Trip report:¨Shark's friends¨ dive centrer, Santa-Lucia, CUBA.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark_tamer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from Santa-Lucia, Cuba for a one week dive vacation, from July 4th to July 11th.

The dive center is named ¨Shark's Friends¨ and it is situated on the beach, next to the Oasis Brisas resort.

It is not named ¨Shark's Friends¨ for nothing : They do an AWESOME shark dive !!!

It is a shore dive in the channel just west of Santa-Lucia, and they take you to the site by bus. Upon arrival at the site, every diver gets his/her gear ready and relaxes for 10 - 15 minutes before the dive master briefs you on the dive.

The ¨ Shark Show ¨, as it is called, takes place at 25 meters down. Divers are directed to a location at the bottom, roughly 5 meters away and 1 meter above the location where the DM will hand feed a group of bullsharks, roughly 2,5 to 3,0 meters long ... very impressive !! Safety is enforced by 2 instructors/DMs each equipped with a speargun, just in case something goes wrong !

Bottom time for this dive is 35 minutes, and both times I did the dive, I was 1 minute away from DECO ... be sure you keep an eye on your computer, console and your buddy !!!!

The shark show is right next to the ¨Mortera¨ wreck. During ascent, time should allow you to visit the wreck.

When in Santa-Lucia for diving, this dive is not to be missed !!!!

During the time I was there, it was very windy, and this condition prevented us to dive the sites east of Santa-Lucia. Most of the dives were at the barrier reef where the current and surge is less. I would not consider these dives memorable, but they were above average dives. We saw barracudas, nurse sharks, lots of fish and beautiful corals, and 2 wrecks.

Here's a list of these sites :

- Poseidon 4 : 34,8 meters
- Cueva Chiquita : 30,1 meters
- Escalon : 25,0 meters
- Alta Gracia : 31,4 meters ( tugboat wreck )
- Black coral : 34,4 meters

Water temperature was constant @ 28oC.

Viz was roughly 25 meters average.

The whole staff at ¨Shark's Friends¨ is very qualified and eager to make your dives memorable. The center was recently remodelled and equipment is fairly new, including brand new tanks and compressors.

The only negative point I have is that they accept uncertified divers, or take divers beyond their capabilities on certain dives. But this is common to vacation/Caribbean diving !!!!

All in all, I highly recommend ¨ Shark's Friends ¨ dive center, and specially the bullshark dive.

Back
Top Bottom