Trip report,,Spree-FG 6/23-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well despite leaving most of my Thurs. mornings breakfast in a barf bag I had a good time. We encountered seas a bit rougher to say the least than NWS predicted---things do change quickly 110 miles out at sea!! Despite my late Wed. night and early day Thurs. motion sickness I got in 4 dives---what a treat! We saw seas from 2 to 6ft in more of a swell form/heavy chop as compared to waves.....the boat was rocking in ALL directions at once. Man those 5-6ft. jobbesr would really roll that boat. Thurs. first 2 dives were in 2-3ft.seas,,,3rd. dive seas were 3-4ft.....4th. dive seas were close to 5ft....... night dive sea was a strong 5/maybe 6ft.,, Melanie told me this data (I would ask her every dive to get a mental picture for future trips)....on Fri. seas were again strong 4 to near 5ft. both dives. Food and crew were great....trip leader all were very helpful and nice. We had a full boat of folks,,, a few teenagers....several women....mostly men. I only know of one minor injury outside of motion sickness and that was a girl got a few leg stings from a jelly. I saw TONS on fish.....barracuda- and they were big,,,,huge angle fish,,,,,sting ray-WOW,,,,,ells,,,,,lobster,,,,,,red brittle star,,,,,puffers,,,,,groupers,,,,,sea worm,,,,,,corals/sponges and lots of schooling fish that looked like clouds in the sky.A few saw a shark and a manta ray. My gear all worked well,,, my deepest dive was 90ft.. We of course watched the movie 'Open Water'--lol. I was seated in the dining area eating a snack and the boat was in 5-6ft. seas,,,,I would look out the port side window and see nothing but sky/clouds....turn and look out the starboard window and see sea foam and water!!! It was nice to get on land were the 'head' was in one spot and not moving!!! Saw lots of oil rigs,,,but seas were to rough to allow us the dive on one this trip. Water temp. was 84'..s at the upper water colume with various therm. that would drop the temps into the mid 70's. Vis was on average I would say 70-80ft.. Fun trip and I learned alot....met some new friends also.....got a suv. cup and t-shirt. Later Alan :)

texdiveguy:
Well despite leaving most of my Thurs. mornings breakfast in a barf bag I had a good time. We encountered seas a bit rougher to say the least than NWS predicted---things do change quickly 110 miles out at sea!! Despite my late Wed. night and early day Thurs. motion sickness I got in 4 dives---what a treat! We saw seas from 2 to 6ft in more of a swell form/heavy chop as compared to waves.....the boat was rocking in ALL directions at once. Man those 5-6ft. jobbesr would really roll that boat. Thurs. first 2 dives were in 2-3ft.seas,,,3rd. dive seas were 3-4ft.....4th. dive seas were close to 5ft....... night dive sea was a strong 5/maybe 6ft.,, Melanie told me this data (I would ask her every dive to get a mental picture for future trips)....on Fri. seas were again strong 4 to near 5ft. both dives. Food and crew were great....trip leader all were very helpful and nice. We had a full boat of folks,,, a few teenagers....several women....mostly men. I only know of one minor injury outside of motion sickness and that was a girl got a few leg stings from a jelly. I saw TONS on fish.....barracuda- and they were big,,,,huge angle fish,,,,,sting ray-WOW,,,,,ells,,,,,lobster,,,,,,red brittle star,,,,,puffers,,,,,groupers,,,,,sea worm,,,,,,corals/sponges and lots of schooling fish that looked like clouds in the sky.A few saw a shark and a manta ray. My gear all worked well,,, my deepest dive was 90ft.. We of course watched the movie 'Open Water'--lol. I was seated in the dining area eating a snack and the boat was in 5-6ft. seas,,,,I would look out the port side window and see nothing but sky/clouds....turn and look out the starboard window and see sea foam and water!!! It was nice to get on land were the 'head' was in one spot and not moving!!! Saw lots of oil rigs,,,but seas were to rough to allow us the dive on one this trip. Water temp. was 84'..s at the upper water colume with various therm. that would drop the temps into the mid 70's. Vis was on average I would say 70-80ft.. Fun trip and I learned alot....met some new friends also.....got a suv. cup and t-shirt. Later Alan :)

Alan, good to meet you on the trip, even though I only got 1 dive out of seven! I will head back there again, this time without Transderm Scop, appears from looking into it that I should have pulled that sucker off as soon as I saw that my eyes were totally bright red and my complexion resembled a banana! Even so the destination itself was great and I would recommend this trip to everyone.

Hopefully the next time we meet you won't have to check to see if I am still alive in my bunk!

OK. Transderm Scop made me worse, what's next? Onboard they had the electric pulse wristband that had a cured a crew member who had ended up in the same condition as me with Transderm Scop on a previous trip.

Did get to see some large feeding Parrot Fish, big Grouper and do my safety stop in the middle of about 20-30 Barracuda that were not about to move! Sat there for 5 minutes with the same one staring me down, looked like he was saying "just try and make me move!"

PM me when you go again or if you are up in our area.

Let's Dive!!!!!

Steve

Steve... it was my pleasure meeting and visiting with you,,,,,real sorry you were under the weather from motion sickness....but glad you did get in one nice dive. Hope we meet up again and can dive somewhere in the future. Have a safe trip back home from Houston. Keep in touch....... Alan :)

Glad you all had a good (?!) trip. You got to see first hand how fickle the gulf can be. Capt Frand has reminded me several times that the NOAA buoy is about 100 miles from the gardens. This can make a huge difference.

I'll be doing my DM training trip in July. I'm looking forward to going out again.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
Glad you all had a good (?!) trip. You got to see first hand how fickle the gulf can be. Capt Frand has reminded me several times that the NOAA buoy is about 100 miles from the gardens. This can make a huge difference.

I'll be doing my DM training trip in July. I'm looking forward to going out again.

TwoBit

TwoBit have a great dive/training trip in July,,,,that program does sound interesting!

What a difference a week can make. We went out the 17th and it was flat as a lake for the whole trip.

Back
Top Bottom