True Facts About The Mantis Shrimp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wingy, you mean the guy that owns the aquarium, right?

I see these quite often at Blue Heron Bridge. They are always burrowed though, but this one poked his head out last week.
IMG_0382.jpg

I didn't realize I was in such danger! If that guy would have swam out at me, I would have been surprised. Now I'll definitely keep my distance lol.

Interesting that the responses are world wide as if the aggressiveness of a mantis shrimp is something new.

I do not know the world wide distribution of mantis shrimp but I do know we have them in California.

Several generations ago the flats at Emerald bay, Catalina Island was known for its densely population of these little critters.

Often we would dive there and hunt for them.

Equipped with a short stick as a prod and an apple also on a short stick as a aggressor target we would locate a hole, prod the hole with the stick until the Mantis Shrimp appeared, place the apple in from of the mantis as if it was the antagonist. The Mantis Shrimp would aggressively repeatedly strike the apple, not once but many many times.

After the combat was finished we would examine the apple which had multiple wounds as deep as a half inch or more.

They were a small critter that you didn't want to mess with. However, on a number of occasions they were taken with a well gloved hand to relocate to another area for combat with another Mantis Shrimp.

The early underwater California rendition of the Mexican bull fight.

Now you know how it is done. Max you can make a movie and Dr. Bill can write a story about the Mantis Shrimp.

SDM

I've seen but a few mantis shrimps at Catalina's various sandy spots.

These mantis shrimps are abundant at some places. In Vietnam we used to eat them and they were pretty darn tasty.

The ones in Honolulu's Ala Wai Canal reach record sizes, up to 15" long... but you won't catch me diving in that muck to check them out.

I've tried luring them out of their dens with bits of mackerel, but they are too fast to get a good photo.
Picture018-4.jpg

When you find them already out in the open they will usually allow you to get close enough for a shot.
Mantisshrimp10.jpg

Mantisshrimp13.jpg

When you find them already out in the open they will usually allow you to get close enough for a shot.

How close were you? Do you think that it could shatter your dome?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom