Trip Report Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, something has happened to my camera light battery and I didn’t bring a backup, so no more underwater photos coming from me on this trip it appears.

Sorry to hear about the battery. By any chance did you bring a torch? If so, you could try using that to light your photographs. There are actually folks who light solely by torch long-term, for dramatic effect. Sometimes they even win contests.

Does the dive op. have any underwater camera systems for rent? Does anyone else conveniently accessible?

No camera shop at El Galleon but I saw some decent sized dive supply stores in Sabang town. However they didn't have much camera equipment visible. Might be options from Manila, or one could have something couriered internationally but it sounds like Trailboss is near the end of his trip in any case.

How much more would it have cost you to go all inclusive vs the way that you have chosen?
Just got this info back from Blue Water Dive Travel: would have been an additional $42.50 a day per person to add the lunch and dinner for a complete 3 meal all inclusive, so a total difference of $935 for this 11 day trip. We are getting by a la carte for much less money. We are averaging $7.50 each per meal or $15 per day total. I'd definitely stick with that rote now that I know the difference. I think we have a good sample size also. We have had 7 and 1/2 full days of lunch and dinners here.

Sorry to hear about the battery. By any chance did you bring a torch? If so, you could try using that to light your photographs. There are actually folks who light solely by torch long-term, for dramatic effect. Sometimes they even win contests.
Unfortunately, my torch is a spot light for looking deep into holes, crevices and overhangs. It completely distorts and white's out any photos.

No camera shop at El Galleon but I saw some decent sized dive supply stores in Sabang town. However they didn't have much camera equipment visible. Might be options from Manila, or one could have something couriered internationally but it sounds like Trailboss is near the end of his trip in any case.
This is accurate. El Galleon has a nice Camera Room for cleaning, drying and charging equipment and they have a nice small dive shop for most scuba accessories, but no retail camera shop. After much investigation, there really isn't any decent retail camera shop here anywhere. One tiny store selling Go Pro's. Lots of retail for other dive equipment though.

Just got this info back from Blue Water Dive Travel: would have been an additional $42.50 a day per person to add the lunch and dinner for a complete 3 meal all inclusive, so a total difference of $935 for this 11 day trip. We are getting by a la carte for much less money. We are averaging $7.50 each per meal or $15 per day total. I'd definitely stick with that rote now that I know the difference. I think we have a good sample size also. We have had 7 and 1/2 full days of lunch and dinners here.

Really amazing!! Are you paying as you go? If not, have you checked your bill lately?

That sounds about right although you can spend a bit more, depending on where you eat. I'd say the AI price probably includes a lot more food/courses with each meal.

I rarely eat even close to all that is offered so this seems awesome to me.

A GoPro would be a cheap secondary backup....imho.

Really enjoying your report. Thanks for taking the time keeping us less fortunate informed....although I did just wreck my body skiing Colorado last week :confused:....skiing....scuba....there really is no thought if I had to do only one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom