Truk & Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding Chuuk:

First off. If you are female, then yes; no thighs or knees if you go into the island. You're fine in Blue Lagoon; but it's offensive if you go off the resort.

Regarding Blue Lagoon. I'd be interested to hear what people's bad experiences were. I was out there a few weeks ago and we actually got stranded after being dropped off by the Odyssey for 3 extra days due to a typhoon heading towards Guam. The service we got from Blue Lagoon was -more- than anything I could have even imagined to ask for. They were extremely helpful, they were on the phone with continental on our behalf on many different occasions, they gave us a deal on the rooms; the rate that they give to flight crews that have to stay over in Chuuk. I can't say enough how wonderful they were.

There was a little bit of current when we were there; but it was out of the ordinary and I was a little injured so I'm not sure I would have noticed the current if I wasn't having issues swimming.

Yes; the Fujikawa is a definate must see... We did 3 dives on that wreck and kept finding new places to explore.

SoCalOffshore:
What is the reasoning regarding the short lengths? ARe they just conservative or is this a religious issue?
Local customs is all I know. I'm not sure the actual historical reason.

SoCalOffshore:
What is the reasoning regarding the short lengths? ARe they just conservative or is this a religious issue?
It's cultural. In Yap some women still go topless but it’s not ok to show thigh. In Chuuk (Truk), thigh showing is still considered a no-no down town but "OK" at the Blue Lagoon Resort. Just take a wrap to use when off the resort. In Palau it is not an issue. Conservatism is probably best out here when dealing with the locals. On Guam, where I live, anything goes.

Sarongs have been highly recommended I hear. I have heard that the local women do go topless but it is inappropriate for the tourists to do so.

More on Truk and Palau,
First I’ll agree with Spectre on Blue Lagoon Resort. I have been diving with Blue Lagoon since my first trip there in 1991. Back then they where a small shop down town but operated mostly from the Truk Continental Hotel. Now Blue Lagoon owns the hotel and has moved onto the hotel grounds. Since my first trip, and the eight trips there that followed, Blue Lagoon has always treated my wife and I like someone special. We have always received nothing but the best of service. Though I have wanted to do a liveabord in Truk, I just can’t think of diving Truk without Blue Lagoon. Make sure you do a night dive on the Shinkoku or Fujikawa.
As for Palau, we are headed there in 4 days. This will be our fifth trip there. Not the best time of year because of the weather, but we usually get lucky when it come to the weather. We have a friend coming out for business and wanted to ad a trip to Palau. It was real hard to talk us into it. We have dove with both Fish and Fins and Sam’s. Fish and Fins were better, but that was a few years ago, when Francis was still running them. Sam’s is “OK” but not up to the great service hype you will get from them. We have stayed at the PPR, the Marina, and the West Plaza Malakal. PPR is a little pricey but nice. Can’t recommend a must see dive, but I can do the Blue corner every day as long as the tide is right.
Rooster

diverchuck:
I am going to Truk and Palau in a few weeks and will be staying at Truk Blue Lagoon and the Palau Pacific. Any pointers anyone has? Must see, must NOT see etc.... I am an experienced diver but have heard the currents can be pretty strong. True? Anything to be concerned about?
Is it true that the natives do not appreciate it if tourists (especially women) have shorts that are above the knee? Will I feel comfortable wearing shorts that are above the knee and tank tops?
Any advice is

Both Truk Blue Lagoon and Palau Pacific are tourist hotels in tourist towns; shorts and tshirt are fine. Palau Pacific is a gorgeous resort with great food and music, and the Rock Islands (where you will dive every day) are awesome! Koror is a sleepy little town filled with nice people. Diving is awesome. Don't miss Jellyfish Lake. You can't dive there (toxic water below 60 feet), but the swimming experience is one you'll never forget.

Truk Blue Lagoon is a typical dive resort ... so/so room, grounds, and food. And the locals do not like tourists, so they are polite but no smiles or chit chat. But, Truk is an underwater preserve of about 50 wrecks (Japanese resupply fleet sunk during WW2). The deeper dives are the best if you're comfortable with 150-170 ft. It's well worth it! Truk won't have much current since you'll be inside the atol.

Palau also has about 50 wrecks, but they aren't advertised. You could ask your divemaster to schedule a couple during your visit. Since you're going to Truk, I'd probably just go to the reef sites in Palau; they're fantastic.

Your best Palau dives will be outside the atol, so will have current. Drift dives are the best, so enjoy. You don't use any energy to propel along, and the captain follows you on the surface and picks up those who run out of air first. Don't be afraid; likewise, do take heed that every now and then a diver gets sucked out to sea never to be found again. If you stay with your group, you'll be fine. The captain will stay above you.

If you have the option of spending a day or two in Yap, I'd skip it. Visibility is not too good, and the hotel is horrible. The only thing underwater worth seeing there is Mantas. Above the water, Yap money is pretty cool ... 3 foot stone disks propped in front of the village house to indicate a wealthy family. Photos on the web will give you the flavor; no need to actually go there.

Going east past Truk, Pohnpei is okay diving, but an awesome place to honeymoon. Very picturescue and secluded. You could spend a day or two resting (and seeing Nan Madol, a sunken city built of heavy basalt crystals that slowly crushed the coral reef below and sank until the people had to evacuate hundreds of years ago).

Have a great trip!

Kym

madrone

the chef was very good. he was phillipino. there were lots of soups, but i think most were chicken based or creme. there was always chicken, red meat and fish. and lots of veggies. bagels and the usual breakfast things. oatmeal, eggs, etc. i would imagine he could do vegetarian quite well. the desserts included a great cream and fruit based concoction. I don't know if you do dairy, but if you do it's delicious. none of us were vegetarians, so i really can't tell you anything that might help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom