Trip report : yet another Sipadan/Mabul Xmas report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Tired of Sipadan & Mabul? Ok skip your way, don't read this... :wink:

For me, it was the third time this year at Borneo Divers Mabul resort, 6 days ending on Xmas day an dprobably one of the last stays here. It is now time to change! :D

If you want more details on how, who, what, pls check out my two other reports on this board. I will simply focus on photos this time, with my faithful Canon5D armored with its Subal Housing and followed by Inon Z240 and Nikonos SB105 strobes.

Of course it was such a pleasure to stay on that lovely deck, chatting with Amine, Eljer or Jimmy, looking at the open sea while I was hearing that my home airport, PARIS that is, was closed because of too much snow. Lucky me I had forwarded my departure by one day! the day after the planes were stranded! :blinking:

I read people whining on permits to Sipadan. Here is my hint : beat the crowds one week before or after they're coming, don't be sheepish :eyebrow:.
On my arrival, december 19th, we were exactly 11 people staying at the resort, only 7 diving.. and that was about it for 3 days we could go everyday to Sipadan, then we were 20 and we still could go at least every two days to Sipadan but along with other guests we asked to stay on Mabul to hunt for the littlies...
The day after our departure (ie 25/26th december) two groups of 40 people from Hongkong were invading the place... wooooshhh... :shocked2:

As for the diving, Sipadan was usually good everyday day we saw "full house" : the barracuda school, the jackfish school and the bumpheads school :cool2:

Last edited:
Mabul diving was another story. I found that Mabul grounds had been significantly deteriorated since my last stay in august and that was pretty obvious since the stay before in february 2010.

Kapalai's Mandarin valley which was once my prefered spot is just now a field of dead coral with no critters left. The only real attraction around was Lobster wall's denise pygmy seahorse.. no frogfish, no Ghostpipefish, only the nightdive on Borneo Divers' house reef Paradise 2 stood to its reputation with spanish dancer, lotsa different crabs and nudis, baby scorpionfishes of all kind.

However still a major diving place, though not as high on my list as it used to be. The times they are-a-changin' ... uh?

Nevertheless I fitted most of the times a 1,4 multiplier on my 100mm macro lens + a 1,3 wet diopter... even though I still find I am not macro enough! :shocked2:

Unfortunately someday we have to part... and that early morning was it.
Bye bye Borneo divers Mabul resort! :depressed:

Great shots again Luko and thanks for the report. I just hope that the macro is still there in February when I get in. 3 times in one year, envious!!!!

Cheers,

Great shots! I really like the bumphead parrotfish school in shallow water, its a very unique shot.

I think the H. Denise is the same one I've got a pic of in my Sipadan/Mabul gallery :)

Great shots! I really like the bumphead parrotfish school in shallow water, its a very unique shot.

I think the H. Denise is the same one I've got a pic of in my Sipadan/Mabul gallery :)

Thanks!
Yes i think it's the same, there was only one Denise left in Mabul in december. lobster wall, 21m deep, right?

Not macro enough??:rofl3::rofl3: hey luko i plan to return one day. Perhaps we can schedule something around the same time?

Perhaps we can schedule something around the same time?
Would have been a great pleasure, but after 3 times this year I would now rather go somewhere else for the next 2-3 years. :wink:
Which period of the year are you usually taking dive trips?

Would have been a great pleasure, but after 3 times this year I would now rather go somewhere else for the next 2-3 years. :wink:
Which period of the year are you usually taking dive trips?
no set periods apart from off peak times but still within the good seasons. Next week in malapascua /moalboal. Late May to bunaken/lembeh. Then we see where to after... could be Andamans or Palau

Hi Luko,
as usual nice report and great shots
i like the white anemone and yellow ribbon - so simple so beautiful.

for mandarin valey, if your objective is to shoot mandarin fish - don't worry if your next trip is ambon, plenty there and anytime
Thanks Wisnu.

Funnily enough I have never seen any mandarin fish on Mandarin valley (I don't know why it is called so... :confused: ), it was once a good place for flamboyant cuttlefish, frogfish and ghostpipefish.... and now just for coral rubble and sand. :shocked2:

This last year, the blue ring octopus was #1 on my huntlist but unfortunately nowhere I was able to spot one.. wish there are in Ambon... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom