Trusting your anchor while diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If diving on a reef (We don't have much wreck diving as they get pounded into the reefs) and I am concerned with being able to return to the anchor line, I tie off a reel. I can go in any direction 400ft. Then reel back, pick another direction, and go another 400ft. We will "wind" up back at the anchor.

If you leave your boat unattended, eventually you will be left unattended.
What kind of boat do you own or have you owned? What was your ground tackle that left you?

Depends on conditions. One of the reasons I started diving solo was so one of us could stay on the boat.

I would be much more comfortable diving solo than from an unattended boat. Especially deco dives...

What kind of boat do you own or have you owned? What was your ground tackle that left you?

I would like to know that too. To me thats no different than saying "If you walk on a sidewalk, eventually you are going to get hit by a car"... it is simply not true when you speak in absolutes like that.

I would conceed that if you don't cover all of your bases, eventually, the stars might align and you might have an issue. Thats why you cover all of your bases.

---------- Post added November 19th, 2012 at 11:33 PM ----------

I would be much more comfortable diving solo than from an unattended boat. Especially deco dives...

And here I thought you were eventually gonna come down to Pompano Beach and go diving with us!

My husband and I decided to get a boat to avoid the charter game, and for several years we did just that... throw the anchor, yes with a lot of scope, with plenty of chain.

We went down the line and made sure the anchor was truly set, if viz wasn't great we use one of our reels from the anchor to guarantee that we would find the way back.

We did this shallow and deep, off Panama City Beach and off the Pompano area, never an issue. Until one day.

That weird day during a shallow dive on Pompano, great viz, calms seas, nothing out of the ordinary. A location we had done so many times I think the garden eels recognized us when we showed up. On the way back at the end of the dive immediately we spotted the anchor but wait something is not right... the chain is laying down as it should but so is about 10 or 15 feet of line just laying in the sand, keep looking expecting to see the a cut off line or something, but no it was the continuation of the line from flat in the sand to perfectly vertical to the surface, what?? I didn't know what to think neither did my husband but we started to move fast to it. Before reaching the line the whole assembly: line, chain and anchor took off, at that point we both figure someone was stealing the boat, my husband managed to grab the line and work his way up to the boat.

It was a freak kind of storm, some how the wind stop to zero, which caused the line to go flat, the very strong wind started fast in a direction opposite to what it was when we first set the anchor, that turn the boat around and let the anchor loose.

the boat would've ended on some rocks, unless it crashed to another boat on its path. On that location we could've swam to the shore but that made us wonder of all the what ifs.

On few occasions we have left the boat after that, but not often and mostly keeping an eye on the line.

We decided that is better to dive solo one at a time than together leaving the boat empty.

Last edited:
Have a look at a couple of incidents from my web site. The first one Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site happened to me a short time after we got the boat. The second one happened to a friend of mine Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site.

I would never leave a boat unattended again. I never have in the almost 20 years since. We always leave at least someone with the boat. It could be that the divers are the first ones in and they are under the boat holding onto the deco weight, but they are with the boat. We always make sure that the two most experienced boat handlers are in separate groups. No point in leaving someone on the boat who cannot operate it proficiently.

Back
Top Bottom