Tropical Skin Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ohiodiver

Registered
Reaction score
We are looking at the latest issue of Scuba Diving magazine. In it, they recommend (5 stars) the following 1mm suits - Akona 1mm full suit, Henderson Microprene 1mm jumpsuit, and the Mares Revolution 1mm full suit. Here's the problem - on a couple of these companies web sites, these suits are not even listed - and they are appearantly not available through Leisure Pro. I know they want you to purchase these through your local shop, but many of the shops we have visited do not keep them on hand, but can order them. We don't really want to purchase them without trying them on.

Am I missing something here? I would think that if they are given a 5 star rating, that the company would make a big deal about that product on their own website. However, you appearantly can not order through the company's web site anyway, because I saw no prices listed there.

Any input/advise anyone can provide would be helpful. Also, any ideas where to possibly pick up a used 7mm suit on the internet, etc?

Originally posted by ohiodiver
they are appearantly not available through Leisure Pro. I know they want you to purchase these through your local shop, but many of the shops we have visited do not keep them on hand, but can order them. We don't really want to purchase them without trying them on.

Am I missing something here?
Am I missing something here? From your post, you appear to be willing to buy from Liesurepro, but you don't want to buy from the LDS unless you try 'em on...
I can't quite make all that come out right...
Rick

As I said, we have visited several shops. I checked LeisurePro after not finding the reviewed suits on the actual manufacturer's web site, which I checked after not finding them in the shops. Not that it matters (but suddenly I feel the need to explain myself here for some reason), but we have bought every piece of equipment (BCDs, masks, fins, computers, lights, etc., etc. X 2) from our local shop. Anyway, any info or advice relevant to my question would be appreciated.

Sorry to roll in on you - it sounded like you'd checked Liesurepro first, then went to the LDS...
The decision to stock an item is a multi-faceted one. In our part of the country the LDS's stock skins, thin suits and 3 mils, with a few five mils. Anything heavier than that is special order, 'cause there just aren't that many of us who dive in cold water. (This past weekend the lads in our rescue class stood on the beach after the class was over and mumbled something like "y'all are just two crazy old men" as my buddy & I headed out onto a site below the second thermocline) We have one of the most active shops around, but out of the hundreds of divers who shop there, I can count the drysuits on one hand. I think I'm the only owner of a seven mil, and that's 25 years old. It's for sale cheap if you want it - it's a good one - DUI, custom made for me when I was about 40 pounds lighter - probably has less than 10 dives on it - wore it flying, mostly - you'd need to be the right shape & size.
So, one reason your local shops may not stock 'em is demand.
The other reason, especially with new gear, is availability. Right now, for example, our local LDS doesn't have any Legend regs in stock. Got a ton of 'em on order, because they expect 'em to be a hot item... but right now if you want one all they can do is order one for you.
Don't know what the situation is on those suits where you are, but I'd bet either the shop doesn't foresee much demand for 'em or they can't get 'em.
Now, if you want to make a trip down to Alabama, we have plenty of half mil to two mil stuff you can try before you buy.
Rick :)

Sounds like you're looking at 1mm neoprene skins ("crushed neoprene"?).

Did the article have any comparisons between these and lycra skins lined with Polartec Fleece (or "Trilams")?

I have the Henderson Microprene in back zipper instead of the front zippered version tested in the magazine and love it! I believe the Henderson website shows all their models of suits, if not ask the dealer to show you the dealer catalog... it also has a sizing chart (pick dimensions closest to you) - I didn't fit into every suggested dimension on the chart for a certain size but the suit fits like a glove! I think the sizing chart is on the website too. No the website does not do internet sales. I'm sure your dealer can order in and if it didn't fit change sizes for you.
Dived with Microprene around PDC and Cozumel also cenotes... plenty warm for me. Nice fit tho stickers on the wrists are coming off... other stickers are fine, Hmmm stickers on ma 7mm Gold Core are also fine so must be the adhesives on the stickers... manufacturing fault!?!? Anyways the dealer suggested back zipper to front zipper for ease of donning/ditching and seal at neck. Yeah it is easier to get a wet back zip off as I struggle like a madman with my front zip Henderson lycra skin... brutal when your arms bound behind your back! As you could probably tell, I love my Henderson!

Thanks for the feedback, folks! Rick, what you say makes alot of sense, as there is not alot of warm water diving around here. That's most likely why they don't stock them.

Squidguy, I appreciate your endorsement of the Henderson - the local shop told me the same thing about back vs. front zip models. As we're new to the whole diving thing, any real life experience is invaluable. I'll check my shop and see if they can size us up for the Henderson.

Newhampster, the article doesn't directly compare the neoprene suits against the Polartec ones, but there is a sidebar article where the author claims he tried both during a dive trip, and found the neoprene to be warmer. He also said he was wearing neoprene and was warm, while other divers around him wearing fleece suits and shorties complained of the cold - but, he was wearing a 3mm beanie, and the other divers weren't. Doesn't sound real scientific, just one guy's opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom