TRIP REPORT Provo/ Turks Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THX1138

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Back from great trip to Provo. Dove exclusively with Fifi & Pucci/ Caicos Adventures. (Thanks also to Ollie, Andy, Richard, Acea and Lil) 1st Day we did French Cay with heavy current on first dive and bad vis, so second dive was drift dive along wall, made for easy and wonderful dive. Great to dive just off a 6,000 foot drop and see huge reef sharks below. 2nd Day was Tons of Songe site, good place, and Melissa's Reef, wall dive. Many Eagle Rays and Reef Sharks. 3rd Day dove with Andy and was at a Fifi "secret place", called West 1. Many more Reef Sharks and Eagle Rays, and The Scoop, with many Reef sharks, nurse shark, baracuda and sea turtle, along with rare sea life. On 4th day we did 3 Tank Dive in West Caicos, The Anchor swim thru, Driveway, and Gully). All great places. Spouse found a Flying Garnard, and Andy pointed out many rare forms of sea life, his specialty. Lots of Gouper, lobster, a huge reef crab, reef shark and a sea turtle. Got to see a reef shark at about a 20 feet distance. Never crowded and great experience. Fifi hopes to have other boat back in November.

I think that Flying Gunard has been hanging out there for years! Where did you stay?

Tim Ingersoll:
I think that Flying Gunard has been hanging out there for years! Where did you stay?

Stayed at The Sands so we could also enjoy Grace Beach, off season and great rates, but most of the good restaurants closing for off season.

Thanks for the report. will be there and diving with them in Dec. i can't wait.

We are going in Oct and plan on diving with Caicos. Can you tell me what boats he is using and which boat is being repaired? How many people did you have on a boat? I know it's slow season,so just curious if many divers around. Would you use CA again? Also how many restaurants were closed down?

traciedee:
We are going in Oct and plan on diving with Caicos. Can you tell me what boats he is using and which boat is being repaired? How many people did you have on a boat? I know it's slow season,so just curious if many divers around. Would you use CA again? Also how many restaurants were closed down?

Most of the restaurants, example Aqua, Gecko, Coyaba, Anacaona, and Magnolia close during September and part of October, I have been told. Mango Reef, Tiki Hut, Shark Bite, Bella Luna and Grace's Cottage, are scheduled to be open, from what I understand. If you want a great conch meal, with local flare, check out the ********'s conch shack on Blue Hills road, a real island location.

Fifi's main boat, I was told, was run on a reef by an inexperienced captain and is in for repair. He currently has the Caicos Cat, which handles up to about 26 (We dove with 16 to 10), with a smaller boat for night dives. The two tank dive generally runs from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, depending on how much Fifi swims, and includes a sandwich for lunch. Bring chips! The ride to the dive sites takes a while, but is enjoyable.

I will dive with his group any time. John

THX1138:
Most of the restaurants, example Aqua, Gecko, Coyaba, Anacaona, and Magnolia close during September and part of October, I have been told. Mango Reef, Tiki Hut, Shark Bite, Bella Luna and Grace's Cottage, are scheduled to be open, from what I understand. If you want a great conch meal, with local flare, check out the ********'s conch shack on Blue Hills road, a real island location.

Fifi's main boat, I was told, was run on a reef by an inexperienced captain and is in for repair. He currently has the Caicos Cat, which handles up to about 26 (We dove with 16 to 10), with a smaller boat for night dives. The two tank dive generally runs from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, depending on how much Fifi swims, and includes a sandwich for lunch. Bring chips! The ride to the dive sites takes a while, but is enjoyable.

I will dive with his group any time. John

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. Wonder how visability is now that Rita has gone through?

He runs an excellent operation. We dive with Caicos Adventure 4 or 5 trips a year and have never been disappointed. Vis is usually around 100'+ feet and even poor vis by their standards is usually 50'+. Water temp. runs from 78-79 in the winter to 83-84 in the summer.
You can always find a good restaurant to eat at even in the off season. I will be going the last 2 weeks of Oct. and will be going with Caicos Adventures as usual mainly because of the greaty sites they dive, fantastic staff, good boat and don't forget those IGA subs for lunch, no time limits and no restrictions, and especially no cattle boat mentality.

allistoy:
He runs an excellent operation. We dive with Caicos Adventure 4 or 5 trips a year and have never been disappointed. Vis is usually around 100'+ feet and even poor vis by their standards is usually 50'+. Water temp. runs from 78-79 in the winter to 83-84 in the summer.
You can always find a good restaurant to eat at even in the off season. I will be going the last 2 weeks of Oct. and will be going with Caicos Adventures as usual mainly because of the greaty sites they dive, fantastic staff, good boat and don't forget those IGA subs for lunch, no time limits and no restrictions, and especially no cattle boat mentality.

We may just see you on the dive boat! Can't wait. How deep are the dives usually with Caicos? A lot of times we just like to plod along at our own pace and not go as deep as a lot of divers like to go. I would rather stay under longer than go deeper!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom