True Minimalism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I guess I do not fully understand Hogarthianism or whatever that is. Never heard of it? I have though in recent years taken up all sorts of taboo diving practices. I dive solo. I have ditched my BC. I have eliminated all but one 2nd stage, no octupus, no nothing. I have stopped using the latest high tech computer and have gone back to my Princeton Techtonics analog bottom timer and my dive watch and the Navy Tables. I don't use a weight belt in warm water with just a lycra skin or 0 bouyancy garment and if I do use weights I attach them to my harness. I never liked snorkels even for free diving so that is gone too. My small knife clips to my back pack harness and there is no crotch strap! I have taken up with full foot fins as well. I have become the antithesis of dive shops. I don't care if PADI likes it. Yes, I guess if I go to a resort and dive on the cattle boats I have to play the game but even then I use as little equipment as possible. Lately over the last few years I have taken note that others are doing this as well. Is this a real trend? No equipemnt? No tech? N

sure, works for me too. In places like Penenkamp. If you stay shallow, you can ditch the tables, deepth and timer too. What's the knife for?

Nemrod:
I guess I do not fully understand Hogarthianism or whatever that is. Never heard of it? I have though in recent years taken up all sorts of taboo diving practices. I dive solo. I have ditched my BC. I have eliminated all but one 2nd stage, no octupus, no nothing. I have stopped using the latest high tech computer and have gone back to my Princeton Techtonics analog bottom timer and my dive watch and the Navy Tables. I don't use a weight belt in warm water with just a lycra skin or 0 bouyancy garment and if I do use weights I attach them to my harness. I never liked snorkels even for free diving so that is gone too. My small knife clips to my back pack harness and there is no crotch strap! I have taken up with full foot fins as well. I have become the antithesis of dive shops. I don't care if PADI likes it. Yes, I guess if I go to a resort and dive on the cattle boats I have to play the game but even then I use as little equipment as possible. Lately over the last few years I have taken note that others are doing this as well. Is this a real trend? No equipemnt? No tech? N

Sounds like you got the right plan to me.

I dive Hogarthian, and am putting together a rig for WW.

The long hose and a crotch strap (and -especially- a canister light) is just too much for Looe Key, or even the Adolphus Busch.

The only reason I have non-pemenant weight is is because I frequently switch from fres to salt water. Even then it wouldn't be considered ditchable.

Do what works for you.

msandler:
sure, works for me too. In places like Penenkamp.

I'd take that to a 90 ft reef, but each to their own.

msandler:
If you stay shallow, you can ditch the tables, deepth and timer too.

Use a computer.

Nothing else can compensate for multilevel diving.

msandler:
What's the knife for?

Other divers, mostly. :crafty:

The knife--well--once while diving off of Jupiter along a drop off I felt a sudden sting--dang that hurt. I turned to look at my arm and found that I was impaled by a large hook attached to mono. I cut the mono and steel leader off with my knife. I cannot really think of another time I have used or needed a knife. That is why I said "small" knife. Yeah, and after cutting the mono off the hook imbedded in my arm I did wind up as much of the mono as I could for proper disposal--while bleeding.
Now mind you, I am talking daylight open water diving in fairly clear water to 130 feet. Night diving, you need a light, cave and wreck diving and certain other diving types require redundant equipment and specialized equipment I understand.
Why do you need a computer? Not against a computer but all the batteries and gizmos make me leery of them and the extra weight. What is wrong with just using the tables like in the "old" days?
I am not arguing--just asking questions--people do the things they do for a reason and their reasons are usually good so I am not arguing. Also--please explain this Hogarthianism. I have never heard it I guess --what does it mean--who was Hogart?

I bought my first set of dive gear from money made mowing lawns--I was not certified--I bought it at JC Penny I think and it was Nemrod gear and I paid 149 dollars for the dive set. An orange Nemrod tank and backpack and a Nemrod regulator--that was it. The tank did have a reserve type valve. With that setup and a mask and Voit duck feet I had all I needed--no SPG and a capillary depth guage and my grandfather bought me a dive watch. Now I use a MR12 but it is getting old and I do have an analog SPG and Depth guage and a Princeton Techtonics bottom timer and a Heur dive watch for backup--my only redundant item. I am strongly considering going back to a double hose regulator as well--I stupidly sold mine long ago thinking it obsolete. Got me thinking, I could get rid of the knife too and maybe the SPG at least for shallower diving down to say 60ish feet. One of the things driving my minimalism--JFYI--is that I have taken up diving off of kayaks so the less equipment--the better. N

Keysdrifter454:
I'd take that to a 90 ft reef, but each to their own.
yep, thats shallow
Keysdrifter454:
Use a computer.

Nothing else can compensate for multilevel diving.
On a "standard" single, multilevel all you want. in your 90' range your air supply can be your deco limit (make your safety stop).

true minimalism=theleastyoucanpossiblegetawaywith?

Hmmm... well, personally I like to take the minimum of what I can reasonably expect to use for the dive + enough to cover reasonable contingencies.

As for those princeton tec bottom timers... I really wish mine still worked... but unfortunately none of them do anymore. I would prefer that above any other timer. I love analog because I *think* analog and the PT has such a nice big face.

msandler:
On a "standard" single, multilevel all you want. in your 90' range your air supply can be your deco limit (make your safety stop).
This is NOT true for people with below average SAC. With the low, but not uncommon, SAC of 0.4cfm (11lpm) you will still have more than 1/2 of an AL80 left when you exceed a 25 minute NDL at 90'. And that just a first dive of the day.

The saying attributed to Einstein, "As simple as possible, but no simpler", is a good goal for minimalist diving.

Charlie99:
This is NOT true for people with below average SAC. With the low, but not uncommon, SAC of 0.4cfm (11lpm) you will still have more than 1/2 of an AL80 left when you exceed a 25 minute NDL at 90'. And that just a first dive of the day.

The saying attributed to Einstein, "As simple as possible, but no simpler", is a good goal for minimalist diving.

ya ya ya <snore>, put you calculator away and lighten up. -sheesh.

Out of all the modern gadgets, the SPG is my favorite.
I always removed the pull rod off the reserve, cutting in half the number of places it could've gotten snagged on something. Still managed to whack the lever into the down position a few times though.
The "Giant UDT Duck Feet" are back into production, in case ya want to get back to some "good" fins again. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom