Tropical Storm is heading your way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a major bummer! We're scheduled to fly into Manila from Hong Kong the morning of the 26th, before getting on a flight to Dumaguete later in the day... Sigh.

Diving in Malapascua is suspended. Not sure for how long. Might be fun trying to get off the island to catch the plane back to Manila though...lol

This is a major bummer! We're scheduled to fly into Manila from Hong Kong the morning of the 26th, before getting on a flight to Dumaguete later in the day... Sigh.
This is my experience:
1. I was scheduled to take the 5J 109(08:20) flight from HK to MNL.
2. A typhoon was approaching fast to Manila but not close enough to stop 5J 108 from leaving NAIA at 05:30.
3. The plane arrived at HK on scheduled but could not fly back because the Manila airport has already been closed. So my flight was delayed by several hrs.

My suggestion:
1. Go to the airport regardless and see what happen. The only problem is our supposed to be state of the art airport does not equip with sufficient chairs for waiting passengers!!!!! This is a big and pathetic joke.

If you are flying 5J then you have to remember that is is a point to point carrier ie. they don't give a toss if you miss the connection flight.

Good luck.

Greetings central from south Leyte and thanks for the good link. Weather here is not bad at the moment and hopeful this thing takes a strong turn due north into some cooler ocean.

Just to clarify a comment above - diving is not suspended in Malapascua at all. Some dive shops have parked their boats up but some have not and we are diving all week. Day trips are off today and probably the 25th but there is still lots going on including plenty of Thresher Sharks.

Greetings central from south Leyte and thanks for the good link. Weather here is not bad at the moment and hopeful this thing takes a strong turn due north into some cooler ocean.
If the weather forecast is accurate, you will be fine.
Hopefully this storm will only bring nothing but rain.

Cheers.

This is my experience:
1. I was scheduled to take the 5J 109(08:20) flight from HK to MNL.
2. A typhoon was approaching fast to Manila but not close enough to stop 5J 108 from leaving NAIA at 05:30.
3. The plane arrived at HK on scheduled but could not fly back because the Manila airport has already been closed. So my flight was delayed by several hrs.

My suggestion:
1. Go to the airport regardless and see what happen. The only problem is our supposed to be state of the art airport does not equip with sufficient chairs for waiting passengers!!!!! This is a big and pathetic joke.

If you are flying 5J then you have to remember that is is a point to point carrier ie. they don't give a toss if you miss the connection flight.

Good luck.
Thanks. We're flying Cathay Pacific from JFK to MNL, connecting in Hong Kong at 5:30am on 12/26. The flight to MNL is supposed to leave at 7:50am or so. From there, we were supposed to take a Cebu Pacific flight in the afternoon to Dumaguete.

We're fortunate that we'll have access to Cathay's business class lounges in Hong Kong (there are a bunch!), so that should make waiting around more tolerable.

Just emailed the Mike's Dauin Beach Resort, where we'll be staying, and the manager said the weather was "lovely". Looking forward to doing some diving! My gills are drying out :-D

We have been in the Philippines since December 9th and have had excellent weather and wonderful diving.

We are currently in Malapascua where the diving is most certainly not suspended , we have been diving every day and are going again this morning. However Monad Shoal and Longer trips were cancelled for the last two days. The shop we are using hope to have normal service tomorrow and onwards. We have had nice warm weather with occasional showers and plenty of sun. The beach and island and diving is as charming as ever.

There is also no problem getting on and off the island. Some people were transferred a day earlier boy otherwise it is business as usual.

I seem to recall more than one of these "diving is suspended in malapascua" hoaxes from months/years past.

Back
Top Bottom