Trip Report - Wakatobi, not up to the hype!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Rick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Travelling to Wakatobi can be complicated and lengthy. Overnight in Bali is necessary, and we should have planned more than 2 days there, so much more to see. Charter flight to Wakatobi was long, hot and miserable. Once at resort, bags etc are looked after for you. Dive gear set up at docks a little crowded, but well organized in numbered bins for staff to carry to and from boats.

Everything here is run with typical Swiss precision, but I found it far too regimented. I felt as if I was in the army, with everything scheduled down to the exact minute. Only thing seemed flexible was the 60 min bottom times. I was averaging 70 mins per dive, and no one said anything to me, they seemed glad I was enjoying my dives. Great shore dives.

DM's left a lot to be desired. They seem only to go through the motions and didn't really enjoy themselves. Our DM refused to show us around on dives or point out critters for us. After speaking to his supervisor, he improved for one day, but soon returned to his previous behaviour.

Dives were nice, but I have done many better dives without travelling so far! This was a very expensive trip, but I never felt I got my money's worth. Fish life was varied but got very boring after first few dives. Nothing much different from each site.

The senior staff at Wakatobi was very aloof, and unfriendly, too business like. Other staff helpful and hardworking, but did not seem very happy to me. Island staff clearly treated poorly compared to European and N American staff. Food was great, but buffet style. A glass of wine at dinner was $8, which is outrageous.

Happy hour (20% off) was 4:30-5:30 pm, but return time from 3rd dive was about usually after 4:30 every day, so no one got cleaned up in time to go to bar and take advantage of it!

The other "scam" at Wakatobi, (and they seem to treat it like their dirty little secret), was no fresh water for rinsing gear!! Even on the last day we were repeatedly reminded that "rinsing gear upon returning home is strongly recommended". Then we figured out why, they were filling the "rinse tanks" with salt water! When confronted with this, a staff member denied it, but was later observed emptying the tanks, and refilling them with REAL fresh water to clean off the resort owned gear used by DM's. I then tried to rinse my gear in an outdoor shower, and was ordered to stop by a DM, because it was "not allowed". Everyone in my group then took their gear to our cabins and rinsed in our showers. Most of us had a 4 day journey to get home, and were not going to see a hotel room with water for over 24 hours, so it was critical to get the salt off our gear before packing to leave. Be warned.

Staff reminded us excessively about tipping before we left. Check out was a wasted evening lined up awaiting our turn to meet with account person to settle our bill. We waited in line for two hours on our last evening, when we should have been enjoying ourselves. Cabins were nice, but A/C didn't work very well. Breeze from the ocean helped though.

Yes, Wakatobi is nice, dives are nice, food was nice. However, none of it lived up to the hype, and it’s a long way to travel for the mediocre. Many in our group left feeling like we'd travelled a long way for nothing. Same or better diving is available closer to home (and lest costly). If I want to do similar diving in the future, I will go back to Fiji.

When you say the charter flight was long... how long?

14 hours? 8? 1.5?

A bottle of the cheapest wine you can purchase in Manado is $80, same bottle would cost you less than $20 in Canada... you won't find one for less than $30 in Bali, how many glasses in a bottle? Add on the transport etc to get it to Wakatobi.

$8 a glass is not that bad in Indonesia..

When you say the charter flight was long... how long?.......$8 a glass is not that bad in Indonesia..

If memory serves, it was about 4 hrs there, and 3 hrs back (there was a fuel stop on the way there). I said "long, hot, and miserable" because it was in a beat up plane, with seats that were all falling apart, and very uncomfortable to sit in for any length of time. Broken arm wrests, torn or missing upholstery, exposed metal, etc. Plus the A/C didn't work worth a crap, and the food supplied was terrible.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the worst thing in the world, just wanted people to be aware and adjust their expectations. After flying all the way there and back in First class, we had been a bit spoiled, so this particular flight seemed pretty rough.

As for $8 glass of wine, perhaps it is the norm for Indonesia. But again, I am just reporting it, so people know what to expect! Simple. I found it outrageous because it was about the most expensive glass of otherwise low end wine I have ever purchased, and at have gone to many other places in the world, including live aboards or all inclusives where better wine was included for free, and the over all costs of the trip were far less.

Again, I was just warning people what to expect.

Many people will continue to go to Wakatobi and have a great time, I am sure. My personal feeling after returning was that I didn't get my $$ worth, and would not choose to return for that and other reasons I tried to share.

Best happy hour at Wakatobi ...

Come back from the third dive, take a shower, walk out to the end of the pier, get a cold Bintang from the bar, and watch the amazing sunset before dinner. One of my very best memories of our trip there. I'm pretty easy to please when I'm in paradise.

Attachments

• 1 (259).jpg
    1 (259).jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 1 (260).jpg
    1 (260).jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 107
Thnx for the report, a bit different from the Rodales version.lol

I am really shocked! There super video they send you is unreal. I wonder if the liveaboard is the same?

good to know. They have beautiful marketing. Definitely not easy to get (nor cheap) there so I'd hope it would be worth the trip. You are not the only one on SB to post that there are better dive locations out there.

good to know. They have beautiful marketing. Definitely not easy to get (nor cheap) there so I'd hope it would be worth the trip. You are not the only one on SB to post that there are better dive locations out there.

They spend a heap o' money on their brochures. That's a tip-off to me. One of the ladies in my office came back saying PNG or Fiji are far better, especially for the money.

Thanks for the report. Now I don't feel so bad about not wanting to pony up the cash for such a vacation there.

Diver Rick...I have about the same opinion regarding the diving as you. But I am surprised to hear the negative about the DM. I found the operation at Wakatobi was excellent including the DM I had for the 10 days....but the diving was OK...much better diving in other locations I've been in Indonesia.

Regarding the price of wine very typical of Indo and even SoCal!

Back
Top Bottom