Tropical Storm Karl (formerly I-92) forms in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Name or not, even with today's news of not growing as fast as originally feared - 4 out of 5 models show it hitting Quintana Roo. If I had plans to fly into Coz on Wednesday or Thursday, or worse to fly into Cancun then transfer - I'd want to know the possibilities.

Hope it fails by morning...

I wasn't suggesting posting it anywhere else. Just that I'd change the title here to include the name of the storm if/when it reaches naming status for easier reference.
Edit: Thanks for the title change. Now Tropical Storm Karl, with another chance at making Cat 1 in a few days but not much of a threat still...

at201013_5day.gif

Last edited:
Well, they said he'd make Cat 1 or 2. Looks like he still will, just later than thot...

Wow. Ignorance is bliss. We had an electrical storm knock out our power and internet last week Friday night. I never even knew this thing was passing Belize until the night it did. Down here the only noise it made was on the radio that came back on.

After first seeming to be a severe threat, that failed to develop much, Karl has been full of surprises: making T-Storm before landfall south of Cozumel, now Cat 1 looking maybe make Cat 2 before the next landfall, and maybe even surviving to make the Pacific as something? The computer chart in post 1 is no longer updating so here...

Edit: Ok, he's at Cat-2, winds @ 105 mph, just 6 below Cat-3, and may hit Veracruz at a 3. Just full of surprises...!

at201013_model.gif

Last edited:
Dang! He made Cat-3! :eek:
Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog:
Hurricane Karl: first major hurricane ever in the Bay of Campeche; Bermuda eyes Igor

Posted: 10:47 AM EDT on September 17, 2010

Hurricane Karl explosively deepened into a dangerous Category 3 hurricane this morning, becoming the fifth major hurricane of this remarkably active 2010 Atlantic hurricane season. Karl is the first major hurricane on record in the Gulf of Mexico's Bay of Campeche--the region bounded by the Yucatan Peninsula on the east. Given that the Bay of Campeche coast has never experienced a hurricane as strong as Karl, its impact is likely to cause unprecedented damage to a 50-mile wide coastal areas between Veracruz and Poza Rica. Of greatest concern are Karl's winds, which will cause severe damage to thousands of buildings along the storm's path, and the hurricane's torrential rains, since the region has high mountains near the coast that will experience extreme rainfall and flooding.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom