Trip report - SnorkelMania!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I loaded up the 11yo nephew (JB) to try to gauge his 1)ability, and 2) interest in learning to dive. I wanted to see how well he behaved in the water, whether he could listen and follow directions, and get him used to wearing a mask in the water. Later, we'll progress to clearing and breath-holding.

Day 1: Ate at Sally's (see PHD's post in my thread in the planning section)

Drove to Morrison springs. The Bubba and Billy-Joe family reunion was in full swing with nearly 100 bathers out for their weekly bath. Everyone was extremely well behaved, and friendly (Especially the english setter who would swim out to the "islands" (snorkelers) and try to climb on top).

So we geared up (which takes way less time when not diving) and headed to the water's edge. I won't horrify you with details, but we swam around the basin, and saw a few fish, and looked down into the hole. JB claimed he is a "floater" and can't do a surface dive. After a little while, he was swimming down and touching the log across the hole. After 2 hrs of in-the water, out-of the water, I decided to call it a day and head back to Pensacola. JB channeled his inner hillbilly and wanted to use the rope swing. <sigh> I guess ADD had kicked in. So, two swings later we were back in the truck and headed to Pensacola, with JB talking faster than the wheels were turning about how "this" was the place he wanted to do his check out dives (on the way up, he wanted to do them in Boca), how many classes did he need to go "into the hole", etc...

BTW, I noticed people launching boats further down the run, except for the GOB who launched is canoe over a pack of divers.

Day 2: I had planned to get up at 7:30, head to Navarre, snorkel there, then head to Pensacola. Have you tried to get an 11yo out of bed at 7:30 on a Sunday? We headed out at 9:30 to Navarre. Arriving on site, we find fewer people at the beach than there were at Morrison's the day before. Check with the Lifeguards about the Sea Nettles, and head into the water. Waves were running 1-2 in wide sets. JB didn't do quite so well handling the waves as he did handling the locals. Made it to the break in the pier, and a little further, and he wanted to go back in. I have to say that I was disappointed not to spend more time in the 30' + vis, and the teems of fish. Sea nettles were plentiful, but they were down below the surge, and thus not a problem for us on the surface.

Next trip: Canoing and snorkeling the lesser-visited springs.

Thanks for the report! Vortoberfest is coming up... perfect chance for the lesser visited springs :wink:

SuPrBuGmAn:
Thanks for the report! Vortoberfest is coming up... perfect chance for the lesser visited springs :wink:

So, do I pull the trigger on the Diveyak, or spend the same amount on a canoe carrier for the Ranger?

ClayJar seems to do well in his DiveYak and SeaYoda just picked himself up something similar to a DiveYak... all the cool kids are doing it.

SuPrBuGmAn:
ClayJar seems to do well in his DiveYak and SeaYoda just picked himself up something similar to a DiveYak... all the cool kids are doing it.

Ah, but theirs aren't the official Trident Diveyak!

So, show them up :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom