Trip Report - Wakatobi, not up to the hype!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoping that the positive reviews are more accurate than the negative ones (and knowing I can live with the few negatives that the negative reviews point out if they turn out accurate instead).

I guess we can all HOPE positive reviews are more accurate than the negative ones because we WANT it to come out that way. I personally look at the number of positive versus negative reviews and weigh that heavily. I discount divers that only give positive reviews just as much as those that complain all the time. I look for reviews that include positive and negative thoughts in the same review. Somehow that makes me think the person wasn't so overwhelmed with the fun he had that he/she just ignored some things that might not have been up to his/her standards. They aren't always complaints anyway. I hardly see anything wrong with pointing out things that didn't go according to plan or expectations.

I've been to at least 30 different resorts around the world and 100% of the experiences have been good overall. None were perfect but I don't need perfection to have a great time. I've been to places where I felt that the people running the dive operation were there to pick up a paycheck and others where I felt they were there to make sure I had a great time. My past experience with 2 Indonesian vacations has been very positive in this regard. I personally found the people to be the friendliest of all the places I've been. Someone reporting poor attitudes with some staffers raises a red flag with me.

I've also worked on a liveaboard and at two resorts. I've had guests in the exact same week complain and others indicate it was their best vacation ever. Obviously many many factors make up ones personal experience. Because of this first hand experience, I certainly wouldn't use one review to make a decision. I was also impressed that the management tried to address the issues stated. I always wonder why more owners/managers don't try to explain percieved problems.

I think the premise of the original post was the diver had very high expectations based on the overwhelming amount of advertising this resort does. Some things apparantly didn't meet those expectations. I think that's a problem that Wakitobi faces when much of their marketing material makes it sound like it is the end all of diving. Their relatively high price (yes it's very remote) would also make my expectations higher than some places. I also believe (could easily be wrong) that having no direct competition can be problematic.

I've been to at least 30 different resorts around the world and 100% of the experiences have been good overall. None were perfect but I don't need perfection to have a great time. I've been to places where I felt that the people running the dive operation were there to pick up a paycheck and others where I felt they were there to make sure I had a great time. My past experience with 2 Indonesian vacations has been very positive in this regard. I personally found the people to be the friendliest of all the places I've been. Someone reporting poor attitudes with some staffers raises a red flag with me.
Re-reading the original report, the "poor attitudes" were apparently found among the one DM and the "senior staff", neither of which I'm guessing were friendly Indonesian people. Otherwise, the report did say the staff were helpful and hardworking, just not "happy". Maybe they should be trained to whistle while they work?

There aren't too many recent Wakatobi reports posted here, unfortunately. One, from 2007, from a seemingly well-traveled fellow (Travelnsj) said this: "Wakatobi is an excellent operation. I have visited about 20 to 25 different dive or dive resort operations around the world, Nothing compares to Wakatobi. The Indonesians take care of these boats like their own. One day after coming up for a dive I went to make a cup of Hot Chocolate, the boat captain waved me off. Not knowing what he meant, I soon learned that was his job! After every dive, I had Hot Chocolate waiting for me. The dive guides are mostly European coming from Germany, Austria, England, France and Switzerland. Alex my dive guide was as good as the best I have dove with anywhere. I cannot say enough about how excellent every facet of this dive operation is."

Like night and day. I don't even like hot chocolate but after a report like that, I'll sample a cup.

Now it's possible that the resort has changed significantly since that 2007 report. It's possible that the resort is the same, but was having a "bad week" for some reason or another during the recent reporter's experience there. Or it's possible that the resort is simply inconsistent, with some bad weeks alternating with some good weeks. Finally, it's possible that the reporter's subjective experience of the staff was negative due to some other reason: thinking the local staff unhappy because of cultural inexperience with Indonesian islanders, thinking the senior staff aloof and unfriendly because of cultural inexperience with Europeans/Swiss, or perhaps even some personality conflict that rubbed someone the wrong way.

Who knows? All I can say is that on Undercurrent, there are 6 Wakatobi reports posted from 2009. One of them, the only negative one, is the same report that started this thread. Another 2009 report on the site, from a reporter who lists an impressive dive resume, echoes that of Travelnsj: "In 30+ years of diving around the world, I found Wakatobi to be one of the best operations from start to finish."

Night and day. It's either going to be mediocre or one of the best operations I've ever experienced, or maybe even something in between. I'll take my chances.

I've also worked on a liveaboard and at two resorts. I've had guests in the exact same week complain and others indicate it was their best vacation ever. Obviously many many factors make up ones personal experience. Because of this first hand experience, I certainly wouldn't use one review to make a decision. I was also impressed that the management tried to address the issues stated. I always wonder why more owners/managers don't try to explain percieved problems.
I completely understand. I had a litany of complaints about my Sky Dancer trip (none regarding the diving itself, which was fantastic), enough to likely keep me from ever taking another Peter Hughes trip. Yet others on that trip claimed it was one of their best ever. On the other hand, I rate my experience on the Galapagos Aggressor II as one of my best ever, yet that boat occasionally garners terrible reviews. Go figure.

I know my tastes. I won't mind the "regimentation" that some note about Wakatobi since I prefer keeping to a schedule tightly rather than loosely. If you gotta keep a schedule, might as well keep to it. If they do rinse the gear in salt water, it's no different than on a liveaboard where it's not getting rinsed at all (i.e. rinsed in the salt water of the last dive), and if I have to fly it back to Bali salty, I'll simply soak it in the tub during my overnight there. And after shelling out close to $10K for the resort plus Bali-Wakatobi flight plus nitrox for two, I ain't gonna whine over $8 wine.

Where I do have expectations is with working A/C and toilet in our room. One 2008 Undercurrent report claimed several guests were without and the problem wasn't adequately addressed. That's far more serious and if that happens to us during our trip, you can bet I'll write a negative report. (Part of my negative issue with the SkyDancer, for example, is that the head exploded in our room one day, spraying raw sewage everywhere - that happens from time to time, I suppose, but it was the lousy clean-up job they tried to get away with that really drew my ire; that, and something causing the entire salon A/C drip pan to dump on my bed overnight one night leaving me, bedding, and mattress soaked to the bone at 5 a.m., even after I had been complaining about the slow drip from above that had already destroyed a $40 camera battery, well that was the last straw!)

I think the premise of the original post was the diver had very high expectations based on the overwhelming amount of advertising this resort does. Some things apparantly didn't meet those expectations. I think that's a problem that Wakitobi faces when much of their marketing material makes it sound like it is the end all of diving. Their relatively high price (yes it's very remote) would also make my expectations higher than some places. I also believe (could easily be wrong) that having no direct competition can be problematic.
C'mon, everyone advertises and everyone who advertises tends to put themselves in the best possible light. Surely no one is gullible enough to believe everything the ads say?

My 10-day Sky Dancer trip cost, exclusive of airfare, more than my 11-night Wakatobi package, probably about the same if I factor in all those $8 glasses of wine versus free booze on PH (and while it's necessary to pay extra to fly Bali-Wakatobi, that's not much different than the cost of flying mainland Ecuador-Galapagos). Peter Hughes does an overwhelming amount of advertising as well. "On a Dancer Fleet® Live-Aboard diving vacation, luxury features and topnotch amenities, plus attention to every detail will make you feel as pampered as an invited guest on a private yacht." That doesn't mention anything about soaking beds and exploding heads. And you know what, I'd bet 90% or more of Peter Hughes customers are perfectly satisfied with their trips if not downright ecstatic, and I'm probably stupid for not wanting to give them another chance.

I sure hope my toilet works at Wakatobi!

Hello,

I'm a well known filmmaker, photographer and travel writer writing from Fiji (where in the top resorts, wine averages FJ$12+ a glass - about US$8 - and coral reefs are pretty trashed except in a couple of protected areas) - I feel I have to add my opinion here about Wakatobi. I've traveled the world and have never, never found such a special place. The reefs are not only pristine, but actually thriving - this is one of the only places in the world where clients come back 3, 4 times and every time they say there is more fish. This due to the complete commitment by the owners to an ongoing social project - giving all the local villagers, towns and entire area money, schools, education, health assistance and a standard of life that would otherwise not exist. They have taught the locals to be proud of their reefs and after 15 years, all the local villagers now look to the resort with joy, protect their reefs, monitor them and prevent anyone from outside coming to fish them. The staff at the resort are adorable - local, Balinese and expat. I heard some comments about a couple of DMs who weren't as amazing as the ones I dove with and they were kindly moved on, as Wakatobi employs only the very best - and if some make it through and are not up to their standards, they do not stay long. The food is absolutely amazing, the accommodations are gorgeous - Although mine was perfect, I did hear air conditioners struggle a bit if it is very, very hot, but rooms are always cool - sometimes just not freezing - but who wants freezing ice rooms in the tropics anyway? The drinks are not expensive compared with Bali or other areas of the world i have been - I don't know many places where you get the best cocktails for $7.50 and you do in Wakatobi.. The jetty bar is stunning, sipping bintang under the stars is pure magic. And the staff couldn't do enough to help. They really, really want you to tell them if there is anything they can do to make your time 'even better' - and if you say something, they do it. They try their hardest to go beyond pleasing - if you feel like a plate of chicken terryaki in the restaurant and its not on the menu or the buffet, you ask, you get. No charge. And as for the diving.. Granted, i have not visited Raja Ampat, although understand you have to go on a liveaboard, as there are no resorts that compare any way whatsoever in the high standard of Wakatobi - but other than that I have traveled and dived round the world and have never, never seen such gorgeous diving as Wakatobi. I heard they have also reduced their guest: dive guide ration of 4:1 which is unheard of in such a lovely resort, which actually has a lot of guests! The boats are amazing, the guides are fantastic spotters and very knowledgeable and I say more variety of creatures in one week than I could see in years diving in Fiji, Maldives, Australia, Caribbean, Indian Ocean, Pacific, or anywhere I have been. Management is very kind - always there to address anything, always present to make sure you are happy and all is well - i really cannot find a negative thing to say, although im sure i am missing many positives. Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you all, as I understand there are bad weeks for all resorts, certain staff that are sometimes not up to standards and sometimes, someone gets unlucky - but I would really go on the positives for Wakatobi. And if you go and have any issues or questions before you go, contact them and ask them and let them know, They start helping you out and ensuring you get what you need even before you get there.

Another example of the usual Wakatobi report, filled with superlatives, and one which keeps me anticipating for the next 3 loooonnnng months.

Not just great, but the "best" in many ways. That's not just marketing hype. Do they put something in the water, or are some guests just living an alternate reality?

I have just returned from Wakatobi. One of my best holidays ever. Diving was generally excellent with great vis and the marine life is some of the best I've seen in one place. Healthy, thriving corals and abundant fish. Had a minor problem with one of the guides, but this was resolved swiftly and efficiently. Food was good and if you wanted something on the menu changed, it was done without fuss. The staff could not do enough to ensure our stay was as pleasant as possible !

And yes the wine is still U$8 per glass :D the sunsets were glorious and to see the Milky Way stretching out in the sky above you (on the nights it was clear !) is absolutely amazing.

I'm working out when I can go back. Or get on the Pelagian :D

I have just returned from Wakatobi. One of my best holidays ever. Diving was generally excellent with great vis and the marine life is some of the best I've seen in one place. Healthy, thriving corals and abundant fish. Had a minor problem with one of the guides, but this was resolved swiftly and efficiently. Food was good and if you wanted something on the menu changed, it was done without fuss. The staff could not do enough to ensure our stay was as pleasant as possible !

And yes the wine is still U$8 per glass :D the sunsets were glorious and to see the Milky Way stretching out in the sky above you (on the nights it was clear !) is absolutely amazing.

I'm working out when I can go back. Or get on the Pelagian :D

Where else have you dove in Indonesia?

Holy Smokes! I'm going to Wakatobi!!!! So is lovely and talented Wilhelmina, whom I will expect be along shortly to post too. We'll give you guys the 411 on the scene out there, and we're trying to round up a bunch of SB'ers for the trip as well (thank you everyone who voted!) I should say though, ahead of time that we never rinse our gear in any kind of water, and that we probably won't be showering before happy hour. Be forewarned. The eight dollar wine is maybe a little higher than what we see here, but not too bad. I appreciate the original poster posting his experiences, and I believe that this is invaluable information to many divers here on the board who may be trying to make decisions about future diving destinations. I just wanted to state ahead of time that we're not very focused on some of the issues that the OP had. Everybody's different right? Anyway, we'll shoot a report about our trip as soon as we get back. Wilhelmina? Say something Wil....

Re-reading the original report, the "poor attitudes" were apparently found among the one DM and the "senior staff", neither of which I'm guessing were friendly Indonesian people.

I think that any professional, Indonesian or not, working with customers day in and day out is a tiring job. Even the best and most professional staff have "off" days. I have even been known to have one or two myself :blinking:

You try your best to give the guests what they want and need and pamper them as much as you can even if your favourite Aunt has just popped her clogs or you have had a major barny with the other half.

Also there are always "personality clashes" to consider and the guests that will not be happy no matter what you do for them. (Brings back memories of showing a guest a whale shark and he acted as if he was extremely bored.....:mooner:)

To the original poster: All I can say is good luck with your next vacation - make it a budget one and then you won't be so upset about the price!! :D

...... popped her clogs???? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom