Made the Jump from GoPro to TG-5: Welcoming Any Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As the title states, I recently acquired a TG-5 that was bundled with an Ikelite housing for a good deal (at the time, the Olympus dive housing was unavailable everywhere). Previously, I have been shooting primarily video with GoPro since 2011 (Hero2 and Hero3+BE) with a Locline arm tray, illuminated by a SOLA 2000 video light (and sometimes a 1200 dive light). Additionally, I also have been shooting with a DSLR on land since 2013. As I progressed with my photography skill set on land, I quickly saw the limitations of the GoPro, since it really is a black box (literally with the Hero3+BE!), especially when it comes to macro subjects.

This led me to the TG-5. I have an appropriate Locline arm tray coming in the mail to re-use my SOLA video lights, and I have been watching Backscatter’s guide to shooting microscope mode with a video light (I will use the SOLA 2000). I have a dive trip to Turks & Caicos coming up in August, which will be my first time using this setup, so I welcome any tips and recommendations. My plan is to use the “cheat sheet” settings from Backscatter and just see what happens. I want to enjoy the dives instead of getting flummoxed with adjusting camera settings constantly.

My apartment complex has a small salt water pool on-site. I would think it would be a good idea to practice handling the camera and doing some macro test shots on some sinkable items that I can use as subjects.

Some beginner questions:
  • Should I leave a desiccant packet in the housing for moisture? With the GoPro, I found that if I install the camera in the housing in an air conditioned room and leave the camera off until I am ready to enter the water, I had zero fogging issues. I planned to do the same with this camera.
  • Do you typically leave the camera on throughout the dive and let it “go to sleep” when not in use? I am wondering what works best to maximize battery life.
  • I would like to get into a routine for maintenance/inspection on the housing after each dive day. What do you guys typically do for maintenance?

Last edited:
Well it turns out RTFM comes into play sometimes, and that answered pretty much all my questions...

Took the camera out on a hike in the nearby trail system to try my hand at macro work. I used the microscope mode settings for video light recommended by Backscatter and did some tweaking in Lightroom. Yeah I found out that microscope mode requires you to be under 1 foot away from your subject to really shine, and the closer the better!

By the way, off the bat, I really don't like how Olympus' RAW file format is not compatible without converting files to DNG. I will probably shoot RAW+JPEG just so I have something I can "share" quickly, and do my Lightroom editing at a later time.

v3e6muAl.jpg

NuFSYCQl.jpg

RCTqmMsl.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Did you zoom in while using the microscope mode? Have I understood it correctly that it will focus at a distance of 1 cm. EVEN when zoomed in fully?
I don't own the TG-5 but I'm contemplating upgrading from Canon S95.
Thanks

Thanks for sharing. Did you zoom in while using the microscope mode? Have I understood it correctly that it will focus at a distance of 1 cm. EVEN when zoomed in fully?
Thanks

That is correct. I have it zoomed all the way in (4x) in microscope mode. I have not been able to get that close (1 cm away) without spooking something :D

The photos above are taken at ISO400 which allows for a fast enough shutter speed in natural lighting, but keeps the noise manageable. We will have to see how that translates underwater...

I just made the leap from the gopro to the TG-5 too!! However my knowledge on photograpy is little to none so I've been reading a lot about the topic and hope to absorb as much info as I can for my next dive trip next weekend. Very exciting stuff.

Thanks
I upgraded from an S110 to a TG5 and absolutely love the TG5, for wide angle and macro it’s wonderful. Also the Olympus housing is way tougher and more robust that the Canon housing.

I have just moved from an Intova HD2 Marine Grade to the TG-5. I have also purchased the Seafrogs housing. I look forward to trying the gear out on a trip at the end of the month.

I have the tg-5 and the pt-058 housing I have used it in the warm waters of Mexico at 80+ degrees and I use it all the time here in Alaska in temps down to 39 degrees , so I have had it in a wide range of temperatures. I have never once had any fog inside the housing and I don't use the packet, although I did once have a hair on the oring and partially flooded it. Minus that I take it out and charge it up at night and leave the housing open to fully dry out before placing it back into the housing before the dive. As far as turning it on and off I usually shut it down after I take the pictures, it starts back up pretty fast almost as fast as if you let it go to sleep on its own. I easily get 3 dives on a battery and could get more even in the cold. I use a sola gobe 850 wide for pictures and video and as long as I am up close it gives good results on the auto setting. I'm not a photographer just a point and shoot guy. It takes beautiful video too. One problem I found is that I download all my photos and videos to my Samsung phone and it transfers over just fine however you will have to download an app that will allow you to view .mov files. The videos you take will transfer but your phone cant read those files and they wont show up even though they are on your phone. If you download an app that reads .mov files then you can view them. The more I learn how to use the camera the more I like it.

Anyone have comment on the Oly housing and how effective the integrated flash is? Will be diving in tropical waters 15-25m plus some snorkeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom