Trip Report - Wakatobi, not up to the hype!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alcohol costs weren't always that way. It happened in September of 08, the Indonesian govt cracked down on imports so there is only one official importer of foreign alcohol.
I went to the store one day that Sept, a bottle of Absolut vodka cost me the equivalent of $18. Two days later, it was $54... lets just say I didn't buy that other bottle :)

Late 08 and early 09 was a very bad time in Indo for imported alcohol, most resorts around here ran out as there just wasn't any stock to be found due to the tripled cost.

On the other hand, the price of Bintang Beer was not affected :) its brewed in Indonesia.

We only serve Bintang beer here, no spirits, no wine.. too cost prohibitive as we would have to charge the guests a fortune. However, it would certainly be a nice option to be able to offer it to guests but as a small operation we just can't afford to buy a bunch of stock and keep it on hand when it's not really in high demand.

Therefore, we always suggest to folks to bring their duty free with them. If you don't finish it.. I will gladly accept it :D

Mike,

That works out at 1/2 a bottle of Vodka per day - no wonder your double posting!

(Just Kidding)

We only serve Bintang beer here, no spirits, no wine..

One of our requisite questions of a resort or boat when we're looking for the next Indo trip ... "Do you have cold Bintang?"

Mike,

That works out at 1/2 a bottle of Vodka per day - no wonder your double posting!

(Just Kidding)
but but but... i only have Bintang! mind you, they are large Bintang :)

double post? ya, Indonesian internet not all that hot either :) but at least the weather is :D

A very interesting mature discussion from both patron and management here. What Im interested in is that it seems Henrik that you have the only dive resort in Wakatobi am I correct? Good that you provide local contribution and strive for eco sustainability within your resort. And you do well to promote the resort as an A+ dive experience.

I myself havent been to Wakatobi, it is on the long list. I use tripadvisor a lot when deciding on dive ops and resorts. The resort seems to have only 1 bad report from 19 so that's a positive. There seems to be reference to particlar expat DMs on the negative review, and there is reference to clean fresh water availability with rinse tanks. I wouldnt rate $8 USD for a low end glass of wine in Indo as OTT. They are all imported anyway, any business has to make their minimum margins after the duty is applied. So as a tourist I think you have to accept this Rick.

Would I go to Wakatobi? Perhaps. However I dive in search of fabled pelagics, something seemingly rarer nowadays in some Indo waters as a result of overfishing and/ or cyanide / bomb fishing. Yes education is happening amongst locals but the major damage is done. Until reports of Wakatobi's marine biomass become as good as Sipadan or Raja Ampat, then I will strongly consider going.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to hear that Wakatobi Divers didn't live up to expectations for some of you, but don't let that put you off the whole of the Wakatobi! Wakatobi Divers is based on Tomia, which is only one of the Wakatobi Islands. There is some great diving around the other island too, such as Hoga Island, Wanci, Runduma, Kaledupa, Karang Koromaha etc.

A fairly new dive operator called Wasage Divers runs diving trips to the Wakatobi too. And whilst we are not 5 Star like Wakatobi Divers, the diving you get with us is very affordable and I am sure you will feel it is well worth the money! Please check out our website www (dot) wasagedivers (dot) com

Happy Diving! :)

PS I live in Indo and the price of any alcohol that isn't produced locally is very high unfortunately - I think the government put huge taxes on importing it! :(

Sorry I'm new to this forum and I'd only read the first page of messages when i posted my message. Now having read all of them I'd like to say I am also impressed by Henrik's response, and from everything I've ever heard Wakatobi Divers is top notch!

I don't want my previous message to be taken wrongly or for people to think we're trying to go into competition with Wakatobi Divers as that's not our aim. We are aiming to make diving in the Wakatobi more affordable and accessible for those who are financially unable to consider a diving trip with Wakatobi Divers. :) We're not a five star establishment and we don't have a charter flight from Bali, but we do try to give a good and friendly service, and to show divers some of the best sites the Wakatobi has to offer! :)

Hi Everyone,

If you don't mind, I'd like to add a few of my thoughts about Wakatobi to the discussion. By way of background, I have been to Wakatobi twice, the first visit in 2006 and then again in May 2009. I have also been very fortunate to have the opportunity to dive in many other parts of Asia, the Caribbean and elsewhere.

When I think about Wakatobi, I think about the total experience, both above and below water. If I only consider the diving and what I see underwater, I would say that Wakatobi is among the best places that I have visited, but probably not #1. The coral is without a doubt the best and healthiest that I have seen, but I did want for a bit more variety and concentration in marine life. So for a below water assessment only, Wakatobi is certainly in the top group of places that I have been, but maybe not the absolute best.

Still on the diving, the dive boats are very spacious (Wakatobi VI is a bit roomier) and for me, the guides have been very good. I dove with Wendy in 2006 (I will see her again in a few weeks on the Peter Hughes Paradise Dancer) and in 2009 I dove with Deni, Kaori (fantastic guide!), Naomi and Britta. I would be happy to dive with any of them again.

Above water, simply stated, I have not found any place better in a dedicated dive resort. The rooms, the food, the responsiveness were all top notch. To give you an idea of the attention to service at Wakatobi, on one evening towards the end of the trip, I was asked to join a group of four other guests and provide feedback and input to Wakatobi. What could they do better? What did I like most? What did I like least? What was missing? This discussion lasted about 1.5 hours and what it showed me was that Wakatobi wants feedback and input. Similarly, after the first day and a half of diving, my guide came to my bungalow (and I believe that she did this for everyone that she was guiding) and asked how I was enjoying the diving. Was there something that she could do better? Was there anything that I needed in terms of diving, etc? To be fair, above water, a Four Seasons Resort might be better, but there isn't a Four Seasons anywhere in Indonesia outside of Bali and even then, they aren't dedicated dive resorts.

I recognise that everyone's experience is different and because of that I respect Rick's views. His point is that "there is better diving for less money elsewhere". I would probably agree that there is at least equal quality diving (if not even a bit better) at a cheaper price, but when I consider the whole package - below AND above water - I think Wakatobi rocks. For example, Lembeh has great diving as does PNG or Palau, but for the overall experience I don't think that they are better than Wakatobi. So maybe it is about what one is looking for in their holiday.

Just to put things in perspective regarding the cost, my 11 night Wakatobi trip was US$5,175 in a select bungalow (including the flight from Bali). My 10 night trip to Raja Ampat in March 2010 on the Peter Hughes Paradise Dancer will cost US$4,525 without the flight from Bali to Sorong. Very comparable in my opinion.

Bottom-line, on my two visits to Wakatobi, I was extremely happy. I would return again in a heartbeat.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom