Trouble with Shaky Footage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a setup like a gopro that is so light and has no in-camera image stabilization you are always going to get some unsteadiness. Bigger heavier cameras are much more stable. Most decent editing software has stabilization capability that will do a pretty good job of removing it (you will lose a bit of resolution as the frames get cropped). On Powerdirector it is just a simple automated setting with previewable control. All the comments about buoyancy, trim and working on keeping the camera as steady as you can still apply, but sometimes if you are getting bumped around or it ends up too unsteady you just have to be judicious when editing. Keep the clips short and just edit the best bits together.

I found that adding some weight to my tray helped. I also slightly slow down a segment that I want if it is too shaky. My videos are still amateurish, but their main purpose is for my own memories.

I wish I could post the video I took from a recent class I filmed here in Puget Sound. The video is VERY stable. I was holding the camera, without tray or lights, in my hand.

Rather than seek an equipment solution, find a technique one. It will generalize better.

Having looked at the two clips I would say that you are still diving as if didn't have a camera

Your movements and pans are too quick and when you fin the rig moves

I have taken shots with gopro with just a plastic tripod wrapped around my wrist and they don't require any stabilisation

Generally at wide angle even the lack of stabilisation of the camera is not a problem and you should never need stabilisation in post

Am not sure if you shot anything on land but give it a go as I bet your pans are too quickly regardless of being in water

The set up with two sola is already around 1lbs negative which is ideal I don't see any needs to add floats
You could benefit from heavier duty handles with rubber grip such as ultralight

Back
Top Bottom