Trip Report: Raja Ampat on the WAOW Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversusan

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I were on the WAOW boat in Raja Ampat from January 5-16, 2013. This was our eighth liveaboard trip; our third in Indonesia. Unfortunately, I have to say this was not our favorite spot.

We had heard that Raja Ampat has great marine life diversity. I’m sure it must, but we didn’t see it. Pretty corals and pretty reef fish, but just the same ones over and over again. We saw few – in many cases none – of many of the critters we typically do in Asia: frogfish, leaf scorpionfish, blue ribbon eels, ghost pipefish, cuttlefish, turtles, blue spotted rays, etc, etc. Even scorpionfish, lionfish, and moray eels were in surprisingly short supply. We had expected to see all the usual cast of characters plus more, and in this regard we were quite disappointed.

What we did get: 1-2 manta rays on four of the dives, wobbegong sharks on a handful of dives, some reef sharks, a few nice bumphead parrotfish (but no large schools like in Sipadan), and some modest schools of barracuda, jacks, snapper, sweetlips, etc. Some of the largest puffers we've ever seen. Big schools of small reef fish like silversides and juvenile catfish. And, as I said, plenty of pretty corals and reef fish, including anemonefish, butterflyfish, angelfish, parrotfish, Napoleon wrasse, titan triggerfish, clown triggerfish, etc, etc.

The water was warm but visibility was poor – averaged ~50 feet, sometimes worse, rarely better. And I didn’t realize how much swimming into current would be required. I’ve done dives like in Rangiroa where you shoot through the pass. And like in Galapagos where you drop down and then hook/hold onto the rocks and look out into the blue. I’ve done drift dives in many places. This was different – we often had to swim against a significant current for much of the dive.

On the first dive in which we faced a strong current, our group was unable to make it across a channel and had to turn back. When the cruise director heard about this after, he laughed at us and said the current was nothing. My husband is a very strong swimmer and he said it was indeed a strong current, suggesting that maybe the conditions had changed by the time we made it to the channel. The CD just laughed DH off, basically saying we were lame. Later that day, we ended up on a dive in which 4 of the 6 divers aborted almost immediately. Only my husband and I made it through, and we can’t say it was a good dive. It was a slog through the current in fairly murky water and we didn't see anything of note. Dives like this continued for the remainder of the trip.

Since many of the dives were very similar, there is absolutely no reason for this to have been an 11 night/10 dive day trip. The geographic area covered was not that large and we easily could have cut out several of the least impressive/most repetitive dives. A 7 night/6 dive day trip would have made much more sense.

As for the boat, it is new and pretty nice. We had one of the two superior cabins; it was large, on the main level, with lots of windows and a semi-private sundeck. There is also an even larger master cabin on the upper level, and then 6 deluxe cabins below (with portholes rather than windows). There is a common sundeck, an indoor lounge/dining room/bar, and an outdoor dining area that merges into the dive shop. There is a leak problem in the indoor lounge right now – the ceiling is lined with diapers and masking tape – but they plan to fix this in May when the boat goes in for maintenance.

There is wifi on the boat and it is fairly reliable in the lounge. We had trouble with the connection in our room, but we were just pleased to have internet access at all! There is also a system on the TV in each cabin that connects to a database of movies. Not all of the newest releases, but enough of a selection to keep you entertained. A lot of them seem to be bootleg copies, though, so expect warnings flashing on the screen, or really bad subtitles, or no subtitles at all, etc.

Diving was done from small ‘chase boats’ and the crew set up your BC and put your fins and camera on board for you. Divers suited up on the deck (at the outdoor dining area) and came down to the boat with their mask and anything else not attached to their BC – wrist computer, etc. Entry is backward roll. There were no dive time limits. Some dives were close enough to the ship that the boat went back and forth as divers came up, but more often the first ones to come up had to wait until the last ones came up. The chase boats have no shade.

Lunch and dinner are served as sit-down meals rather than buffets. Lunch is a salad, entree, and fruit. Dinner is soup, entree, and dessert. We’ve had worse food on a liveaboard and we’ve had better. I’d rank the food on WAOW as right in the middle of the 8 boats we’ve been on. A birthday and a wedding anniversary were celebrated on board with special dessert, candles, singing, and lots of kisses of congratulations from the crew. Very sweet and heartfelt.

Sadly the overall vibe on this boat was not the best. We had 5 couples and one couple was not very nice…with lots of showboating. And the cruise director, while generally a likeable guy, was not particularly open to feedback and said/did a few things about/to other guests that were not entirely professional. In the end we were more than ready to depart, to chalk this one up as an "interesting experience", and to start looking forward to our next dive trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a shame about your trip. We too have had some poor trips into RA. They were both on a boat that did not know the area and dive sites( I will leave this boat unnamed). We also had a STELLAR trip to RA aboard the Dewi Nusantara! They have been diving RA for quite some time and know the area like the back of their hand. All feedback from the guests is taken very seriously and your current comments would have been handled in a much more professional manner by Wendy the cruise director of the Dewi. When our 11 night trip was over on the Dewi we wished it could have been longer. We had very diverse dives and saw everything from A to Z including huge schools of fish all over!
Maybe you can try again aboard the Dewi! I am sure your trip would have been much better. On our last trip on her everyone except 2 people out of the full boat were repeat customers . For most of us it was our third time on her. Check it out!

Wow, that's disappointing--to come all that way for such a mediocre trip.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I don't know what WAOW is?

Susan thanks very much for this candid report on a new liveaboard. Yours is the first thorough report on Waow I have seen.

I too had a less than stellar experience on a Raja liveaboard back in 08 - in our case due entirely to the experienced cruise directors (who are now running their own trip/UW photography company). They refused to visit any manta sites, saying those were Kri Eco resort's sites (nonsense). Although we were on an extended trip they also refused to visit Misool, which was on their online itinerary and which their competitors dove that week. We had 13 days (!) of nearly identical sites - gradually sloping bottoms with bommies. Although the majority of the guests were experienced divers who were fine with current, everything was catered to the two divers who did not like current, thus sites apparently known for fish life were extremely quiet. When they led dives, the cruise directors dove without paying attention to anyone else, as if they were customers. The Indonesian guides and crew were wonderful and worked very hard, but they could not make up for the poor site choices and lack of effort of the cruise directors.

Raja seems to be an area that is easy to get wrong. I have made multiple trips to other parts of Indonesia before considering a return trip. Although the vis and diversity of topography are generally regarded as less than e.g. Komodo, still there are some boats/crews that seem to dive it well, and others that really don't. IMO fancy rooms and amenities are nothing if you can't do the diving well.

Sorrows - WAOW is the name of a liveaboard boat. It started operating in Komodo last summer and is doing its first season in Raja Ampat.

We booked the trip relatively last minute and, like cephalopod2, had only a couple of options.

We dove with a new boat in the Galapagos about 6 months ago and that was fine...the cruise director/dive guide was a Galapagos native who had worked in the industry there for ~20 years. He knew the area, the sites, and the marine life - it was a great trip.

The cruise director of WAOW also has ~20 years of experience but, until joining WAOW last year, all of it was in Thailand. The two dive guides were Indonesian, but ours was from Manado and I'm not sure how recently he'd moved to Raja Ampat, how well he knew the sites.

So I'd say the bigger concern is not how new a boat is but who they've hired to run it - experienced locals or imports.

Raja Ampat is very remote and there are still many other places in the world to dive, so that was probably it for us. We're still interested in giving the other half of the island (PNG) a try, though. :)

Moral of the story seems to be: Dive with operators that have spent many years in RA.

Unfortunately that's still no guarantee. The liveaboard of my 08 trip had been diving Raja for a bunch of years, as had the cruise directors. Poor cruise directors = bad site choices = subpar trip. As I was leaving Sorong I met another diver who had dove another high profile liveaboard the same week I was there. Though her boat had likewise been diving Raja for years, and had received very good reviews, the cruise director on her trip was brand new. The CD did not know the sites at all and dove far off the reef under the guise of 'appreciating the landscape'. There was a scathing review published elsewhere by another diver from that trip. Not just the dive op but the crew matters, and there's often no way to find out whether you're going to be on a liveaboard with a brand new cruise director, the substitute captain's substitute, a crew that does not get along, cruise directors who are about to quit/be fired/just don't care etc.

Galapagos is an interesting comparison. In Galapagos, most of the cruise directors and DMs are freelancing, so the best boats can usually pull good cruise directors and DMs (or at least they are known entities). Because very few people are permitted to cruise direct and DM there (especially if you want someone with Assistant Instructor or higher certifications), you don't have people completely new to the area leading dives. But there are definitely poor dive guides and cruise directors and you frequently won't know who will be leading your trip until you arrive on island. Case in point - two Aggressors in peak whaleshark season diving the same itinerary the same week (one large dive shop charter held 1.5 boats' worth of space, so communication between the boats occurred daily). One boat had 19+ whaleshark sightings. The other had 3. Same dive site, same days, same extremely experienced, well regarded operator. The difference was the cruise director/dive guides (but all of them were very experienced). I was lucky to be on the 19+ boat that time.

Diving with very experienced operations which also have a long history of excellent reviews makes it more likely management will be on top of staffing issues. But there are no guarantees.

Last edited:
Susan, Sorry to read about your disappointing trip - Unfortunately it does happen, usually because of unusual weather or lack of experience with the area from the dive crew.

Which areas did you visit ? Did you go south towards Misool, or North to Wayag ?

R4 is a great destination, you should give it an other chance some day.

Wow - my 'bad' raja experience is suddenly a lot better when reading the above experiences. When we did actually get in the water and hit the dive site (inexperienced guides who would even tank bang for a lion fish), most dives were pretty incredible. I was lucky with viz, and we also had the most varied topography i've had on a trip - in fact in diving in general. But mine was a north focused trip, all the way up to Wayag. I won't go into all the other things that did go wrong, but the diving that worked was great for the most part.

Sorry to hear that others have had mixed experiences too.

The cruise director of WAOW also has ~20 years of experience but, until joining WAOW last year, all of it was in Thailand.

Someone emailed me a LinkedIn link for this cruise director - according to that public page, he worked on a Komodo liveaboard for 5 months in 09, and another liveaboard that dove Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia for 3.5 years (not sure what percent of that was in Indo though). Sounds like he is very new to R4.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom