Trip Report : Ovalau/Wakaya of Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kkfok

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Arrived Nadi on 17 Oct., overnight in Raffles Gateway and headed to Levuka via Suva on Pacific Sun the next day. Arrived Levuka at around 12 pm. The Bureta airstrip is the smallest "airport" I have ever seen. We were picked up and transferred to Levuka Homestay and we stayed 5 nights there. It is a decent and clean accommodation with A/C and warm water shower owned by an Australian couple.

We started diving the next day with the only dive centre in town - Ovalau Watersports. We went to Wakaya Island, which is famous for Hammerhead and Manta and it didn't disappoint us. We saw 1 scalloped hammerhead and 2 manta rays , soft and hard corals are also good here.
The next 3 days I dove around Levuka. Levuka Passage is less than 5 minutes of boat ride from the town and it is good when there is current. There were many big stuff like reef sharks/barracuda/napoleon wrasse/groupers. I also did one dive in "Pipeline", which is the place where the tuna cannery factory disposes the waste. It was a really deep dive but it well worth the effort.
There was a big cloud of batfish, a school of 6-7 eagle rays and many giant groupers. It was probably one of my best dives. There is also some muck diving in Levuka Wharf. I found a very cute warty frogfish here.

Levuka is a small town with very friendly people and very good diving. I will go back next year to try my luck on sighting of pilot and humpback whales.

My video of the trip here :
YouTube - Diving in Fiji - Levuka & Wakaya 2009

Last edited:
Thanks for the report, it is a part of Fiji I have been thinking of visiting. Enjoyed the video too and love the Frogfish!

Thanks for the report, it is a part of Fiji I have been thinking of visiting. Enjoyed the video too and love the Frogfish!
Thanks, the diving around Ovalau and Wakaya is in fact one of the best in Fiji. I went diving in Pacific Harbour after I left Levuka and I found the diving was much better in Levuka. It is not a prime place for divers just because there is no beach and a decent resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom