Trouble with Shaky Footage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a lot of experimentation with different mounts for the gopro, I now dive with a tray system with two grips and a SOLA 1200 light (http://www.lightandmotion.com/underwater/tabimage/actioncam.jpg). Even if I visualize the shot beforehand and do everything in my power to hold the camera tray dead still, my footage still comes out a little shaky. I shoot with a GoPro Hero2 at 720p60. I primarily use LightRoom to do color editing and enhancements before compiling individual shots in Windows Movie Maker (2012). After I upload into youtube, sometimes I opt to have youtube do image stabilization, but sometimes the resulting distortion is too great. Any tips on stabilization or recommendations for software to help with this?

I used a cave helmet with the gopro mounted to it. It takes some trial and error to get the POV where you ant it, but I find no shaky ness in my videos. Check out crist51258 on YouTube for examples of this systems stability

Can you post an example? It may be that you are not stable in the water -- no matter how hard one tries to hold a camera still, if one's body is moving, the camera is going to move.

I doubt you'll ever get handheld footage perfectly stable underwater. Just like you can't get handheld footage perfect. I was thinking about trying a steadycam mount like you would use on land, although I suspect it might not work quite right in the water.

If you REALLY want to go the extra mile, you could probably stabilize with adobe premiere manually. You'd have to go frame by frame, or perhaps set keyframes, and adjust your view port along the way. I've never shot any subject underwater that was worth all the trouble.

Instead, I chop up the video into short clips when things look nice for a few moments. I still haven't produced anything I think is worth a flip. The upside to this, is unless your video is really amazing you aren't going to hold most folks' attention for more than a minute or two.

I've become a little frustrated with my gopro videos lately and it sounds like you are too. In my case, I think I'm pretty decent with a still camera on land. Moving to video, doing it while diving, and dealing with an environment where everything is moving... I left my gopro in the car for my last dive :(

Hi, this is the difference between stills and video. To keep camera steady over time. Your tray is small and also your camera. Have you checked the balance under water ?- it should be close to neutral.
You can add lead-weights under the tray, BUT also you will have to add bouancy elements ( like Stix -floats).
And also practice makes better shots.

Last edited:
Two examples of my most recent dives

[video=youtube;gdkN9exUv5Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdkN9exUv5Y[/video]

[video=youtube;F43WHzcc8UQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F43WHzcc8UQ[/video]

I think what is happening is something we have to learn to extinguish when riding horses. You have not completely divorced the motion of your hands and arms from the motions of your body. When you kick, it moves your body not only forward but a little from side to side, and your arms aren't completely relaxed, so the camera is experiencing the same motion. You can attack this from two sides -- work on minimizing the body motion with kicking, and also work on allowing your shoulders, elbows and wrists to be like gimbals, so the camera remains motionless. It takes practice.

As most of your shake is side to side roll, I would suggest a wider camera tray. This will make you more cognizant of your movements. And stop steering with it. Use one hand with a firm stiff-arm grip and use the other with light pressure to aim and stabilize.

You will probably get a dozen different suggestions because everybody has their own specific method that works best for them. Don't discount any of them as you may need to try them all to find what works best for you.

Interesting suggestions everyone. I will have to try them out next time!

As for headmount, DONT even think about it if you want steady shots!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom