Trip report San Sal June 13 thru 18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prop Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We flew down by small private plane. Stayed at Riding Rock resort and dove with Captain Bruce. Our friend who flew us down was there last year. After hearing about how great the diving was said to be, he booked us for mid-June. I normally dive the warm waters of Cozumel. While we where there was no Current which is something I'm not used to. The norm at San Sal is that there is a buoy at every dive site. Every dive we did was a wall dive with NO current. We would tie up to the buoy and hit the water. Under the buoy was sand at 30'-40', get your self ready and head down the wall. Captain Bruce said that the Bohemian Gov't gave permission to all DM's that they could use a sling to kill Lion Fish as the LF are an invasive species. Within the 1st 30 seconds of the very 1st dive I saw a reef Shark. 5 minutes later Captain Bruce was feeding the LF to the shark:
YouTube - ‪vf31joe's Channel‬‏
Now if the trip had ended at that point 5 minutes into that 1st dive I would have been happy. UNBELIEVABLE!!! I was really excited to even see a reef shark let alone be a few feet away from one eating a LF right in front of me. The 1st day was a total waste from a photography stand point. I was Amped beyond belief and not thinking strait. I was not doing anything right and was just in awe of watching the magnificent sharks. The second day I got one good pic:

The last three days were marred by camera issues. My rig is currently at Ikelite to see what the problem(s) are. If you ever want to see sharks, this is the place.
Riding Rock is nice as are the people that run it as well as the people on the island. We felt welcome everywhere we went. Food was good. BBQ night had some real good pork ribs that fell off the bone and had some great sauce. I also ate about half a chicken that night.:D Special requests for food can be granted within reason... Ask. They made me chicken/pork for dinner as my wife and I do not eat sea food.
For reservations I would contact Michelle the Riding Rock operating manager directly at 242 331-2631
Riding Rock has two dive boats but due to when we arrived the head DM had left for vacation and we dove with Captain Bruce. Bruce is a captain for RR normally but personally owns a 28" Panga that he can take small groups diving or fishing for the day.
Captain Bruce can be reached directly on his cell at 242 468-6875. If you would have any special requests just let him know. He is one of the happiest men I have ever met.
More later...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom