Question True requirements to deserve the title of Master Diver???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe a lot of people do the Divemaster course because they want to improve their diving skills, and not because they want to be professional divers. If the Master Diver course covered that need then it could be of more value to those divers than the Divemaster course. MD could be a sort of gatekeeping course, similar to GUE fundamentals, prior to DM, or maybe even tech.

Like if you did all the non-professional specific skills of DM and transferred them to MD as a form of practice and testing of strong foundational recreational skills. For example drag the following skills out of DM: the theory study and test (science of diving, etc.), fitness (maybe?), demonstration of all dive skills (the list of 24 skills) whilst neutrally buoyant and in trim, planning and leading dives. A deconstructed divemaster for the hipsters.

I'm just throwing that idea out as a fun hypothetical. But my point is if it had more of a defined goal, whether that's skill demonstration and/or gatekeeping to other levels, then it would have some value.

If you mean true *Master*, then a black belt and a long white beard must be a minimum requirement.
Good points, well said! Thanks!

Is the "Scottish" SAC a new thing or has it been around for long like BSAC?

Is it very different from BSAC?
SSAC was formed in 1953 a few months before BSAC, but currently just over 500 members. Their training is similar, in that what would be additional courses, like rescue, are core bits of the syllabus. One of the Master Diver drills is a 30m Assisted Ascent, bringing up an OOG diver.

I mentioned his name already, as well as the name of his shop, in my original post. It was about ten years ago. Just a little over ten years, as it was in the summer. July, I think.

" I used Don Labbruzzo at Deep Exposure in Cozumel"

Sorry, I missed that.

Thank you.

SSAC was formed in 1953 a few months before BSAC, but currently just over 500 members. Their training is similar, in that what would be additional courses, like rescue, are core bits of the syllabus. One of the Master Diver drills is a 30m Assisted Ascent, bringing up an OOG diver.

Are saying that they have higher standards?

Are their instructors located in Scotland only?

Are saying that they have higher standards?

Are their instructors located in Scotland only?
Higher standards, not in my opinion they’ve lowered their standard by adopting the CMAS training syllabus with a few additions. None of their courses are ISO certified. However, higher than, say PADI as Nitrox, mandatory deco, etc. are included.

Instructors, only in Scotland, as their National Diving Officer signs off all qualifications. Not the instructor that teaches them.

Well, there are several indicators of being a true "master diver", that transcend mere certifications.

1 - If you have an autographed picture of Jacques Cousteau in your bedroom, you might be a master diver.
2 - If you buy all the used gear you see on Craigslist, you might be a master diver.
3 - If you have seen all episodes of Sea Hunt, and get oddly aroused, you might be a master diver.
4 - If your vehicle has more than 3 DIR, GUE, or Halcyon sticker, you might be a master diver.
5 - If your email password is "PADI-DADDY" you might be a master diver.
6 - If you have a lot more regulators than tanks, you might be a master diver.
7 - If you have wind chimes made of old aluminum tanks, you may be a master diver.
8 - If you have more than 2 Shearwater computers, you might be a master diver.
9 - If your wife is driving a 20 year old clapped out Corolla, but you have a new Liberty rebreather and Suex scooter, you are an arsehole, but may be a master diver.

These are just a few examples.

Well, there are several indicators of being a true "master diver", that transcend mere certifications.

1 - If you have an autographed picture of Jacques Cousteau in your bedroom, you might be a master diver.
2 - If you buy all the used gear you see on Craigslist, you might be a master diver.
3 - If you have seen all episodes of Sea Hunt, and get oddly aroused, you might be a master diver.
4 - If your vehicle has more than 3 DIR, GUE, or Halcyon sticker, you might be a master diver.
5 - If your email password is "PADI-DADDY" you might be a master diver.
6 - If you have a lot more regulators than tanks, you might be a master diver.
7 - If you have wind chimes made of old aluminum tanks, you may be a master diver.
8 - If you have more than 2 Shearwater computers, you might be a master diver.
9 - If your wife is driving a 20 year old clapped out Corolla, but you have a new Liberty rebreather and Suex scooter, you are an arsehole, but may be a master diver.

These are just a few examples.
10. F****** a mermaid / got f***** by a dolphin and liked it

1729619780190.jpeg

NAUI actually had a Master Diver course that is legit. It's comprised of about 8 dives and lots of classroom time.

NAUI actually had a Master Diver course that is legit. It's comprised of about 8 dives and lots of classroom time.

I'm intrigued by the NAUI course. Does it still include planned deco, as mentioned in an earlier post?

If so, I'd be surprised but impressed. Back in the dark ages we were taught deco tables during open water in the event we wanted to do deco diving, and nobody told us not to. With a single tank, single reg set, single second stage.....

(Not saying that was smart, but it was historically true.)

This in an interesting discussion, especially the implication that NAUi Master Diver pretty much hits the mark. It has AOW as a prereq, nothing about number of dives that I can ascertain, and would appear to be more than satisfied by taking Rescue plus the following full specialties: Search and Recovery, Navigation, Night, and Deep. So if one did those specialties for the PADI MSD, would they have had the equivalent )or more) than the NAUI MD program?

Back
Top Bottom