Tropical Storm John -effects on La Paz??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rirarianneke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know I've asked the question before; but then it was more a hypothetical situation.
Anyway, back then I valued the risks (as far as I could judge them) against the positives of a holiday in La Paz.....so, of course, I booked my holiday to La Paz leaving this Saterday!
However, now (even) the Dutch news is making report of a tropical storm (John) that is headed to Mexico.
In what sense should I worry now? The resort (obviously) said back then, that hurricanes in that area are nothing more then a strong wind and tourists where 'ordered' to stay in their room. But advisig some wheatherforecast-internetsites; I am getting a bot nervous....
Does anyone have first-hand experience with these kind of situations in La paz?

Maybe a stupid question, but bear in mind I live in NL.....we luckely dont have these things over here.....

We're supposed going to Cabo tomorrow and we are waffling, trying to decide what to do. We love Cabo and were there for a little hurricane a couple years ago and all it did was flood and be windy and mess up the diving..... but this time it looks like it is a much bigger hurricane. I don't know what to do, looks like diving might be out, but it could be worse than that..... Anyone in that area with some info??
Thanks, Choco

We leave for Cabo this Sunday. This is getting me a worried. Anyone have any thoughts to share?

Although La Paz is is a bit further away from Cabos; I contaced my resort in order to check for current conditions.
This was their reply: 'Until today everything seems calm here in La Paz, it´s really hot.
The weather forecasts indicate that the rainy days will be on Friday or Saturday.
No major alert has been advised here or to any of our clients.
I don´t know if it will makes you feel better, but no one has cancelled there reservation and we do have plenty of them for the next couple of days and next week. Last year we only had a couple of rainy days and that was it.

Our guests have never suffered any life-threatening situations since we suspend the diving if necessary. We shelter everyone in there rooms until the wind and rain is over.'

This message made me feel more at ease. I know they cannot give me any garantuees, but it did gave me more confidence.....Maybe it also helps you..

Hurricane John is now a major hurricane, with winds of up to 125mhp.

I do not know if this image updates or not...
EP112006lts.gif

Chocoholic:
We're supposed going to Cabo tomorrow and we are waffling, trying to decide what to do. We love Cabo and were there for a little hurricane a couple years ago and all it did was flood and be windy and mess up the diving..... but this time it looks like it is a much bigger hurricane. I don't know what to do, looks like diving might be out, but it could be worse than that..... Anyone in that area with some info??
Thanks, Choco

I just saw on MSN that they are trying to get tourists out of Cabo. We changed our tickets yesterday after thinking it over a lot and decided we wanted a vacation and not having to worry about whether we would end up camping out at LAX and trying to find something at the last minute or having to be evacuated from CAbo. So Cancun tonight!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom