Trip Report: Raja Ampat on the WAOW Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished a Raja Ampat dive trip (February 16-28, 2014) and had a great time on the Seahorse. Not as fancy a boat as I am sure others are, but a great CD (Joey), great Indonesia dive guides, and superior crew. We were dogged with the same mediocre viz /rainy weather /windy conditions as others mention in this thread, but the Seahorse staff more than made up for that.

Very interestingly we were "caught" inside a huge baitball at Two-Tree Island and witnessed it getting hit by jacks and trevallies, as well as huge schools of mobila rays and batfish which were swimming about.

Did two dives at Manta Sandy and the mantas are still there, getting cleaned. Biggest change since I last dove there about 4 years ago was the huge number of liveaboards and resort divers to be found in some of the RA sites.

Happy diving everyone. Rick

Glad to here that you had a great time on the MSV Seahorse, Rick. That is the boat I am going on my RA trip in November. The weather probably will not be great but usually (they say) the visibility is good at that time of the year.

I have a feeling that a diver's expectations will have something to do with the enjoyment factor. Reading the Op's post, she did see a lot of varied fish but part of her grouse seems to be that it was the 'same' over and over again. To some extent that cannot be helped but that is where a good CD can choose sites to add some variety.

I have been to Sipadan and Fiji on liveaboards with high expectations but came away with the feeling that while the dives were very good, the location did not justify the hype - particularly Sipadan. By contrast, I went to Turks & Caicos knowing very little about it and was simply bowled over by the profusion of marine life that we saw. I have now trained myself to go with an open mind and did exactly that during my recent visit to the Cayman Islands and it worked.

Hi rickpreve,

thanks for sharing your feedback here with the rest of us. I'd be interested in knowing what you thought of R4 4 years ago compared to now. Other than the increase in liveaboards, did you find the quality of the marine life the same or has it started to suffer the consequences of too many divers, pollution and climate change? Would love to know your opinion on this.

Hintermann - curious to know why you felt Sipadan didn't live up to the hype? haven't been there yet but it is (was?) on my list!

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts.

Hintermann - curious to know why you felt Sipadan didn't live up to the hype? haven't been there yet but it is (was?) on my list!

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts.

Hi Steve

Don't get me wrong - Sipadan was very good but it was not in any way "extra special" likke some views make out. We went on the Celebes Explorer liveaboard and so had the opportunity of visiting varied sites. But the senior divemaster, for reasons best known to himslef, did ALL day dives in Sipadan and my hopes of a couple of muck dives in Mabul were dashed.

Secondly, the coral and fish life in Sipadan, while being very good, is not comparable to places like Maldives and even Turks & Caicos. You do see a lot of turtles and sharks but those can be seen in other places as well. But the diving conditions were good and so it is suitable for most divers. Turtle cave (additional charge) was a very special dive.

Thanks for your candid review Susan. I was in Raja at the similar time you were there - on the Indo Siren 2-12 Jan. Im not sure if you read my report but we did Misool followed by Dampier Strait. Ive had time for the dust to settle and though Raja wasnt my best trip ever, it was certainly very enjoyable - the diving was good to very good in relation to other places that Ive been to and thats very many all around the asia pacific and indonesia. What I liked was the macro diversity amongst the reef slopes. I could have just had my 60mm on the whole trip...apart from manta sandy of course. We had some average conditions with cloud/rain in the first leg which probably didnt help the great soft corals around misool. (yes the viz was down as well) However we had better conditions up north in Dampier St with some awesome current diving fish shows - and SUN! But the trip was more than just the diving. I was fortunate to have an overall great group of divers on board the boat (luck of the draw eh?). And that was in part aided by very experienced cruise director, and great crew on board to look after us very well. And that is what made the trip 'whole'. Despite at times the diving wasnt to what we expected based on rave reviews, the sum of all of this plus the fantastic topside made it worthwile.

Just curious, what were your best dive trips if not Raja Ampat, and why? Thanks!

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2015 at 03:44 PM ----------

My husband and I were on the WAOW boat in Raja Ampat from January 5-16, 2013. This was our eighth liveaboard trip; our third in Indonesia. Unfortunately, I have to say this was not our favorite spot.

We had heard that Raja Ampat has great marine life diversity. I’m sure it must, but we didn’t see it. Pretty corals and pretty reef fish, but just the same ones over and over again. We saw few – in many cases none – of many of the critters we typically do in Asia: frogfish, leaf scorpionfish, blue ribbon eels, ghost pipefish, cuttlefish, turtles, blue spotted rays, etc, etc. Even scorpionfish, lionfish, and moray eels were in surprisingly short supply. We had expected to see all the usual cast of characters plus more, and in this regard we were quite disappointed.

What we did get: 1-2 manta rays on four of the dives, wobbegong sharks on a handful of dives, some reef sharks, a few nice bumphead parrotfish (but no large schools like in Sipadan), and some modest schools of barracuda, jacks, snapper, sweetlips, etc. Some of the largest puffers we've ever seen. Big schools of small reef fish like silversides and juvenile catfish. And, as I said, plenty of pretty corals and reef fish, including anemonefish, butterflyfish, angelfish, parrotfish, Napoleon wrasse, titan triggerfish, clown triggerfish, etc, etc.

The water was warm but visibility was poor – averaged ~50 feet, sometimes worse, rarely better. And I didn’t realize how much swimming into current would be required. I’ve done dives like in Rangiroa where you shoot through the pass. And like in Galapagos where you drop down and then hook/hold onto the rocks and look out into the blue. I’ve done drift dives in many places. This was different – we often had to swim against a significant current for much of the dive.

On the first dive in which we faced a strong current, our group was unable to make it across a channel and had to turn back. When the cruise director heard about this after, he laughed at us and said the current was nothing. My husband is a very strong swimmer and he said it was indeed a strong current, suggesting that maybe the conditions had changed by the time we made it to the channel. The CD just laughed DH off, basically saying we were lame. Later that day, we ended up on a dive in which 4 of the 6 divers aborted almost immediately. Only my husband and I made it through, and we can’t say it was a good dive. It was a slog through the current in fairly murky water and we didn't see anything of note. Dives like this continued for the remainder of the trip.

Since many of the dives were very similar, there is absolutely no reason for this to have been an 11 night/10 dive day trip. The geographic area covered was not that large and we easily could have cut out several of the least impressive/most repetitive dives. A 7 night/6 dive day trip would have made much more sense.

As for the boat, it is new and pretty nice. We had one of the two superior cabins; it was large, on the main level, with lots of windows and a semi-private sundeck. There is also an even larger master cabin on the upper level, and then 6 deluxe cabins below (with portholes rather than windows). There is a common sundeck, an indoor lounge/dining room/bar, and an outdoor dining area that merges into the dive shop. There is a leak problem in the indoor lounge right now – the ceiling is lined with diapers and masking tape – but they plan to fix this in May when the boat goes in for maintenance.

There is wifi on the boat and it is fairly reliable in the lounge. We had trouble with the connection in our room, but we were just pleased to have internet access at all! There is also a system on the TV in each cabin that connects to a database of movies. Not all of the newest releases, but enough of a selection to keep you entertained. A lot of them seem to be bootleg copies, though, so expect warnings flashing on the screen, or really bad subtitles, or no subtitles at all, etc.

Diving was done from small ‘chase boats’ and the crew set up your BC and put your fins and camera on board for you. Divers suited up on the deck (at the outdoor dining area) and came down to the boat with their mask and anything else not attached to their BC – wrist computer, etc. Entry is backward roll. There were no dive time limits. Some dives were close enough to the ship that the boat went back and forth as divers came up, but more often the first ones to come up had to wait until the last ones came up. The chase boats have no shade.

Lunch and dinner are served as sit-down meals rather than buffets. Lunch is a salad, entree, and fruit. Dinner is soup, entree, and dessert. We’ve had worse food on a liveaboard and we’ve had better. I’d rank the food on WAOW as right in the middle of the 8 boats we’ve been on. A birthday and a wedding anniversary were celebrated on board with special dessert, candles, singing, and lots of kisses of congratulations from the crew. Very sweet and heartfelt.

Sadly the overall vibe on this boat was not the best. We had 5 couples and one couple was not very nice…with lots of showboating. And the cruise director, while generally a likeable guy, was not particularly open to feedback and said/did a few things about/to other guests that were not entirely professional. In the end we were more than ready to depart, to chalk this one up as an "interesting experience", and to start looking forward to our next dive trip.

Since you did not enjoy Raja Ampat I'm curious to know what your favorite trips were and why? I'm in the process of planning our first big trip/liveaboard but not sure where to go and can't afford to get it wrong :)

Quimjim, although you did not ask me the question, I may have an answer of sorts. I went to Raja Ampat in November 2014 on board the MSY Seahorse and in contrast to some other rpeorts here, found the staff and boat very good in all respects. Oddly, the only one I found rather mediocre was the guide Daniel, who did not appear to be as well informed about the local reefs as the 3 local guides all of whom were excellent.

But the actual dives in RA, while being very good for the most part, fell slightly short of my expectations which in turn were spurred on by the hype about the place. I was certainly not disappointed but felt that it my expectations were not fulfilled as much as I had hoped. I had similar experiences with Sipadan and Fiji.

On the other hand, the liveaboard trips to Komodo and Turks & Caicos went way above my expectations and along with Maldives I consider those 3 destinations as the top ones that I have been.

Yet another example, although second hand in this case, is Kimbe Bay of PNG. A Canadian couple, very good friends of us whose opinions I respect a lot, went on the MV Febrina ona 10 day liveaboard cruise. They rathed the coral and critters among the best that they had seen anywhere in the world but felt that thr overall trip ranked among their worst experiences because of the abrasive attitude of the captain and crew.

What I am saying is that it all boils down to what you expect to see and experience with any dive destination.

Secondly, the coral and fish life in Sipadan, while being very good, is not comparable to places like Maldives and even Turks & Caicos.
In a way you are right... but the other way around :D...
Coral and fishlife is much more varied in Sipadan than in the Maldives and especially in the Turks & Caycos. (all places I dived too). This is simple and factual, coral triangle is home to the utmost underwater diversity, sorry but you can't go against figures.
Not sure that a 20ish dives statement -taken as in general about a place- makes too much sense.

It would be just a proof that sometimes diving can go wrong (and that staying on a liveaboard in Sipadan is not that a good bet, MV.Celebes Explorers does almost all its dives on Sipadan nothing new about that, this is why it is IMO better staying on Mabul where you alternate macro and blue water).

The thing is that often divers cannot admit it was a wrong choice or didn't have luck...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom