Truck takes a plunge in San Marcos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvilleStang

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did any of you SMART Divers get into this fiasco?

Truck crashes in San Marcos River
Thursday, April 10, 2008, 08:17 AM

From the City of San Marcos:

State and city officials in San Marcos are trying to extricate an 18-wheeler from the San Marcos River after the vehicle crashed through the guardrails on northbound I-35 and fell into the environmentally sensitive stream.

The east access road between Highway 123 and Highway 80 is closed and lanes on I-35 are will also likely have to be shut down.

At 2:23 a.m. Thursday, April 10, Sgt. Wade Parham of the San Marcos Police Department observed extensive damage to the guardrail on I-35 north at the river. Officers located a 1995 maroon Kenworth tractor trailer rig belonging to Ybarra trucking of Laredo wedged underneath the bridge of the east access road of I-35. The truck destroyed 160 feet of guardrail on northbound I-35 before plunging into the river.

The cab of the truck is submerged up to its roof in the river, but the driver was able to escape without serious injury. The driver, identified as Kevin Joseph Tuttle (DOB 1/15/1967) of Lake Wales, Fla. was transported to Central Texas Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

The San Marcos Police Department, San Marcos Fire Department, Hays County/San Marcos EMS, Texas Department of Transportation and the City of San Marcos Environmental Health Department responded to the scene to assist with the accident. The city has notified the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

Due to the precarious positioning of the wrecked tractor trailer, divers will be needed to assist with the removal of the tractor trailer from the river. Because of the environmentally sensitive area, San Marcos Fire Rescue placed HAZMAT booms in the water just downriver of the accident scene and also further down river at Cape Road.

Officials do not know how long it will take to safely remove the vehicle from the river. Early this morning wreckers were awaiting daylight to assess the scene.

The trailer was carrying general merchandise, police said.

The San Marcos River is spring-fed from the Edwards Aquifer and supports eight endangered aquatic species. The location of the wreck is about a mile from the headwaters of the river.

The current is fairly strong under the I-35 bridge, but lightens up a bit as the river deepens again as it goes under the east side access road bridge. Hopefully, the oil & fuel contaminants will stay on the surface and be quickly carried away. If you can handle the currents and make it back up to the exit point (or go for a long float thru the old canal) it (I-35 to old dam at camp grounds) is one of the prettier dives on the San Marcos.

Wow this sucks :shakehead:

Well, I hope they get it out quick and clean as possible...

Hmm, San Marcos river cleanup is Sat. also...

I did get a call EEEAAARRRLLYYY this morning just after the accident to see if we could scramble a diver to make a dive to hook the rig so wreckers could pull it out. After a little further assessment they decided to wait till daylight to proceed further. I haven't heard anything further so I guess they pulled it out without assistance from SMART. As far as the river clean-up this weekend we will be upstream of IH-35 from the Lion's Club to Rio Vista so the Clean -Up will not be affected.

Yeah, they had some fantastic pictures on the statesman website this morning of the truck sunk to nearly the top of his cab with the trailer stuck on land behind it.

Too bad there wasn't an OWC finishing up in SM this morning. The instructor could have bundled them up for their first wreck dive and charged them for a specialty class! JUST kidding and they did get the rig out of the water, it didn't look like much spilled into the river.

If I'm not mistaken, he was a Laredo, TX, based driver with Ybarra, and he was from Florida, so I'm assuming he's not an Ethnic Mexican with the whole new "Open Borders" policy.

Back
Top Bottom