Tropical Night Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm brand new to night diving and I'm looking to buy a good, small low budget torch for use in the tropics. I'm based in the UK and I'm in a hurry, so unfortunately I can't get my hands on the Penetrater 220/Dorcy Dive II that everyone is raving about although I did desperately try... I was thinking maybe about the UK SL3 eLED or the SL4 eLED. What's the difference? Is one better or newer than the other? Or if anyone has any other suggestions I would be very grateful. I need to order one urgently and I'm running out of time. I only need it for tropical night diving and I'm leaving in less than 3 weeks!!!! Please HELP!!!!

The UK SL3 is a 3-C cell light - the SL4 is a 4-C cell light.

Surprisingly the SL3 is slightly brighter: 125lumens vs. 116 for the SL4.

The Burn time on the SL3 is better: 32 hrs. vs. 9-10 hrs for the SL4.

A light with almost the equivalent output of the Dorcy is the UK C4 eLed. 205lm vs. 220 for the Dorcy. It also has a handle, dual power output (dual Led's) and will take rechargeable batteries.

My buddy has a C4 eLed, I have the Dorcy. I think mine is brighter...:D

Compare/contrast them here: Waterproof Lights and Flashlights Underwater Kinetics

Thanks DiverSteve!!!! Your info is exactly what I needed!!!!! So do you think I should go for the C4 instead of the SL3 or will it be too bright for clear water night diving and scare the critters away????

It's hard to say. My previous primary light was an SL4. In Utila a couple years ago - in not the clearest conditions, maybe 60' viz - I found myself straining to see things at the outer edge of the beam - I would have liked to be able to see farther. My buddy's C4 led the dives - his was a lot brighter and more penetrating.

Last year in Turks/Caicos with the Dorcy - really clear water - I didn't have that problem.

I can't say that I noticed an appreciable difference in fish behavior with either. The fish seemed to usually flee when lit up by either - in T/C there were three sharks hunting nearby so that may have spooked them also. Crabs, lobsters, conch etc. seemed unfazed - or couldn't get away...

We saw nature at work under the boat one dive. Baitfish attracted by the boat lights, bigger fish taking them and finally 2 sharks feeding on the bigger fish - once or twice. I don't several of us shining our lights at them during our safety stop made any difference.

The C4 does have a 1/2 power switch. The SL4 does not.

If you want a Dorcy, Optics Planet is selling the 180lumen model. And they ship internationally.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/dorcy-6-aaa-k2-super-flux-led-dive-light.html

You are such a star!!! Thank you SO much. There is a chance I can get the Dorcy in time. If I can should I go for that one then??? From what I've been reading on here it seems to be the top choice of the majority.

I find that brighter is not better. Octro's and many shy fish take cover from a bright light. I have a light with 3 beams, Red, which is the one I use most of the time. Then if I want to see more I click to the low white beam and for grungy conditions I can go the to the bright white. The bright lights are fun to attract and feed fish (shine on them till the preditor gulps them and keep watching for chain of life action) but for most observing I like a much lower amount of light. Note: virtually all my diving is done in warm clear water. If not I have made an error or need to clean my mask.

I like the sunlight c-8 with the red beam

I spent years holiday/tropical diving using a simple AA back-up torch. For simple night dives, in good viz, I found that they provided ample light.

Here's what I've used previously...

Aqua-star AA

0106_tests_07.jpg

Tektite do a good range of economical, but very functional torches also... Tektite

In particular, I've used the Tektite Trek4 with no problems.

TektiteTrek4.jpg

Just about any light will do for night dives in clear water. The UK
SL3 is a good light. If you think it's too bright on any of your dives at night, you can partially cover the lens with your fingers.
This will diffuse the light enough if you think it's scaring any fish.

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom