Trips to Mexico - HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why don't you two come with us to Cozumel? I am trying to get a group of eight together.

Thinking about May 20-27 kind of dates. We'll fly into Cancun, rent a vehicle, drive down to PLC and then take the ferry across. On the way we can dive Puerto Morelos or off Tulum but I think the Akumals and Tulums are fished out compared to Cozumel.

My house is 5 minute walk from the Plaza Las Glorias Dock and totally avoids the cruise ship crowds.

Drop in and see us in Puerto Morelos - we can have an argument about fish life comparison - lack of cruise ships and much less motorised traffic have meant we have managed to stop the destruction of this section of the reef and the abundant life just 5 minutes from shore astonishes even the snorkellers daily. That said they'll probably all go on holiday if we bet on it! We dive in a private cenote only 35 mins West of here in the forest. Find out why people are diving here and trying to buy houses and land and only 15 minutes from the airport. I would never disagree that Cozumel has fabulous coral formations but as far as a peaceful holiday and actually getting to see some of the real Mexico PM is the place. Look forward to seeing you all

cobaltbabe:
We really don't want to go to Coz. I hate crowds and would rather see the people and the country and the water from below then have to wade through crowds.

I appreciate all the input.

Cozumel is very different from Cancun; it's not "Little America" at all in comparison, IMO. Although the Pod People can crowd the Main Drag in town in the middle of the day when there are several ships in port, they are quite easy to avoid. I hate crowds, too, but I love Cozumel.

You can go east across the island to the "wild side" where there is no electricity and just the occasional beach bar dotting the otherwise undeveloped coastline. You can go south past the cruise ship docks to the more mainstream beach clubs. You can go north to the bone-fishing flats and lagoons.

You won't find better diving anywhere else in the region, either.

Gregpsych let us know how your trip went, I am very interested in your link, looks like a great place to get away from the rat race :)

We just came back from Cancun, Coz, Isla Mujeres and Akumal.

The best diving was in Coz but it was somewhat of a hassle getting to Coz from Cancun. The most relaxing for us was in Akumal. The Akumal dive shop was great and it was less than a 10 minute boat ride to a 80 ft dive. We had 4 people on hte boat everything was laid back and the boat captain and the dive master were very competant (sp). The local area in Akumal was so laid back and romantic that my wife and I decided to stay there next time. Try locogringo.com for more info

Regards

Ray

cobaltbabe:
Ontario Diver and I are thinking about taking a trip to Mexico mid June. We are looking for something that is a little remote where we can lay on the beach and dive, dive, dive. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions from past experience and if they could PM me with the details, ie. cost ect. All inclusive would be nice but right now I am looking for details and suggestions from divers. Thank you in advance.

One of my favorite places in Mexico is La Paz, on the Sea of Cortez. It is a laid back, sleepy little fishing village without tourism. Restaurants are good, people are super nice - even nicer if you speak Spanish. We stayed at La Concha Beach resort, http://www.laconcha.com/. Great diving operation, they really know their stuff. BTW - the resort is full of Mexicans, American's and many other nationalities. Really great mix of people.

All that being said, the diving is outrageous. Saw mantas, sea lions, pilot whales, dolphins and more variety of fish than I could ever hope to identify. It was like swimming in fish soup. Takes a long time to get to the dive sites but is sooo worth it. For your SI - your boat captain will pull the boat into a remote beach on a deserted island and serve you lunch. It is amazingly beautiful and relaxing.

Hope this helps.

A friend of mine has just opened a second dive store (in tulum) and has a very good operation in Playa. The store is called the Abyss http://abyssdiveshop.com ask to talk to diego and tell him I sent you.

Baja would fit the bill for the type of trip you are looking for.
Check out Loreto or La Paz. My favorite is Villas de Loreto run by a Canadian couple Ron and Wendy. Be careful you may want to change your name to Bajababe. No crowds and lots of space.

Try Mahahual in the Costa Maya area. This is remote with not a lot happening in June. It is a good time to dive there as the ocean is relatively calm for most of the time. You can contact bluehadiving@hotmail.com and Mayapalmsdiving@hotmail.com for further information. Mahahual is 370 kilometers south of Cancun and on the border with Belize. Belize is 55 kilometers away. It is still a fishing village under rapid progress changes. one day a week is a cruise ship but apart from that it is peace and tranquillity.

nitrogenaddict2:
Try Mahahual in the Costa Maya area. This is remote with not a lot happening in June. It is a good time to dive there as the ocean is relatively calm for most of the time. You can contact bluehadiving@hotmail.com and Mayapalmsdiving@hotmail.com for further information. Mahahual is 370 kilometers south of Cancun and on the border with Belize. Belize is 55 kilometers away. It is still a fishing village under rapid progress changes. one day a week is a cruise ship but apart from that it is peace and tranquillity.

Hi All,
Just wanted to update the thread. Maya Palms diving inquiries should be directed to the main website www.mayapalms.com for e-mail links or info@mayapalms.com the hotmail address is in no way associated with our company.
Thank you,
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom