True Cost of AI/DM/OWSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've talked to a few people who've become DMs or instructors and have been surprised at the costs involved. It seems that I can only get a straight answer about the course fees. I have a few questions about the costs of being a working DM/Instructor:

What are the yearly dues for the various agencies? My web search found $90/$145 for NAUI DM/Instructor and $100/$190 for PADI. Are SDI/SEI/etc similar? Do you have to pay for both DM and Instructor if you're rated as an instructor but also wish to work as a DM?

It looks like insurance is in the range of $300/$500 for DM/Instructor. Will boats/shops cover you under their insurance or is this your responsibility? I assume this varies a bit with location.

What costs are involved with teaching classes not through an LDS? Rental of a classroom, pool, etc? I assume that the costs in renting gear would be prohibitive, so you'd need to purchase and maintain a few sets of gear and tanks as well? Is there additional insurance involved in this?

I'm basically curious if it's possible to break even on teaching or DMing as a hobby. It seems that there are people on SB that do casual weekend teaching, but it seems that if you're only certifying a few divers, or DMing occasionally, you'd actually be losing money.

Don't get into diving to SAVE money.
Don't go pro to MAKE money.

The fact that as an instructor you can work as a DM has no bearing on your agency dues.
Some shops cover you under their insurance policy if you're staff while others will require that you have your own. It varies.

DM for me as a hobby, is just that... hobby 1 |ˈhäbē|
noun ( pl. -bies)
1 an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

Can you break even? It depends on how much you value your leisure time I guess :D

So people really do pay hundreds a year out of pocket to subsidize other divers learning to dive?

So people really do pay hundreds a year out of pocket to subsidize other divers learning to dive?

I think a better way of putting it is that people really do pay hundreds a year out of pocket for the privilege of helping countless others learn to love one of the things they're most passionate about. People really do pay for the satisfaction of seeing the "lights click on" in a new diver's face. I do, and it's generally worth it to me.

Nobody I know actually comes out significantly ahead on instructing or DM'ing by way of pay alone. I'd go so far as to say that relatively few people around here break even, and those that do are usually instructors rather than DMs. HOWEVER... If you're the type that buys gear regularly, staff or key man pricing can lead to significant savings over time. Obviously that only helps if you would've bought the gear either way, but still...

I get free fills, gear discounts, etc as well. But it's a wash at best dollar-wise.

As stated above, I do it in order to be allowed the privilege of being part of someones initial scuba experience. Especially DSD's with kids. Few things more fun than that!

What costs are involved with teaching classes not through an LDS? Rental of a classroom, pool, etc? I assume that the costs in renting gear would be prohibitive, so you'd need to purchase and maintain a few sets of gear and tanks as well? Is there additional insurance involved in this?

Although I don't know this for a certainty, I would imagine a lot of dive shop owners are struggling with overhead costs, like: leasing of classroom space, utilities, inventory, rental gear costs, additional business and employee taxes, unemployment taxes, and insurance for the office.

As an "independent" instructor your big advantage would be freedom from those costs and the ability to make your own decisions.

Regarding the use of a local pool, many of them are struggling financially and more than happy to rent a portion of the pool for confined water instruction at a very reasonable cost. Offer to teach a couple snorkeling classes to the public for free and you might be able to get access for next-to-nothing.

Last edited:

Well when you put it that way.......... :idk:

Actually, YES. I pay $300-$310 a year for insurance and $95 a year in PADI dues. I get $20 for each scuba review I do (which isn't many) and tips when I'm DMing for OW/AOW classes. I do not make enough to cover my expenses, especially when you factor in the intangibles like fuel and site entry.

Insurance is closer to $600 annual and annual fees are around $190 for PADI...no you do not have to pay additional dues as an instructor to maintain your DM cert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom