Tropic Hood -- good solution for tangled hair/cold or uncool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mschaub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
One thing that really bothers me is my hair -- it gets painfully tangled in the straps of my mask. When doing my training, I ended up ripping out pieces during the mask clearing exercise. I saw that they make 3MM tropic "hoods" -- Looking at it online, it seems that it would really help solve that problem and also help me conserve heat since I tend to get cold very, very quickly.

Ok, here it is... how stupid will I look in Cozumel wearing this thing though? Do people wear hoods in tropical sites? Do any of the longer hair SB folk have any other ideas for covering up hair?

Thanks!

You might look a little silly, but what is sillier, a girl with a hood in warm water or a girl with bald spots chillin by the pool at the end of the day? In all seriousness, I've seen plenty of women wear a neoprene or lycra hood in warm water for various reasons. Generally for an extra layer of warmth. This would certainly take care of the hair issue. If you anticipate being cold it is probably the best, as we lose so much heat from our heads.

Another alternative is purchasing a mask strap cover. I forget what material they are made of, but they really work at keeping the dreadlocks from forming. Most dive stores sell them, they come in various colors and styles and are generally less than $10.

Wish I was going to warm water soon.

Zak

Get a neoprene mask strap. It's the solution to your problem.

Of course, if you get cold, wear a hood. Who cares what it looks like or what other people think?

Yeah, neoprene mask straps are a great invention. And don't worry about looking silly, the tropic (or beanie) hood is down-right stylish compared to a full one, at least IMHO.

Don't worry about what you look like, many people wear tropical hoods or beanies and in any event no one will care, really. A neoprene mask strap is great and may take care of your hair problems. Some kind of hood will do the same as well as provide warmth and in general keep your hair out of the way. I use both.

mschaub:
Hi,
Ok, here it is... how stupid will I look in Cozumel wearing this thing though? Do people wear hoods in tropical sites? Do any of the longer hair SB folk have any other ideas for covering up hair?

Thanks!

I guess that depends upon how well you dive? I don't think the fish are going to care if you have a beenie. I also don't think other divers are going to care about what you look like in a hood. If you are going to worry about something, worry about buoyancy, SAC rate, and keeping off the reef! :D

I agree with the neoprene mask straps if you are getting your hair entangled! However I find they tend to ride up the back of my head, and then my mask starts flooding before I realize it has happened, so I went back to the normal straps.

The mask straps help but my hair still gets tangled on the sides where the strap doesn't cover. Its much better but not a perfect solution. Plus before I cut my hair it got tangled around other things like my tank!! When the DM said he could cut it I kindly said I'd wait on my fiancee to get situated and he would gently remove it for me. Who knows how it happened but my hair tie had fallen out during the dive and 18inches of hair were flying around like medusa (see below).

I chopped 7-8 inches off as soon as i got home. My hair is still below my shoulders but its much better now. I carry detangler and a comb. But I can say this length is much easier. I'm not talented enough to braid my own hair so that was not an option. I also don't like the restriction of a hood on my neck.

Hey, I care! I like hoods though. I put conditioner on my hair on the boat then put my hood on. People say "There's something about Mary" when I have that stuff in my hair, but now who cares about that? Your hair will be soooo much better!

Get the Henderson Hyperstretch vested hood, I love it because it fits your head better and has a vent in the top for air bubbles! No more tangles when it is all slicked back with the conditioner and then you can just rinse at the dock and the comb out is easy, and you can go about your day without going home.

I vote for a hood or beanie. The biggest problem I have with hair entanglement is around the connection point between the strap and the mask and the snorkel keeper, and I don't think a neoprene strap would help with this. A hood is also nice because it keeps your hair out of the way in general, so it doesn't get stuck under the seal of your mask. And once your hair is stuck down the neck of a hood, it is out of the way between dives too (even when you pull the head part down). I guess that wouldn't be the case with a beanie though.

I doubt anyone will care what you look like wearing a hood, but if they do, who cares? :) Have fun on your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom