Trip Report - Turneffe Island Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will not return ( we have been there 3 times now) until major changes are made in how and who are managing the resort.

Bill

Well, you won't have to wait long because TIR changes managers like I change my socks. Apparently the owner is difficult to work for.

The longest lasting managers in recent history were Jason and Karen, a lovely couple, he from South Africa and she from Hong Kong. They were the relatively new Asst. Mgrs when we were there the first time and took over the top spot after the Mgr husband/wife team were fired about six months later. Jason and Karen lasted about two years and left of their own accord, right before my wife and I returned summer before last. They moved on to some resort in Mozambique.

Since then TIR's chewed through four or five different managers/assistant managers.

The funny thing is, from a guest's perspective the place pretty much runs itself as most of the Belizean staff have been there for many years and are very good at their jobs.

Last edited:
I would be interested in hearing more about the trouble there as well. I was looking at booking a trip there for December, but if there are going to be big problems, I'll have to think twice.

As I have been chatting with Danielle over our booking, I mentioned this thread. She has advise that the current managers have resigned and are leaving early September. Apparently new managers are en route and are "lovely people"... :)

As I look out my window this afternoon, the Great White North is living up to it's name. It's nice to know that a month from today, I'll be back at Turneffe :D

Last edited:
As I look out my window this afternoon, the Great White North is living up to it's name. It's nice to know that a month from today, I'll be back at Turneffe :D

It's cold here now and north winds are making the sea rough. Brrr.

It's cold here now and north winds are making the sea rough. Brrr.

So I hear... although "cold" is a relative thing I'm sure. It's -12C here this AM, and we got about a foot of snow overnight. The sun is out now, but it's howling. Some friends are diving in Lake Ontario this morning. "Sadly" my drysuit is away having the zipper replaced, so I had a great excuse to take a pass. :coffee:

Hank, if you wouldn't mind plugging in the pool heater for us, I'd appreciate it. My wife gets cold if the water is less than 80. In a 5mm with a 3mm hooded vest. I'm putting her on the bacon diet for the next month so she can grow some "bioprene"...

Downing, I will certainly say hello to the gang for you! Especially George. I seem to spend the most time with him, oddly.

Mr. Stoos report is accurate and entertaining as they always are. My wife and went to TIF 2 years ago for a week. Our experience exactly the same. Our dive guide for the week was Daniel and he was excellent, but I recognize the others as well as they seem to be very stable. The shore intervals are very very peaceful so if you want tranquility you will find it here. We walked the shore and looked at the millions of shells. at night there was lots of weird luminescence as well at times which was very cool. One night we had a storm that I thought was going to blow us off the island...good thing I like storms!!! Keep the stories coming Stoos.

Keep the stories coming Stoos.
Please send money so I can take trips and write "accurate and entertaining" reports... :wink:

Did I mention that two weeks from now, I will have finished a day of diving and will probably... scratch that... be sitting at George's little cabana sipping a nice cold Belikin?

Belikin-Beer--21078.jpg

Well, Mrs. Stoo and I are just back from our third trip to Turneffe Island. We had a predictably great time, and "she" is already wanting to book a fourth trip! I won't bother to go into the details, only to say that once again, it's the staff that makes the difference in this place. When we arrived after a long, long day of travelling (we basically missed an entire night's sleep on the way down) we were greeted by many of the staff by name, and recognized by the rest. There were a few new faces, but by and large, it was the same crowd. The much-heralded new managers were away on vacation (where the heck do you go on vacation when you live on Turneffe???) so we didn't get to meet them, but they seem well-liked by staff. There was a head-office fellow in for the week and he seemed to understand that the best way to "manage" the place is to just let staff do what they do best...

As for the diving, it was great as usual. We were blessed with a "constant" flow of Eagle Rays reminiscent of our first trip there. One highlight was a visit from a large female (I think) which was about 7' across. She cruised around and through our little group of a few divers for close to 10 minutes, posing for pictures and video takes. I nick-named her "Paris" as she was clearly an attention-seeker. (see below)

Our trip to the Blue Hole was the best one I have done. Vis was quite good and we were joined by (I think) 11 reef sharks. They wouldn't let me get close enough for a decent shot (with a 10mm lens, "close enough" is about two feet...) but certainly added to the dive.

All in all, another great trip to TIR and this place continues to hold my "Seal of Approval"!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg