Trip to Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoodlm13b

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey folks, I had never been to Maui so I found this site and asked where to dive and who to dive with. After reading the replies I decided to go with B&B Scuba in Kihei. My wife and I had two boat dives with those guys and next time I go to Maui I'll dive with them again. There were 7 other people besides my wife and I on the boat so it was more personal than 15 or more like other outfits. The crew was really laid back but professional. We felt like part of the family. While diving, Brad pointed out a few of the local attractions like the eel in the rock and the shark. I know sometimes with other outfits it's kind of a free-for-all and you don't know where to look to find the cool stuff. Before the dive Brad told us what we would see so we made sure we all our hand signals down for the specific types of marine life. The sandwiches on board were pretty darn good too. Maybe cause I was so hungry. We left pretty early but I realized why after we were on our way in. Molokini looks like a NASCAR race once 7am hits. The prices were great for my wife's rental gear too.

The next day my wife and I did our own beach dives. Our first dive was at Ulua beach and was very nice. Our second dive was at Ahihi Bay. Ahihi Bay is not bad but when the locals say don't dive there after 10 or so in the morning, you better listen. We were only in the water about 15 minutes cause the undertow was so strong and we were getting thrown around quite a bit so we cut the dive short. You enter and exit on the lava rock so if you're a beginner I DON'T recommend it after early morning. Kameole(sp?)3 is a great beach for out-of-towners. I snorkeled there on my own and saw tons of nice coral and fish.

All in all it was a fantastic trip! The luau, the people, the food, the smell and everything else made that my new number one travel destination. To see our pics and video you can go to MySpace.com - Pale Horse Travel - 32 - Male - Nixa, Missouri - www.myspace.com/palehorsetravel. Have fun!

Glad you had such a good time here - Lots of B&B fans here on the board too :) You're right, they treat you like you are just one of the family.

Hope you make it back soon.

Aloha, Tim

It's always great to read good reviews of ops, sites, and the people of Maui. :D Thanks for posting your experiences.

The comments on Ahihi are certainly accurate -- though it does vary by the day and season on when the wind will pick up. I've had some decent afternoon dives there, but it's pretty shallow for quite a ways so surge can be an issue.

For next time, there is a concrete "ramp" on the NW side of the cove (the part closest to Wailea/Makena) that makes entry much easier. :)

Ahihi can be a slippery entry ... The easiest entry I had there was when I did a dive with Otter and we started at Ahihi Cove, did a nice 100 minute dive that took us around Ahihi Bay and then back. Nice long shallow dive ... very nice and relaxing :)

Another happy B&B customer.

Not a shocker at all :)

We leave for Maui on Wednesday and we're doing two days of diving with B&B followed by 2 days with Extended Horizons. I booked those two dive ops based on the good feedback I have found on ScubaBoard. Thanks for sharing your positive experience. I can hardly wait to get in the water!

We're planning on doing some snorkeling (possibly shore diving if my dive-crazy husband has his way) in the afternoons with my in-laws. I have noticed there are long lists of possible sites to visit. My in-laws like to snorkel but definitely don't want anything too taxing. If anyone cares to share their favorite spots, I'd be most grateful.

We're planning on doing some snorkeling (possibly shore diving if my dive-crazy husband has his way) in the afternoons with my in-laws. I have noticed there are long lists of possible sites to visit. My in-laws like to snorkel but definitely don't want anything too taxing. If anyone cares to share their favorite spots, I'd be most grateful.

Afternoons can be windy... I would say Airport beach, Black Rock, and Honolua Bay are some good spots in west Maui. Down south Ulua Beach, Wailea Beach, Makena Landing/5 Graves (either entry), Ahihi and the Maui Prince. There may be others but those all look pretty good for snorkeling/diving.

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom