Truk & Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been in Palau twice, the first time was nervous as I had heard about rough currents but found them exhilarating and nothing to be nervous about at all. Blue Corner is absolutely NOT TO BE MISSED! My favorite dive in the world. Big drop off, Turtle Wall, all the dives near Blue Corner are fabulous. Inside the reef much less dramatic. Lots of rain in March when I was there, more than November of 2002. Must be the typhoon activity the others have been talking about. Guess we better stop this global warming?? Have a GREAT TRIP!!

Blue Corner Blue Corner Blue Corner!!!
Get yourself a reef hook and enjoy the face peeling currents! Just don't get washed over before everyone else like I did. Scared the poo poo out of me. Loosing my regulator at the same time didn't help either.

PPR is nice but $$$$. I recommend Fish N Fins.

Palau, My backyard! Fish n fins or Sams, both are great. Forget wasting your money on the PPR, the West Plaza hotels are 1/2 the price or even much less. Better yet forget the Hotel and book the Aggressor! 5 dives a day and no 1 hour commute via boat to the sites. Although, the ride is through the beautiful Rock Islands. As for global warming, in reality, the weather in Micronesia has not really changed. there are two seasons, Rain and Sun EVERY DAY!

Blue Corner is nice but I prefer Big drop off. there are some nice wrecks, Chandler Cave, a mandarin fish lake, and of course Jellyfish lake within the inner lagoon

Best Tip is to book your micronesia travel through one of the two Guam dive operations. this will most likely save you a lot of cash. contact me via a Private message for info if you wish.

Now back into my hole I go

Chris

My wife and I are planning to head to Palau this November, land based with Fish and Fins (yes, we know about liveaboards and prefer land), and after reading all the comments on currents in this thread and elsewhere, I've got to ask: how hairy/scary are the currents in Palau?

We are AOW and each have 50+ dives under our belts but nearly all were made in the Cayman Islands (Grand Cayman and Little Cayman) where there is little in the way of serious current, and we've never done a drift dive. Are we going to get scared out of our wits?

Also, for those in the know, are there any NON-drift dives in Palau, for those who like to "stop and smell the roses" (so to speak) rather than shooting past everything? And what's the water temp like? Similar to the Caribbean, or is a 3mm wetsuit required?

Sorry for the flurry of questions from a first-time poster!

Matt

hi Chris,

I'd appreciate the names of the Guam agents---'just missed a liveaboard trip on the Chuuk Aggressor. I want to go!

How about Bikini?

Many thanks,
Barbara

Chris Bangs:
Palau, My backyard! Fish n fins or Sams, both are great. Forget wasting your money on the PPR, the West Plaza hotels are 1/2 the price or even much less. Better yet forget the Hotel and book the Aggressor! 5 dives a day and no 1 hour commute via boat to the sites. Although, the ride is through the beautiful Rock Islands. As for global warming, in reality, the weather in Micronesia has not really changed. there are two seasons, Rain and Sun EVERY DAY!

Blue Corner is nice but I prefer Big drop off. there are some nice wrecks, Chandler Cave, a mandarin fish lake, and of course Jellyfish lake within the inner lagoon

Best Tip is to book your micronesia travel through one of the two Guam dive operations. this will most likely save you a lot of cash. contact me via a Private message for info if you wish.

Now back into my hole I go

Chris

Matt

In answer to your question...

"We are AOW and each have 50+ dives under our belts but nearly all were made in the Cayman Islands (Grand Cayman and Little Cayman) where there is little in the way of serious current, and we've never done a drift dive. Are we going to get scared out of our wits?"

I spent a week there in June and so I can only speak from my experience...The currents were pretty unpredictable on alot of sites. We dove several twice and one time it was calm, another the currents ripped. They are advanced dives. My BF had never done currents before, and yes, he was scared alot of the time. But, he still had a great time. In some places you'll use a reef hook, which helps alot. Our DM's were awesome (we went with Big Blue Explorer) . On our first dive to the Blue Corner we were instructed to stay low on the reef, till given the signal. Then, we'd go over the edge of the reef and quickly hook on. BF didn't listen and the current caught him and ripped him over the top of the reef. Fortunately, our DM saw it, grabbed him and hooked him on the reef. He got a bit mangled on the corals, but had the experience of his life. He just learned to listen to the debriefings a little better. :11:

There are plenty of opportunities to "stop and smell the roses" I wore a 3 mm suit, did 5 dives a day and never got cold. Normally even in the Caribbean I'm freezing. BF wore a shorty and was quite comfortable.

Have a great time!

diverchuck:
I am going to Truk and Palau in a few weeks and will be staying at Truk Blue Lagoon and the Palau Pacific. Any pointers anyone has? Must see, must NOT see etc.... I am an experienced diver but have heard the currents can be pretty strong. True? Anything to be concerned about?
Is it true that the natives do not appreciate it if tourists (especially women) have shorts that are above the knee? Will I feel comfortable wearing shorts that are above the knee and tank tops?
Any advice is

Hi, I just want to say that you will have a wonderful time! I have stayed at PPR and it is very nice. I now like staying closer in town because I like not being hostage to the whole shuttle routine in the am's and after my dives back to the room. Also, I admit that I am a little spoiled living in Hawaii and since I have an awesome view of the ocean, I would rather not pay premium prices for that. Having said that, you made a good choice especially if you are traveling as a couple.
Diving: The currents can be impressive. My advice would include: Have a safety sausage just in case you are swept some distance from the group or have a problem that causes you to surface earlier than the boat captains anticipate. Also, although I do clip my reefhook off to my BCD, my advice is to use the one with the "handle" until you have the whole current thing dialed in and are comfortable with it. AND make sure your trunks are tied a little tighter than usual. Be aware of your depth, the "current" can run vertically, especially near walls so be aware that you may need to use that BCD to compensate for downdrafts occasionally.The captains are very experienced with these drifts so be assured that they know what they're doing. Still, I tend to do a little "sizing up" of the people in charge and dive accordingly.
As far as dress for women: I dress for comfort (it is hot) California style and I felt that was fine while I was there. I like to take a cover-up for air conditioned restaurants, etc. and that way if I sense a little too much attention somewhere, just put it on.
If you like collecting local art, go to the jail and do a little storyboard shopping. These beautiful carvings are local legends carved as a scene on beautiful wood. The inmates carve them instead of making license plates I guess. (tell your girlfriend this is a perfect opportunity for that sweatshirt!) Seriously, the experience was fun and I chose one that I really love. Barter a little.
You will see LOTS of sharks. I am a big chicken but I did okay and never felt they were interested in me. Oh, one more little tidbit. Most of the operators all send the same lunches and they are nothing to write home about. I am going back in early December and my plan is to scout out a tasty Thai or Italian eatery and line up my own little week of food for the boat. If you are at the PPR (Pacific Palau Resort) just order something the night before.
I am a photographer so of course I think you should take a camera. Oh--and the most important thing of all is make sure you do Blue Corner as much as possible! The action is non-stop, it is like a major freeway down there as far as the Pelagic traffic. It is different each time so don't just do it once. Personally, I would skip Jellyfish lake and German channel and try to get more Blue Corner, Blue Holes and Big Drop-off sites instead. My awesome boyfriend and I are planning to overnight on a private little rock island (New Drop-off?) and free dive, etc then get picked up in the morning by the dive boat. Put together your own program a little and just tip accordingly and the staff (Sam's Tours) will be happy to accomodate. Have a blast and if you are ever in Hawaii look us up!

catherine@pacificparadisedivers.com

I thought Jellyfish lake was very cool, and it's a good thing to do on an off-gassing day. We did a whole day kayak trip with Sam's and that was great, lots of interesting scenery with great snorkeling in Mandarinfish Lake and other places.

I liked PPR a lot, though for a higher end property a few things could have used attention like paint/wallpaper in the rooms. The breakfast buffet was very good though not cheap. The outside restaurant was ok for other meals, they have an inside restaurant which we didn't get to try but others told us it was very good and much better than the outside one. I would definitely stay there again, it was a fun place to explore and the snorkeling off the beach was great. We didn't have enough time but if I get back there I would try a shore dive off PPR, it looked like it might be a nice dive and probably a great night dive though I didn't see anyone do that. (Anyone ever done that?)

Like others have mentioned, the currents varied a lot on our dives.

"They are advanced dives. "

Wow. We're both a little out of practice (our last dives were more than 11 months ago.) Are there ANY "low-key" dives there to get one up to speed?

cavedivingwoman:
hi Chris,

I'd appreciate the names of the Guam agents---'just missed a liveaboard trip on the Chuuk Aggressor. I want to go!

How about Bikini?

Many thanks,
Barbara

I know one of those agents as they servced me vey well when I went diving in Guam (okay) and Palau (stunning). Go see Cindy at Micronesian Diving Association (www.mdaguam.com)

Go to teh travel section and email Cindy Harris, she is great to work with!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom