very rare for them to not see the yacht. Its possible I guess but, looking at the photo's of the damage, I also dont think it is consistant with a whale landing on the deck.:D

Whale%20breaches%20onto%20yacht

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom