Trouble with stage bottle SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Padipro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Question for anyone. I have my stage bottle set up with the 6 inch hose and SPG but I'm having trouble with the SPG leaking at the swivel connection. The nipple that is in the threaded portion of the SPG that forms the seal at the connection keeps breaking. This has happened twice now. I replaced the nipple just last night with a new one, checkedout everything and found no leaks but then when I got to the boat and turned on the gas just prior to entering the water the hose is blowing gas from the connection and I had to leave the bottle behind. Thank God it wasn't required on todays dive. Has anyone ever heard of this happening and what can I do to prevent it from happening again? The 6 inch hose is bent over and the SPG is secured to the first stage like it's supposed to be but something is causing these things to break.

Thanks,

Scott

What type of air spool have you been using? is it the type (1) where the o-rings set out on the end on a small t, the type (2)that has a round end on both sides and the o-rings are well protected, or the squared end type (3)?
You may have to change styles. The first type is very flimsy and tends to break with high pressure and low torque. it is commonly used with stong consoles that protect the hose and guage from lateral movements.
The second type in my experiences have work very well and stand up to a lot of movement.
The third type is a little stronger than the first but tends to break under moderate lateral movement.
You might take a look at the seat in the hose. If it is shallow odds are it has a round cup that may be grabbing the air spool as it rocks back and forth. Might be just bottoming out between the Guage and hose. Let me know what type and who makes the guage I might be able to tell you what is happening:rolleyes:
Hope to help.
Hallmac

Most liekly the spud as Hallmac says, or just a crappy hose. I have a bunch of these and haven't ever seen this.

Is it possable for someone to post a pic of the diffrent spool types for comparison?

The original "Spool" looked like it had a square end and was the one that came with the guage when it was in the original boot. The new one I replaced it with yesterday was a rounded end type and looked like it was a heavyer duty type. The gauge has the name "IDI" International Divers, Inc. on it but I saw a guy on the boat yesterday that had an identical one from Dive Rite. It's a heavy Duty brass and glass type guage.

Sorry, but no digital camera to snap pictures with.

Thanks and any suggestions on a replacement type spool would be appreciated.

Scott

Padipro I'd look at the cup in the hose Sounds like there is a pitting problem. If it broke a round nose spool I would tend to bet the hose has started to corrode and is grabbing the spool and putting it into a bind. You might also find that when it is disconnected from the guage the swivel rattles, indicating wear or corrosion. It should turn smoothly without a lot of rocking motion. Best bet buy another hose.

Salty I'll post a picture of the different types late tonight.

Hallmac

Hallmac,

It's a brand new hose. Only been in the water once on a dive several months ago when I noticed the first spool broken. I didn't even get the chance to get it in the water yesterday.

Scott

Sorry PadiPro! I missed that the hose was new.

IF the trouble started with the hose replacement it tends to strenghten my belief the trouble is in the hose. Two things come to mind.
1. the cup is positioned wrong in the hose and is placing the spool in a bind. (not enough length between the guage and the cup to handle the lenght of the spool.)
2. the swivel is defective and allowing too much movement and breaking the spool.

Other than that I'm stumped. If you have access to the different types of spools you might try all three. There is a functional difference in spool lengths because of their design and the amount of shifting they will do in the cup. I think I would try to exchange the hose.

Sorry I couldn't peg this one. Here is the picture of the three types of air spools. If you find the solution let me know I hate being stumped.

Hallmac

Trying to post the picture never done this before. Is too big so I have to edit it. Be back soon:bonk:

I'll keep an eye out for your pictures. I was having trouble posting a pic as well just the other day. Try going to this site and up loading a picture and then copy and past the URL address to the window on the board when it asks you for the address of the image you are trying to add to the post message. It worked for me.

Picture Upload

I'll try another spool and see what happens when I see the pictures of the different types. That was I'll know which one to try next.

Thanks,

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom