Truck/SUV rental - automatics and insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiggins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know there have been numerous threads on car and truck rental on Bonaire in the past. I just wanted to share some observations and hope someone here has further recommendations. I have several credit cards and trip coverage that offers rental car insurance waivers but all exclude trucks. I've been shopping around for an SUV that doesn't specifically prohibit dive gear in the car so that I can use the insurance I already have. I do need an automatic transmission vehicle which limits some options. Avis and Budget both state there will be a minimum $350 charge if they find evidence of diving in the SUV. Hertz wont give a yes/no answer and just reply that I need a truck. I found 2 independent rental companies that offer dive equipped/allowed SUV's in order models, but both these companies require their insurance coverage. Having to pay for the insurance defeats the purpose of renting the SUV.

Does anyone here have first hand experience renting an SUV for diving or know how strict Hertz (or the others) might be about sand and salt? A tarp and some plastic bins might reduce the evidence, but after 2 weeks of diving I think its impossible to expect something not to get a little wet.

2 weeks of the $10/day CDW on the car is a week's diving on an unlimited air package, so I hate to resign to paying for the insurance. I'm considering opening a new Amex card so that I can get the premium rental coverage others have mentioned here and then renting a truck. Does that seem like a better option to anyone besides myself? Any recommendations for a reliable rental company with automatics that accepts Amex? (Poppy currently only has trucks with manual transmissions)

When my wife and I went last year we rented an AirBnB, and the manager rented us a Toyota 4Runner. He was ok with us using it to dive, and it was an auto. Maybe you can reach out to him, PM me if you want his contact info.

The rental was older (10-15 years old I’d guess), and there were issues, we got a flat tire (not his fault), there were a few scratchers that he questioned us about (we should have taken pictures of EVERYTHING before we took it). Also, the tailgate malfunctioned, and we had to open it from the inside via an access panel. In the end, I don’t think he was happy with us, and we weren’t too happy with him, but that said, if the referral helps another diver, then I’ll give you his info…

Thant being said, take pictures of EVERYTHING when you take possession of the car, and make him aware of all the issues… this wasn’t our ‘normal’ rent-a-car situation by any means…

If there's not something that physically prevents you just learn to drive a stick enough to get it out of the parking lot. It's not hard. By the end of the trip you'll be pretty good at it.

When my wife and I went last year we rented an AirBnB, and the manager rented us a Toyota 4Runner. He was ok with us using it to dive, and it was an auto. Maybe you can reach out to him, PM me if you want his contact info.

The rental was older (10-15 years old I’d guess), and there were issues, we got a flat tire (not his fault), there were a few scratchers that he questioned us about (we should have taken pictures of EVERYTHING before we took it). Also, the tailgate malfunctioned, and we had to open it from the inside via an access panel. In the end, I don’t think he was happy with us, and we weren’t too happy with him, but that said, if the referral helps another diver, then I’ll give you his info…

Thant being said, take pictures of EVERYTHING when you take possession of the car, and make him aware of all the issues… this wasn’t our ‘normal’ rent-a-car situation by any means…

Thanks. Good advise to take pictures/video anywhere, especially internationally. I usually do this and insist on a written damage report. I appreciate the offer for the contact, but this one sounds like a pass....

If there's not something that physically prevents you just learn to drive a stick enough to get it out of the parking lot. It's not hard. By the end of the trip you'll be pretty good at it.
No, just never have learned before and never had the need to. I have a motorcycle so I get the concept but am a little hesitant to try to learn on a rental car/truck in a foreign country. (Or perhaps its is the best to do so since I wont see the truck again.)

Go for it. If you can ride a bike you will be a whiz by the end of the trip.

Trust me, those trucks get a beating!!

check on an SUV from AB Car rental - zero deductible.

IDK their dive gear policy either but you can understand why they don't want wet gear on the upholstery. I'm pretty sure other divers stored theirs on the back seats of our truck given all the water stains.

They recently started renting tanks and dive gear so may be more accommodating than the chains at the airport.

They may also have trucks with automatics.

AB Car Rental Bonaire: the only carrental with ZERO deductible

Off airport but they will send someone to pick you up and drop you/luggage back at the airport.

fyi, if you are going to learn a stick on a rental, street signs are metric. I personally wouldn't because there's a lot of soft spots at many of the south sites (no defined parking) and it's a long walk back to town.

you can't hide your phone somewhere the kids don't know about - sometimes they're watching from the bushes. So unless you get a waterproof case for it....

BTW, be sure to ask when you rent if you can take the vehicle into Washington Slaagbi National Park. It's a very beautiful drive and has some good dive spots, but it's VERY rough and it's an all day outing. Take water and food with you. Most of the big-name rental places will not let you take their vehicles there.

Back
Top Bottom