Try A Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doublesdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey folks,

International Scuuba is haveing a Whites Dry Suit Demo day at the Garland store on Feb 7. It should be a lot of fun. Get to try out the dry suit you want in the pool with a Whites rep and several instructors available.

You can. But they have rental gear there I'm sure they will let people use for free.

Hi Swampers,

We are having Eric from Whites Drysuits here at our Garland shop to show off their newest toys.
I'm sure many folks are looking to try out the cool new Fusion Dry Suit. Eric will also have a little bit of everything from Whites to check out. We will have all the gear needed to give a test drive here on hand. If you have a favorite mask feel free to bring that along.
I hopefully will be busy diving my White's drysuit that day in the Flower Gardens weather permitting. I talked with Anthony and he is going to be grilling up dogs and we'll have beverages for all. (Canadian beer would be a good choice Anthony)
Hopefully we can get this drysuit diving off the ground here in North Texas and I'll have some winter dive buddies this year. My new bride even gave me a nice heater to keep warm during surface intervals.

Cheers,
Rich

SNIP>Hopefully we can get this drysuit diving off the ground here in North Texas and I'll have some winter dive buddies this year. SNIP>quote]

I would say the winter diving here in Texas is off the ground, and in the water as it were. Lots of us have dry suits and we dive them all winter long. I hope you get some people for your demo, but you may find the majority of TSD'ers either have a dry suit, want a dry suit ( but can't afford one yet), dive in 7mm's with hoods and gloves, or work for dive shops where they can get them at cost already. You might try the local dive clubs like Finz, Diving Rebels, Scubadillos, etc. I think the Rebels and the Dillo's use to have a dry suit demo weekend in conjunction with their wine and cheese contest. I am not sure if they still do that or not.
Good luck with the event!

I will confirm everything Debra just said.

Rich, I wish you the best. I am sure you will get a couple of people to show up; but by and large, as an active member of the North Texas Dive community, I can divide people into the following groups:

1) Have a dry suit and use it on a whim
2) Don't have a dry suit. Want one. Can't afford it.
3) Wear 7mm suits with personalized modifications to 'emulate' a dry suit. For the difference in performance, just suck it up and be tough.
4) People who will not dive in cold water lakes. No how. No way. No need for a dry suit.

But, there are always new divers entering the hobby; so, as they say, past performance is no indicator of future performance. I am not a licensed financial advisor. Nor am I a licensed diving advisor. You should do your own research and due dilligence before making an investment. The advice contained in this post is in the form of general information only and is derived from sources believed to be true and correct. Your situation may be different and requires an individual assessment. Consult your local dive business advisor.

1) Have a dry suit and use it on a whim
2) Don't have a dry suit. Want one. Can't afford it.
3) Wear 7mm suits with personalized modifications to 'emulate' a dry suit. For the difference in performance, just suck it up and be tough.
4) People who will not dive in cold water lakes. No how. No way. No need for a dry suit.

5) People like Frank who dive 40* water in a 3mil with no hood or gloves.

Ill be up there tomorrow, Im going to bring all my own gear since it is what I would normally be diving the suit in... assuming thats ok?

Hi,
Debra I agree there are some very active swamppers during the winter. Thanks for the tips I put them to good use. I remember not to many years ago when I would pull up on a cold Feb morning at CSSP and wait for others to show up so I could tag along with someone. Usually it was a group of swampers and I remember one Sunday in particular that you were heading it up. I just wish that the run of the mill divers would realize the correct exposure protection and picking one of the many warm days that pop up allows for great winter diving. I know, I know I'm preaching to the choir. :)

I need too keep a closer eye on whats happening so I can join ya'll again real soon. I have fallen into the rut of only diving training dives of late.

Thanks to all the people that came by to check out the Fusion Suit. We had a good turn out of 25 divers. I met several new people and Eric from Whites was impressed with the friendly Texas divers.

Cheers,
Rich

Back
Top Bottom