Trouble with my hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maui girl

New
Reaction score
Diving in the quarry this past weekend, the water was so cold that I had to wear my hood. I actually had trouble keeping it on my head, as air kept building up under it & pulling it (and my mask) off. It's the same hood I used last year, & I never had a problem with it before. Any ideas how to rectify the problem? I thought about poking additional air holes in the top-- would this work?

Yep, and you can become a certified bubble head !!!
Yes, a venting hole will work.
Have you changed your hair style?

When making an extra hole in the hood, make sure to use a soldering iron, hot screwdriver, etc. to melt the edges of the hole.

The second stage regulator may make a difference also. I have one that likes to exhaust into my hood unless I hold my head a little differently while using it.
I also made the inner holes in my hood larger, but I would not make the holes straight through or you will get cold water in.

Also, if the hood is trying to come off, I would suggest its too big for you. Try one with a zipper as they fit better (at least for me).

MD

Instead of making a hole in your hood, make a + with an exacto knife. This will allow the air to vent out, but the + will close back down when all of the air is out.

Good luck to you
SWT

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I'll post back & let you know how it works out-- happy diving, everyone!!

I used a soldering iron and poked 3 holes in the hood. Vents air perfectly, and doesn't affect insulation at all. I'm actually considering trimming the face hole on the hood though, so the mask doesn't sit under the hood. Air is entering the hood by way of equalizing my mask and draining the bit of water that leaks in because of my beard.

I just stuck a dive knife through mine. It's worked great for about 4 years now. If you don't want to poke a hole then just push down on the top of your head every now and then. It will vent around your face, it feels kind a cool :)

Taffy, Scott,
Great !!! suggestions . . . !!!

Pay attention to where the hood sits on your head. I find that if I push mine back a bit from my forehead I don't have to deal with the floaty head thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom