Trip Report - Part 2 Reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

verona

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Here is trip report 2 of my recent trip to Mexico. This one describes my reef diving experiences.

I only managed three reef dives because I wanted to make sure I dived some cenotes and we also wanted to do some side trips. We did side trips to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, Rio Lagortas, Playa, Puerto Morelos and Atkun Chen. Overall there is a great variety of things to do and see in the Riviera Maya and something for everyone, divers and non-divers alike. We also had some time just to chill.

Anyway, back to the dives. First dive was with Dive Puerto Morelos which was meant to be a 2 tank dive but which turned out to be a one tank dive. We were meant to do a deep wreck dive first but the boat captain couldn’t find the marker buoy for the site. We spent too long sailing along looking for it and eventually the DM called it and we headed for a shallow reef just off Puerto Morelos.

This first dive was unexceptional. A drift dive in around 45 feet. The usual reef suspects. I saw a nice green moray which was a first for me and it was a nice easy dive. Temp was 27 centigrade, dive time 41 minutes

Dive 2 was the reef off Punta Maroma (outside barrier reef) which was much more lively. There were lots of large shoals of grunts and jacks, some barracuda, gorgeous coral formations of many different types and lots of great macro stuff that I don’t know that name of. Also saw my first turtle, even if it was from the boat and it was on the surface. Temp was 27 centigrade, dive time 55 minutes, depth 50 feet.

Dive 3 was a night dive on the Punta Maroma reef just inside the barrier (this was because of the current). So it was a really shallow dive but there were lots and lots of critters. Big lobsters, lots of sleeping parrot, and other, fish, little shrimps, flounders. We went in just on sun down and drifted along as it got darker and then black. Lovely. Temp was 24 centigrade, dive time 44 minutes, depth 15 feet.

I also went on a snorkel trip on my last day on the Maroma Reef. It was bursting with life under and on the surface. On the surface because there were thousands of tiny jellyfish floating around in clumps. The guide assured us they didn’t sting but I felt a few pricks on my upper lip when I didn’t manage to swim under them. Nothing too bad, however. The conditions were a bit choppy and there was a current, which was fine by me but other members of the party struggled a bit. In fact, half of them shouldn’t have been anywhere near water in my view because they clearly weren’t comfortable. You should have seen the bicycle kicking that was going on and the coral that was getting booted by fins – it was really appalling. People like that should stay on the beach to preserve the environment. :bash:

Anyhow, I wished I had had more time to do more reef diving but I figured the cenotes were more unique. But I really enjoyed what I did do and would recommend it as nice easy shallow diving with lots of marine life. There are more challenging sites than the ones I did and also the option of going to Cozumel. I didn’t this time but I will definitely be back one day.

A few pics are attached and more are in the gallery.

Verona,

I was looking for your report on the Rivera Maya Reefs. Doesn't sound like the reefs were as exciting as the Cenotes. Too bad you did not get to go to Xcaret1_Barracuda, Xcaret55 or The Garden. Those sites have some very interesting formations, with huge Turtles, schools of Tarpon and Barracuda.

They are all drift dives with some very interesting views also. These sites are all south of PDC but not far from the areas you discribed.

While the site don't compete with the Cozumel sites, there are some very good dives on the Rivera side and the cenotes are a plus. Glad to here you had a good time and it will only get better the next time.

Dive Smart: Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom