Trip report: Peace boat, Anacapa & Santa Cruz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

=C=

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The third planet (a smaller one but a nice blue hu
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Today was an awesome day of diving on Anacapa and Santa Cruz islands. I went out with the Peace Dive Boat for a four tank dive and met some great people and crew.

We started the day at Scorpion Anchorage on Santa Cruz @ 53 ft for 42 minutes in about 10ft of visibility. There was not Kelp at this site and no fish which was disappointing. There were however all kinds of starfish, fuzzy, blue, red, yellow, long limbs short limbs... Octopus garden maybe

Next we moved to Anacapa to dive Goldfish Bowl. Like Scorpion this is at the base of a cliff and also around sixty feet. Here there were more fish and an area I could only describe as a mussels worst nightmare. This is an area of maybe 120 sqft covered inches deep in empty blue shells. We had a Sea lion come down to play with us near the end of the dive which was a fun end of the dive to 54ft for 43 min. 

The last dive spot of the day was Island Reef on the back of Anacapa. Visibility there was great, more than double the previous two spots. Sweet pinnacle dive with tons of life, sea lions, urchins, mollusks, and topped off by a four foot spotted shark. Because this is a pinnacle we dove the deep circuit first 52 ft for 47 min followed by a shallow circuit at 44ft for 41 min. 

Pretty happy with the Peace. Good food, good fills, and nice hot tub.

Overall a very nice day of diving.  

Thanks for the report. I've only been on the Peace once to Santa Barbara Island, and it is indeed a nice vessel, good food, fast fills. I am going to try to take some Thursdays off and get up that way this spring/summer. Do they let you sleep onboard the night before?

From the pictures on franks maps Im thinking it was a leopard shark ( have only seen these before diving Santa Barbara Harbor wall). I don't know which of them is more likely to be curled up and resting on the bottom near Anacapa.

I have some pictures as well to add...
The boat
pboat_main.jpg

Casting off

Underway

Finally the hot tub

And I don't think I mentioned the food. Awesome steak tacos for lunch and brownies at the end of the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom