Trouble Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NoPainNoGain

Reaction score
Hi All,

After a couple of years watching my brother SCUBA dive, my boyfriend and I decided that we'd really like to do it. So, this weekend, we did the pool and classroom time.

But, I freaked out...a lot. My equipment was screwy in the beginning (my BC kept inflating after I deflated it), so I think that threw me off a bit, but the main problem was that I constantly felt like a) I wasn't getting enough air and b) that the regulator was going to fall out of my mouth. I tried to bite harder, but then the instructor pointed out that I was getting all tense. Once I got tense, I couldn't find a way to calm myself down and kept hyperventilating. (My boyfriend was calm and reassuring, but that didn't do much...I was too tight by that point).

Does anyone have any advice on feeling more comfortable with the regulator and tips on staying relaxed?

I really want to learn to do this but I've managed to scare myself.

Please help!

Obviously first off I would ask them to give you gear that works so you don't have to deal with that at this point. You don’t need the added stress and worry about gear right now. Then try just going into the shallow end of the pool where you can easily just stand up. Kneel down and breathe off your regulator. Just sit there calmly and breathe in a slow and relaxed manner. Nothing to worry about, you can always stand up. Relax, breathe, and get used to it. Once you are more relaxed with that then you can move on. Many people are nervous when they first start trying to breathe underwater so do not think that you are alone.

True. Just spend time on the bottom of the 4' part.

-Matt

Not all regulator mouthpieces were created equally.

Go back to the LDS from which you obtained your first set of gear and ask to try other regulator setups. Mouthpieces vary greatly from one manufacturer to another, and they also vary in sizes to acommodate from very small to very large mouths.

You truly may have had a problem keeping the regulator in your mouth !!!

I think that once you're certain that you're not going to lose your source of air you will be able to relax to a much greater degree and concentrate on the other aspects of the basic instruction.

the K

i can still remember the crappy rental regs from my BOW classes. they do tend to feel like they're not giving you enough air. make sure that if the regulator has an adjustment on it, that you learn which position it breathes better in. i can remember i got one reg one day though that breathed really crappy no matter how it was set, and i spent the whole day trying to fight that feeling that i was suffocating. not fun.

unfortunately, i don't have any better advice in dealing with the issue, because i just went out and bought some expensive regs that breathed easy, which completely solved that problem for me...

I agree with what the others said regarding sitting in the shallow end until you are comfortable breathing from a regulator (that is functioning properly). On the mouthpeice, I had the same issue becasue I have small mouth and I would have incredibly jaw fatigue at the end of a dive. Try out some other types- I recommend the comfo bite becasue it has a small peice that curves into the roof of your mouth, making it easier to hold without clenching your teeth. Having good, functioning, and comfortable gear will make your experience much easier. Try to relax & have fun, let us know how it goes!

Hey,
I remember back when I had my first scuba "resort" course that I didn't "trust" my regulator. At first, a lot of people have problems thinking they're not getting enough air.

LIke the other divers said, I would go to the shallow end of the pool and just try breathing. The mouth piece on that reg might have not been right for you. Try some other gear...

Good luck!

Seacure mouthpiece, best thirty bucks I ever spent.

If you think diving is for you, you might try getting this piece, molding it, and seeing if the shop will let you switch it out, since it only costs you a zip tie?

I didn't have trouble with getting enough air, but when I got my Proton Ice, it comes with a dinky little mouthpiece really strained my jaw, since the reg is heavy. I have NO trouble with the Seacure... which reminds me, I have to get another one to attach to my new reg, sigh. (old one stolen).

It could be that the jaw fatigue is exacerbating your breathing problems.

NoPainNoGain:
Hi All,
So, this weekend, we did the pool and classroom time.

It sounds like you had an intensive weekend program. That is not uncommon and can work well to accelerate things for the quick learner. I would have been OK with it, not my wife.

She felt somewhat like you and it took her 2 evenings working with a lot of 1 on 1 to get comfortable. After that it all fell into place and she's looking forward to our first ocean dives this weekend.

Do as others have suggested, get back in the pool making sure you have comfortable gear start by relaxing in the shallow end and don't let anyone rush you into your checkout dives. Most programs will let you jump in the pool with the next group for extra prep. Have your BF come along so you end up being a tight buddy team.

Have fun,
Pete

NoPainNoGain, welcome to the wonderful world of diving. I just want to add that most people who are renting gear don't think to test the mouthpiece on the regulator to make sure they are comfortable before taking it under water or out of the shop. Because I got braces between my last two dive trips, I was very concerned about being comfortable with the mouthpiece. While I was still in the shop, I made sure to try out the mouthpiece before leaving with the regulator and I tried a few before I found one that didn't make me feel uncomfortable.

I would suggest that you try the mouthpiece out of the water first, then gently ease your way into the water. Also, remember that if your mouthpiece does fly out of your mouth, it's just within arm's reach. As part of your training, you will be required to take out your mouthpiece and recover it, so once you find a mouthpiece that you're comfortable with and you're more comfortable under water, you might want to try gently removing and replacing it, purging, buddy breathing, and also switching it for your secondary.

I hope you will give it a try again and work with your instructor or LDS to get a mouthpiece that you're comfortable with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom