Tropic Vista Motel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adjuster-jd

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My local dive shop has set up a trip to Key Largo for February. We used to stay at Kellys on the Bay, but this year, we are staying at the Tropic Vista Motel (in Tavernier).
I have looked at their web site but it doesnt really give much information about the rooms, etc.
We will also be diving with their on-site dive operator for a couple days.

Can anyone give me some more info on the Tropic Vista? Room size/quality, etc.
What about their on-site dive op? We are told that they have Captain Jorge who used to drive Aqua-Nuts' boat and that the boat is actually formerly owned by Aqua-Nuts..

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

adjuster-jd:
My local dive shop has set up a trip to Key Largo for February. We used to stay at Kellys on the Bay, but this year, we are staying at the Tropic Vista Motel (in Tavernier).
I have looked at their web site but it doesnt really give much information about the rooms, etc.
We will also be diving with their on-site dive operator for a couple days.

Can anyone give me some more info on the Tropic Vista? Room size/quality, etc.
What about their on-site dive op? We are told that they have Captain Jorge who used to drive Aqua-Nuts' boat and that the boat is actually formerly owned by Aqua-Nuts..

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi,
We just got back from down in the Keys,and The Old TropicVista is how I got hooked into this diving thing,Well its been sold the old owner has for years trying to sell and as this said the property had slid into not the best shape,not bad but just tired.
I was glad to see that the new owners a property develpoment group that seems to be buying every property on the water in the Keys =Tear down and make condos has the restaurant open and good food at a good price,
Second the vistas dive boat is still on site! a 46'Newton that MOVES! + 1 other boat looked to be a Newton too! Both boats Nice! the Vistas boat moved to the wrecks and you and tons of deck room even in a large group.
The hotel ;as this trip I was diving with a nother opp and only stopped to eat and say Hi and check out the Tropic Vista the dive shop was not open in the motel, but looked as they had air banked back by the boat,the out side of the hotel looked about the same as it did last fall,neat and clean but a bit run down,and I did not see into any rooms so I cant tell you.
The Pluss side of the Tropic Vista even if the rooms are not like the Ritz is Its a dive resort,on the water a canal,dive boat off your room!The pool was allways warm unlike some in Florida in winter,and you could get food next door and drinks at the pool from the same place,no need to lug your kit cause the boat was off your room!
The rooms some had a fridge & stove,parking off room,and a BBQ at the end of dock,I would walk next door and buy fresh sea food at the market and grill it! bring your own BBQ tools.

So I am sure you will have a Great time,Please let us know how it was,I may stop by next week as I will be down for a a.m. wreck dive and dive with them if they run a wreck dive and post more!
The gal at the restaurant gave me this info on the dive shop,,aqua nuts is now Cristal clear charters web site is,
www.cristalclearcharters.com
I see web site dose not work? No#800-226-0415
On a side note make a trip down the road and a few blocks to Craigs man they have the best fish sandwich in the WORLD! cant miss them the sign is just down from your resort,then after a day of diving one day before I think 5-or 5;30 head south a few miles to Robbies and have a cold beer on the dock and feed the Tarpon! best $2.00 you can spend in the Keys! thease things are BIG! and eat out of your hand!
www.robbies.com
Have fun,dive safe,
Brad

I'm fairly certain that Cristal Clear is owned by Cay Clubs, the forementioned developer that has been gobbling up mom-and-pop motels and dive operators in the Upper Keys. Kelly's motel has been closed for a while now, but we still see the old Aqua-Nuts boats and crews out on the water, so the boats must have been relocated to the old Tropic Vista Motel. Other Key Largo dive ops under the Cay Club umbrella include Dive-In and Island Reef Divers.

I haven't heard anything negative about the rooms at the Tropic Vista, or the crews at Cristal Clear. I'm sure you'll have a blast, and look forward to reading about it here on ScubaBoard. Enjoy!

Thats It ! Cay Clubs
And yes they have the Vistas and one other boat on dock now in back on the Canal.

I did my check-out dives with a local LDS down there over Thanksgiving and I won't lie. The motel is a serious dump. But we had a great time diving and spent very little time in the room. So if you don't care what the room looks like... and just want to have fun diving then great. The captain and the divemasters were very nice and helpful and they do a roll call at the end of every dive. I was a student and these were my first dives, but I did not see anything that would make me nervous. We did have a medical emergency on board and the captain and divemaster handled it very well. The person involved was fine and it turned out to be a non-diving related illness and not DCS as suspected. It is really nice that the dive boat picks you up right pretty much outside your room. The pool was not in good shape when we were there, not clean, cloudy etc.... The rooms were clean, but very run down. There were some issues with CS the person checking us in got rude with a few of the guests, have fun!

IT's not a dump it why they coined the phrase "That place is a dive". The rooms are old, but I love that place.

Does Don still drive the boat? Without a doubt, he's my favorate captain. As mentioned above, the newton is one sweet dive boat.

ReefGuy:
IT's not a dump it why they coined the phrase "That place is a dive". The rooms are old, but I love that place.

, the newton is one sweet dive boat.

I love it!
"Its a Dive"
Yes us divers can be sometimes hard on a place,drying wet suits on the towel bars,dropping things like lead on the tile,wet towels on the bed,and so on!
Yes I will hate to see the place go,and I know I cant buy a unit!
Dive safe !
Brad

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom