Trouble w/ inversion at Safety Stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the replies, y'all are a wealth of information! I have some homework to do it looks like and will try several of the suggestions to see if I can get this resolved.

Assuming you are doing no finning. It is basic physics to rotate around your center of mass. Either extending your arms forward, or bringing you legs in, will shift your weight forward and can cause the forward roll. Personally I stay horizontal at the safety stop with my arms partially in, since the hands are often resting on the hang bar loosely, and extending my legs out some.

2. In thinking of failure modes, starting vertical allows you to flare to horizontal if the ascent loses control. Starting horizontal removes that option.

But it gives you a more powerful one, being able to fin down while dumping gas.

Could it be the remaining air in your BCD is nearer your backside. I had a tendency to be head down when diving because I liked looking down between boulders on the bottom. As we moved towards shallower water at the end of a dive with the tank emptying I found using my shoulder dump did not work so well and had to use my lower back dump.
About safety stop depth and slightly shallower is also the point at which my wetsuit seems to undergo it most rapid change in buoyancy.

I starting vertical allows you to flare to horizontal if the ascent loses control. Starting horizontal removes that option.

Why should my ascent loose control? I descend horizontal. I go up horizontal. The only time I break from horizontal is when going up from the hang bar to the surface (going from safety stop to surface) and once in a while while exploring a wreck or reef.

Why should my ascent loose control? I descend horizontal. I go up horizontal. The only time I break from horizontal is when going up from the hang bar to the surface (going from safety stop to surface) and once in a while while exploring a wreck or reef.
It shouldn't. You won't, I won't, but I'm guessing we've both seen people lose control.

1. Why not ascend face up and horizontal? It may be disconcerting at first, but allows you to see where you're going.

I've done it, but it's a trick I haven't mastered.

Laying on your back tends to put water up my nose, ruins your night vision and just wouldn’t seem natural to me

It is different and defiantly weird. I can't do it consistently, when asked how to do it I have to say I have no idea, but sometimes it works. Theoretically it's the same as face down, but it isn't in practice.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom