Trip Report offshore Jacksonville FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaxscubadiver

Registered
Reaction score
We went diving offshore Jacksonville Fl today 7/16. We made 3 dives. The 1st dive was on an old ferry in 115'of water. The surface temp was 79 degrees on our descent we hit a thermocline at 40' temp dropped to 69 degrees wasn't that uncomfortable, the vis was 60' plus. This site was loaded with fish, we saw schools of grunts, vermillion snappers, a door mat size sheephead, queen angel fish and a LION FISH. We had about 1 1/2 hour surface interval enjoyed a sandwich and watched a large turtle at the surface. This location was so enjoyable we made our second dive there and still never saw the whole reef, this is a very large old ferry boat. Finished our second dive and changed out our gear and headed in a little to dive a set of culverts, they were in 90' of water vis was 30-40' water temps the same79 at the surface and 69 at the bottom. This site was covered up with huge balls of bait fish and there were several schools of amber jacks swarming the area. We saw several queen angel fish, 2 lion fish, a small french angel fish and as usual several smiling barracudas (they are one of the few fish that show there teeth when they smile). Jacksonville offers some great diving, there are more than 100 reefs offshore here.

Dang, guess I'll have to head over there from Tally. 2 hour drive to either there or PC. Whats a good dive boat, and price?

There are a couple of charter boats in town, if interested I can get there phone numbers. I have my own boat that we go out on. I am always open to take anyone offshore that would like a new experience. We are able to go out further and to a better selection of dive sites. I like going out during the week (less crowds), but can go on weekends. We have some great spearfishing off Jacksonville also. Take a look at some of the spearfishing photos on our website www.diverselitetraining.com Have a great day.

Thanks for the info.

As newly certified Jacksonville divers (since last week) my dive buddy and I have now been talking of going off shore on his boat. We did our OW at Blue Grotto and have not been off shore yet.

I told him think we need to get on a dive boat first and get some experience.

It's good to know there are some decent places off the Jacksonville coast to dive.

Kirk

Let me know when your going. I'll drive over from Tallahassee for a dive. Saturdays are good for me. or JaxDiver, if you have room for one more sometime, let me know. I don't mind paying gas/lunch whateva.

Welcome PhishSchticks to the board and to the diving world. You are in for a great adventure. Look forward to possibly doing some diving with you. Have a great day.

Jacksonville really does have some awesome diving.

I guess yall were diving BR....that area especially has some great diving. The HL freighter is probably my favorite.

As far as dive charters there is the native diver and one other new one advertised in scuba news.

...so what's the scene like in Jax these days. I'm coming from Middle Georgia, and looking for a place to get wet.

Peace!

jaxscubadiver - do you run divers elite?? i thought it closed up?? i drove by there a few months ago (philips hwy) and the shop wasnt there anymore and your website hasnt been updated in almost a year.

as for boats, there is the native diver out of atlantic pro dive and the jacksonville scuba center runs a 6 pack out of palm cove marina. we dove on the native diver (not a resort type setup but they will get you out there and back) last weekend and plan on trying out the JSC boat shortly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom