Triple-L BC's and Products in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back... sorry I didn't post last night but after a 2 hour drive both ways I was a bit tired. After today's second day of diving.... the results......

A total of 5 dives, 2 at Devil's Den, 3 at Blue Grotto to a max depth of 50ft, I am now OW certified, and the Orion performed very well.

From the experience the last two days, here are the highlights:

First, when installing the bladder it is critical to loop the strap back through the buckle or it will become loose.

Based on what I have read, all BP/W have a tendancy to force you forward on the surface. This one is no different. By the end of the day today I was getting very comfortable floating on my back laying on top of the unit. Very comformtable!!!

Underwater... the first few dives I had trouble getting all the air out of the bladder. I wasn't sure if this was the bladder or me being a newbie... by dive 5 I determined it was me and descending was not a problem.... in fact we found that I had way to much weight as I was overcompensating. I think I will probably reduce my weight by about 4 lbs.

Above water the unit is heavy but comfortable (probably like any other weight integrated unit. Underwater... All I can say is I love it. The reason I bought even before being certified is that I found the jackets clausterphobic and uncomfortable. In the Orion I was very comfortable, and had full range of motion.

In terms of maintaining boyancy underwater all I can say is I'M A NEWBIE. I had my share of challanges and from what I can tell they are all mine and not the Orion's. My main issues were being overwight, adding/subtracting too much air at a time and basically doing some bouncing in the water. By the end of the last dive I was getting much better at hovering in a horizontal position at 30ft.

I had a number of people checking out my rig, and one family said they will be checking the Triple-L site tonight.

I am very happy with my purchase and can't wait until my next dives. For $200 (I ordered the Laguna bad with it) I have no complaints.

I just added 2 pics, one from Peace Rock at 50ft in Blue Grotto the other of me and the Orion.

Great..
Thanks for the update.. Let us all know how it goes as you get more dives in.
Cheers,

midwest_matt:
Can you take the wing off the back and attach it to a normal backplate?

I don't know for sure but I guess it all depends on where the slots are on the backplate.

BTW, I was in the pool with the kids this weekend for their confined water dives, and did a lot of practicing with my Orion. By the end of the weekend I had dropped 6 pounds of weight from my kit. Bouyancy is much easier without all that extra weight :)

I just received the Stratos BC from Triple-L and was impressed with its quality. I haven't used it yet, though, because I bought the wrong darned size! I normally wear an XL Scubapro BC since I'm not the svelte young stud I was 20 years ago (and even then only in my imagination), so I didn't look too carefully at the Triple-L sizing chart and ordered an XL. Looking at the chart now I see that while I do fit the XL chest/waist dimensions on the chart, I'm actually on the bottom end of the ranges and the Large ranges are closer to truth.

The BC, while nice and well made, was really big on me, as was the weight belt I ordered with it. I liked everything about it but the fit. I'm returning it to exchange for a large and will post my impressions after I dive it.

mavjax:
I don't know for sure but I guess it all depends on where the slots are on the backplate.

BTW, I was in the pool with the kids this weekend for their confined water dives, and did a lot of practicing with my Orion. By the end of the weekend I had dropped 6 pounds of weight from my kit. Bouyancy is much easier without all that extra weight :)

Glad it's working out for you. If you get a chance, grab the digicam and take some shots of the BCD's details.. Not many pictures of the rig out there yet.. I'd like to see some of the D ring placements and particularly where exactly the handle is located. Is the pouch on the cumberbund removable? Hard to beat it for the money..
Thanks,
Scott

jbichsel:
I posted another thread but didn't get much feedback. I'll try it here.

Does anyone have experience with Triple-L Isis (womens BC)?

My wife is in the market for a new one. We both love the SeaQuest Dive except for $$$.

At $145 the Isis is quite attractive, but I'm not sure I want to spend even that on something that she can't try first.

Looking for a BC for my wife as well.
The cross straps on the Isis just look too stange for me. I kinda wonder how you get the thing on with those straps the way they are...

JAG

smay28:
Glad it's working out for you. If you get a chance, grab the digicam and take some shots of the BCD's details.. Not many pictures of the rig out there yet.. I'd like to see some of the D ring placements and particularly where exactly the handle is located. Is the pouch on the cumberbund removable? Hard to beat it for the money..
Thanks,
Scott

I'll try to get some pics in the next couple of days.

Jagfish - I'll let you know in the next couple of days.. a Triple-L Isis is arriving tomorrow or Friday for the better half.

jagfish:
Looking for a BC for my wife as well.
The cross straps on the Isis just look too stange for me. I kinda wonder how you get the thing on with those straps the way they are...

JAG

The Pegasus looks like a nice toned down unit as well. Haven't seen any reviews out there yet though.

Back
Top Bottom