Truk Lagoon in 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eagerbeaver

Contributor
Reaction score
Evolution will be leading a trip to Truk Lagoon in March/April 2012.

We will have 2 weeks; the first week recreational diving, the second week technical diving only. You can book one or both weeks, but either way you'll be guaranteed a good time.

Have a look here for more info

Or just let me know any questions.

Can't wait!

Matt.

Matt, what level tech diving are you looking to do?

Hi Larry,

The 'rec' week is roughly max depth 40m with most dives in the 10-30m range.

The tech week will be mostly all the deeper wrecks with a max depth of 60m - in reality more like 55m, and on most of them extended bottom times between 40-50m.

If you have more detailed questions on which wrecks we'll be diving etc then let me know as I have about 700+ dives in the Lagoon so will be picking my favorites for everyone to enjoy :)

Sorry Matt, by level I meant deep air / adv. nitrox / trimix. I'm OK for all three (IANTD adv. rec. trimix certified by Ralph Joeger), but way out of practice with more than one tank.

I'm waiting to hear on a new project, but it comes off, I'll be looking at a decent trip or two next year - joining Mike V. on a RA liveaboard is on the list as well.

If it is HMS Hermes then my buddeis and I would be more than interested.
And how about the possibility of getting a boat at Kwajalien and sail to Bikini(with all the diving permits ready)? That would be really cool.

Very cool; I'd love to join you for the tec week if I could get my wife's permission. Are those prices (on the website) predicated on double occupancy?

I did Truk on the Odyssey earlier this year and it was fantastic. But I'd love to go back and do the deeper wrecks.

If it is HMS Hermes then my buddeis and I would be more than interested.
And how about the possibility of getting a boat at Kwajalien and sail to Bikini(with all the diving permits ready)? That would be really cool.

You've completely lost me.

I know there's an HMS Hermes diveable in the English Channel, and another off Sri Lanka, but in Truk? I think you're in the wrong Ocean (Indian).

You've completely lost me.

He lost me too, but +1 on the idea of a trip to Bikini Atoll. Be curious to know what others would be willing to pay to do that trip - I'd certainly stretch myself to dive the Nagato and the Saratoga.

Mmmmmm, yes, Bikini's been on the wish list for bloody ages. Looks like it might be the tipping factor between this and Raja Amput.

Actually, bugger it. If the money's OK, I'll do both :D

Truk Odyssey is a fine liveaboard and a great way to see the wrecks of Chuuk Lagoon; however as a policy (2007), they do not carry helium or blend trimix (they have plenty of oxygen to blend for intermediate deco gases with 4L bottles and twin 11L tanks for open circuit use on deep air backgas). I recommend at least a 20/20 trimix blend for the deeper wrecks of the 4th Fleet Anchorage (San Francisco Maru, Aikoku Maru, Nagano Maru etc), and the Oite Destroyer --depth ranges from 45 to nearly 60m. It's do-able on deep air for an external tour, but I wouldn't try any major wreck penetrations at those depths because of narcosis.

The only dive op that I've regularly used (2008-2010) that had helium readily available on site to blend is the Truk Stop Dive Center. Under new management now, I would email an inquiry whether they still are stocking helium, or if you have to order it in advance now. . .

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5781377-post4.html

Good info here (Pete Mesley's website) on the wrecks:
truk lagoon wreck diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom