Trip Report Palau 1-20-06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnhill

Contributor
Reaction score
Trip Report Palau 1-20-06

Palau Pacific Resort and NECO Marine

I used Trip-N-Tour for this trip. The trip was originally scheduled for October, but I had to change due to hurricane Rita. Trip-N-Tour was great to work with.

Palau Pacific Resort was a beautiful facility with great guest service. It was pricy, but I got my money’s worth. The room was larger than expected and opened out for an ocean view. There is a safe in the room that is free of charge. One morning, I left for diving and closed but did not lock the safe. When I came back in there was a note that stated the security chief and the housekeeping chief had gone through the rooms and had noticed the safe unlocked. They locked it and requested that I call when I got back in the room. They promptly came and unlocked it for me and waited to verify that all contents were there. The food was good. There was a buffet, but I felt that it was too expensive. I could order off the menu for less than the buffet price and have more than enough to eat. There was a dive operation on site called Splash, but it was for Japanese. I think it is a sister operation to NECO.

NECO was a very service oriented dive operation. Chris was the divemaster and was quite good. It was also good that the other divers during the week were fun to be with. On another boat with NECO was a large group from Maui Dreams dive shop – those were fun folks to be with after diving. The diving was just OK the first two days. Rain and poor visibility made me wonder why I came all the way to Palau for diving. But on day three when the sun was shining and we went to Blue Corner it was all worth it. I am used to diving in Cozumel where I see the occasional shark and turtle. There were both in large quantities on most every dive in Palau. On the next to last day we went to German Channel to see the mantas and they were there. So on the last day we went back and had another dive with them as well. My favorite dive sites were New Drop Off, Blue Corner, and German Channel. I was worried because the boat rides were supposed to be long, however, it was not bad at all. The NECO boats were fast and smooth, and I got to have the rest of the day at the PPR. I would not hesitate to be land based in Palau again.

I was diving with NECO for 6 days. If I go again, I will stay longer than a week on Palau or have an add-on trip to Truk , Yap, or Hawaii if possible. When I was adjusted to the time zone, it was time to go home.

I leave Sunday. Can't wait!

I did not do any shore diving. We did three tanks a day and I was pretty tired. I did snorkle at PPR and was amazed at all that was there.

Tim - I saw your boat there - it looked nice

dnhill

Was the rain aberrational or should I expect a couple of wet days?

Tim - From my understanding the "dry season" means less rain. It rained more than half of the days I was there. A few of the days it rained only at night. I would go prepared for rain. The water temp was usually 82-85 degrees.

dnhill

Tim Ingersoll:
Was the rain aberrational or should I expect a couple of wet days?

We spent a week in Yap and a week in Palau Oct-Nov and it only rained one day.
Did you see the slide show I did
http://www.photodex.com/
When it opens click on online sharing. On the net page in the member name box put in cdiver2. Next page click on the picture of the aeroplane.

I leave tomorrow and am pretty excited. I packed a windbreaker and rain pants to be prepared.

The slideshow was great. I miss the Pacific, lived in Palau for a year in 2000-2001.

Always bring a raincoat as it sprinkles about every day. February should be the dryest time of year, but since you are only 4 degrees from the equator, it is bound to rain.

I am headed back from the 24th of March to the 4th of April. I have a group of 8 diving with Keith Santillano http://www,palaudive.com.

Aside from the beach at PPR, or the end of Malakal at a place called Riptide, there is not really any shore diving. If you are damned adventurous you can shore dive under the K-B bridge, just make sure it is an incoming tide.

kevink:
The slideshow was great. I miss the Pacific, lived in Palau for a year in 2000-2001.

Always bring a raincoat as it sprinkles about every day. February should be the dryest time of year, but since you are only 4 degrees from the equator, it is bound to rain.

I am headed back from the 24th of March to the 4th of April. I have a group of 8 diving with Keith Santillano http://www,palaudive.com.

Aside from the beach at PPR, or the end of Malakal at a place called Riptide, there is not really any shore diving. If you are damned adventurous you can shore dive under the K-B bridge, just make sure it is an incoming tide.

My first attempt at a slide show, I'm all enthused :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom