Troubleshooting a Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UCFDiver131

Registered
Reaction score
I have just purchased a Dacor Viper America. Today i jumped in my pool to make sure everything was working and I had a problem with the regulator leaking. It would leak out of either the exhaust port or the mouthpiece depending on which was higher. This leak was not like a free flowing regulator where air rushes out, but it was not negligible either and it was constant. Nothing would stop it from leaking (except when i took a breath but thats just because i was sucking up the air instead). The reg is under warranty, but rather than deal with all the B.S. involved in getting the manufacturer to pay, id like to see if theres an easier way to fix it because id like to dive next weekend. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be the cause of this problem and how to go about fixing it. Im certainly no certified regulator tech. but im very handy and could easily perform simple regulator surgery. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Also, i only dove in my pool with a 6ft deep end. Does anyone think that when i take it to a 65ft reef or 80ft wreck, that the pressure change will have an effect on the situation?

A freeflow doesn't necessarily mean a wide open freeflow. Any type of leak of gas is considered a freeflow [because gas is flowing out of the tank through the reg]. Just an FYI.

There's a number of different things that could be causing it, but I would say most likely is that either the second stage is too sensitive, and the pressure is holding the valve open a little bit; or the intermediate pressure in the first stage is too high and it's pushing through the second stage.

I had a reg that would start to bubble when I got below 100' in cold water. It turned out that the IP was upwards of 150. In order to keep it from actually leaking, the second stage had to be de-tuned to the point that it felt like I was breathing through a straw. I didn't believe it could be the IP, since it was only my backup w/ a problem, and not my primary; but sure enough, dropping the IP to 120 and re-tuning the cracking pressure on the second stages solved everything.

But all in all, your best bet would be to take it to the shop and have them check the IP and cracking pressure. It's fairly popular for a new second stage to start freeflowing after the reg breaks in a little.

Edit:

Check out this thread also: http://www.scubaboard.com/t74196-.html

Could be 2 things ...
something in your 2nd stage is messed up (more likely) or your 1st stage could be over pressurizing by a tad.
Hook a pressure gauge up to the BC hose (trip to the hardware store + hope your shop has an adaptor).
Opening up the thing will probably void your warranty, so its up to you if you want to go that route.
I take it you bought the thing online?

Likely just needs to be tuned down. Take it in...I've had more than one "handy" individual bring their regulator to me in little tiny pieces... :)

Could be some junk between the reg cover and the diaphragm, holding it the purge open a little. If the reg has a screw-off cover, screw it off and see if there's anything inside. Just be sure to note the order that the 3 pieces go back in and it will go right back together. If there's nothing, take it in and in a few minutes they can adjust it.

UCFDiver131:
I have just purchased a Dacor Viper America. Today i jumped in my pool to make sure everything was working and I had a problem with the regulator leaking. It would leak out of either the exhaust port or the mouthpiece depending on which was higher. This leak was not like a free flowing regulator where air rushes out, but it was not negligible either and it was constant. Nothing would stop it from leaking (except when i took a breath but thats just because i was sucking up the air instead). The reg is under warranty, but rather than deal with all the B.S. involved in getting the manufacturer to pay, id like to see if theres an easier way to fix it because id like to dive next weekend. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be the cause of this problem and how to go about fixing it. Im certainly no certified regulator tech. but im very handy and could easily perform simple regulator surgery. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Also, i only dove in my pool with a 6ft deep end. Does anyone think that when i take it to a 65ft reef or 80ft wreck, that the pressure change will have an effect on the situation?

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but if you have to ask these questions, you probably shouldn't be tinkering with your reg. A qualified reg tech could probably straighten it out in five minutes, and even if he charges you, you will still be ahead of the game.

I agree with keyshunter. A qualified tech will solve this in 2 minutes with an IP gauge and a flathead screwdriver. It is just a matter of tuning it down. If you bought it at the LDS, they should fix it for free and it even comes with peace of mind that cannot be offered when you do the repair yourself.

Could very likely be that the regs is just a tiny tad out of tune. The soft parts in a reg, esp the LP seat, take a set with time, so a reg tuned perfectly at the factory may leak slightly by the time it is sold. Easy enough to fix, but not something you should be doing yourself unless you know enough about regs to eliminate some of the more serious problems that also could be causing it.

This is, BTW, why reputable dive shops always will do a touch-up on the tune when they deliver a new reg to a customer!

Could very likely be that the reg is just a tiny tad out of tune. The soft parts in a reg, esp the LP seat, take a set with time, so a reg tuned perfectly at the factory may leak slightly by the time it is sold. Easy enough to fix, but not something you should be doing yourself unless you know enough about regs to be sure the cause isn't something more serious.

This is, BTW, why reputable dive shops always will do a touchup tuning when they deliver a new reg to a customer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom